Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 506 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

23 minutes ago, aaid said:

Not really.  The club makes a clear and unequivocal condemnation of the racist comments of some of its supporters, and yet some people still find a way to criticise them for that.  

Id say its the fact they ignore hundreds/tens of thousands of sectarian comments, wilfully promote and profit off of sectarianism and act like the victim while they are the chief instigator of racism in Scotland, thats the problem for me.

Do they deserve praise for this, maybe. But doing the right thing once, doesn't get you a free pass for thousands of offences, until Rangers step up and accept that the majority of their fans are racist morons who should be banned, the club will never get praised by anyone external.

39 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Id say its the fact they ignore hundreds/tens of thousands of sectarian comments, wilfully promote and profit off of sectarianism and act like the victim while they are the chief instigator of racism in Scotland, thats the problem for me.

Do they deserve praise for this, maybe. But doing the right thing once, doesn't get you a free pass for thousands of offences, until Rangers step up and accept that the majority of their fans are racist morons who should be banned, the club will never get praised by anyone external.

Majority of fans? Care to back that up with any firm evidence.

9 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Are you really saying that less than 25000 sing sectarian songs at Ibrox every second week?

So are you restricting your comments about racist morons to only those who people who go to the stadium then?

From my experience - based on what comes across on TV as I haven't set foot in Ibrox for years - the more objectionable songs were ditched some time agony as for how many people regularly sing songs which could be considered sectarian, I have no idea, but then loud people make more noise than those that are silent.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Not really.  The club makes a clear and unequivocal condemnation of the racist comments of some of its supporters.and yet some people still find a way to criticise them for that.  Since most right-minded people would agree with that condemnation then that can only really be for one of two reasons.  They either agree with the racist comments themselves and disagree with the condemnation - I don't for a second believe that in these cases that's what's going on.  That leads you to the second conclusion, which is to my original point, that Rangers can't do right for doing wrong where some people are concerned.

If you can't bring yourself to praise Rangers for doing this - and I'm not suggesting or expecting that people do that - this really is one of those times when people would be wiser to say nothing. 

Rangers are horrible and thinking that doesn't make you prejudiced, you can create a straw-man argument all you want but my first point is true. Other points being true in no way changes that. Trying to smear someone as prejudiced for saying they are horrible is toxic.

1 minute ago, phart said:

Rangers are horrible and thinking that doesn't make you prejudiced, you can create a straw-man argument all you want but my first point is true. Other points being true in no way changes that. Trying to smear someone as prejudiced for saying they are horrible is toxic.

You also need to look to the definition of prejudice. 

21 minutes ago, duncan II said:

My 48 years on earth. Not entirely scientific, but I trust my judgment.

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

Which is literally the dictionary definition of prejudicial behaviour. 

prejudice
/ˈprɛdʒʊdɪs/

preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

except it's not. You really see folks biases when they end up dying on weird as fuck hills.

Edited by phart

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

Which is literally the dictionary definition of prejudicial behaviour. 

Trusting my judgment based on 48 years experience is the very definition of prejudicial? Aye, okay. I think I’ll leave it there. I’d better not devote any more thought to the matter lest my prejudice levels go off the scale.

Now can either admit got it wrong or we can all get treated to the semantic apocalypse as cogntiive dissonance has the brain searching for rationalisation that can preserve the ego and still somewhat make sense. These situations are the shit i like most about this board, partisans trying to rationalise their view-point against evidence.

7 hours ago, aaid said:

Rangers really can't do right for doing wrong with some people can they?

They are right in their statement but firstly they shouldn't have to come out with it and secondly what about the bigotry and sectarianism every week?

7 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

The statement is pretty strong and to the point, it’s very unrangers like. Don’t think you can fault them on it. (I would think the fact it’s national news rather than just the usual nonsense has forced their hand, but still...)

Slight tangent, but when does the new orange kit go on sale? 😜

yea its a decent statement from them for once

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

this

13 minutes ago, phart said:

prejudice
/ˈprɛdʒʊdɪs/

preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

except it's not. You really see folks biases when they end up dying on weird as fuck hills.

Alternatively. 

dislike, hostility, or unjust behaviour deriving from preconceived and unfounded opinions

so we can argue whether or not someone's preconceptions are valid or not, however *in the specific context we are talking about* which is Rangers - the club - condemning the actions of some of their supporters, IMHO, some of the comments on this thread fit that definition to a T.

BTW, I'm not suggesting it's necessarily wrong for people to have these preconceptions and prejudices, just be honest about it.

2 minutes ago, Kirk said:

They are right in their statement but firstly they shouldn't have to come out with it and secondly what about the bigotry and sectarianism every week?

Nothing like a good old fashioned bit of whataboutery to try and justify your position.  Most people try and avoid using the actual words "what about" though as its a bit of a giveaway. 

9 minutes ago, phart said:

Now can either admit got it wrong or we can all get treated to the semantic apocalypse as cogntiive dissonance has the brain searching for rationalisation that can preserve the ego and still somewhat make sense. These situations are the shit i like most about this board, partisans trying to rationalise their view-point against evidence.

And right on queue, when the arguments starts to falter the verbosity ramps up. 

Not really your argument purely hinges on saying Rangers have done nothing for them to be disliked.

I personally would like to see that case being made. If indeed Rangers are "whiter than white".

I suspect this is laughable for most people to hear, but i'm sure the tittering will subside long enough for us to read the argument that they are indeed that way.

You’ll laugh but I genuinely haven’t met a Rangers fan who isn’t disgusted by the actions of other Rangers fans. 

The statement might be on point but as others have said, it’s hard to take it seriously given the actions or lack of by the clubs board in the past. 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

You’ll laugh but I genuinely haven’t met a Rangers fan who isn’t disgusted by the actions of other Rangers fans.

I'll dive in and say the same...

It is weird, you wonder where it all comes from.

48 minutes ago, aaid said:

So are you restricting your comments about racist morons to only those who people who go to the stadium then?

From my experience - based on what comes across on TV as I haven't set foot in Ibrox for years - the more objectionable songs were ditched some time agony as for how many people regularly sing songs which could be considered sectarian, I have no idea, but then loud people make more noise than those that are silent.

Based on attending a handful of games at Ibrox personally, which includes maybe 6/7 games in the away end as a Dee, once in the home end due to a ticket fiasco, also as a Dee, sitting in corporate hospitality at a Dundee game, and again hospitality at a United game, I have absolutely zero doubt, none whatsoever, that saying Rangers fans are, in the majority racist morons.

So Ive sat behind the goal in the away end, next to the cheap home end seats at Ibrox, and the fans behaviour was awful. Even in hospitality, next to the Club Deck (I think) it was awful. 

Added to watching probably hundreds of games over the years, allowing UEFA charges from last season, there can be no doubt, that the majority of Rangers fans love being racist, they get off on it, its their bi-weekly fix.

The songs may be less objectionable to some, but really it just equates to calling someone a B Bastard, yeah its probably better than calling them a N, but its still 100% racist.

Edited by kumnio

9 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I'll dive in and say the same...

It is weird, you wonder where it all comes from.

Strangely, pretty much the same here.

Its herd mentality, feeling important and part of the group, so yeah fuck off you catholic bastards.