Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 542 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

9 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I don't think people have grasped the rangers business model. 

They wildly overspend to buy the league and then rich benefactors come in and bail them out through fresh capital, soft loans or whatever.

This went on for the 125 years before the went into liquidation and it has resumed in the years post liquidation with the new club.

Big losses, new capital; to keep afloat. It is a pattern you are going to see over and over.

The ONLY reason this model failed was they bit off more than the next guy could chew with the EBTs and HMRC. That was the only reason the wheels came off.

The chances of them being that monumentally stupid again are (you would think) quite slim at least in the medium term.

So they will be 'fine' but they will continue to over spend and rely on sugar daddies (of a blue nose persuasion) who are quite happy to bankroll their 'success'.

I honestly don't understand how FIFA fair play rules do not apply. It is the most blatant long term structural 'buying of the league' in the western world.

To the point they almost suffocated the Scottish league. Look at how poorly we have developed since the 80's versus English Football which went stratospheric just by not being managed by the SFA and having two clubs have a monopoly over decision making. We ended up with a stale boring uninteresting product that no one want to buys in comparison.

Legend...👍

When you compare the relative appointments of the last two Celtic versus Rangers mangers it does indicate Celtic are not trying very hard. Lennon looked a low rent option after Rodgers. While Gerrard was them breaking the bank.

I had never heard of the guy running Celtic now till he got the job (still cant remember his name). Whereas this appointment seems like Van Bronckhurst taking a step down from what his next job should have been based on his managerial track record.

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

I don't think people have grasped the rangers business model. 

They wildly overspend to buy the league and then rich benefactors come in and bail them out through fresh capital, soft loans or whatever.

This went on for the 125 years before the went into liquidation and it has resumed in the years post liquidation with the new club.

Big losses, new capital; to keep afloat. It is a pattern you are going to see over and over.

The ONLY reason this model failed was they bit off more than the next guy could chew with the EBTs and HMRC. That was the only reason the wheels came off.

The chances of them being that monumentally stupid again are (you would think) quite slim at least in the medium term.

So they will be 'fine' but they will continue to over spend and rely on sugar daddies (of a blue nose persuasion) who are quite happy to bankroll their 'success'.

I honestly don't understand how FIFA fair play rules do not apply. It is the most blatant long term structural 'buying of the league' in the western world.

To the point they almost suffocated the Scottish league. Look at how poorly we have developed since the 80's versus English Football which went stratospheric just by not being managed by the SFA and having two clubs have a monopoly over decision making. We ended up with a stale boring uninteresting product that no one want to buys in comparison.

Yet when the monopoly was bust another team kept it ticking over until Rangers got back in the league. 

Surely you cant blame the Old Firm (too much) for protecting the Old Firm. Surely the blame has to lie at the feet of Aberdeen. 

Vote to change the 11-1 voting structure then the league can pretty much do what it wants forevermore. 

7 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

What season in China? 

Exactly 🤣

I find it a little odd that he quits Feyenoord 'for a new challenge', does nothing for 6 months then rocks up in China at Guanzhou? Won 7 out of 23 games in China and finished 11th before quitting last December. Now I'm not saying any of that makes him a bad coach but Postecoglu's record was subjected to minute scrutiny (and ridicule). There's already a marked difference here 🤔

24 minutes ago, slasher said:

Exactly 🤣

I find it a little odd that he quits Feyenoord 'for a new challenge', does nothing for 6 months then rocks up in China at Guanzhou? Won 7 out of 23 games in China and finished 11th before quitting last December. Now I'm not saying any of that makes him a bad coach but Postecoglu's record was subjected to minute scrutiny (and ridicule). There's already a marked difference here 🤔

I would guess the Celtic coach was under more scrutiny and research because nobody had ever heard of him. 

4 hours ago, slasher said:

What? To the extent that nobody questions what he was doing last year? 😂

GvB is much more of a known quantity to the Scottish media and public.  His track record is a player is well known, not that that is directly related to his capabilities as a manager.  People also can get a handle on his time at Feyenoord, the relative strengths of the Dutch League compared to the SPFL and can make their own minds up.  That’s the general narrative around him, the time in China isn’t specifically relevant.  He’s got a good track record, time will tell if he’s successful in Glasgow.

Postecoglu was a complete unknown so it’s completely understandable that his career was picked apart because that’s the only way to try and explain what sort of manager he is.  You’d also get more debate, probably based on a lack of knowledge about the level he’d managed at and how that relates to the likelihood of him being a success at Celtic.

As a comparison, when Martin O’Neill joined Celtic, I suspect the chat was all about his time as a player and his spell at Leicester and the success he had there.  I bet him walking out on Norwich after six months didn’t get much coverage then.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

GvB is much more of a known quantity to the Scottish media and public.  His track record is a player is well known, not that that is directly related to his capabilities as a manager.  People also can get a handle on his time at Feyenoord, the relative strengths of the Dutch League compared to the SPFL and can make their own minds up.  That’s the general narrative around him, the time in China isn’t specifically relevant.  He’s got a good track record, time will tell if he’s successful in Glasgow.

Postecoglu was a complete unknown so it’s completely understandable that his career was picked apart because that’s the only way to try and explain what sort of manager he is.  You’d also get more debate, probably based on a lack of knowledge about the level he’d managed at and how that relates to the likelihood of him being a success at Celtic.

As a comparison, when Martin O’Neill joined Celtic, I suspect the chat was all about his time as a player and his spell at Leicester and the success he had there.  I bet him walking out on Norwich after six months didn’t get much coverage then.

I find it bizarre that his most recent job in football management is irrelevant but hey ho, that's just me. 

2 hours ago, slasher said:

I find it bizarre that his most recent job in football management is irrelevant but hey ho, that's just me. 

They’ve got previous for ignoring or whitewashing events and history they don’t like. Van Bronckhurst came across as a decent guy & was a fair player for the huns but here’s hoping he screws them up totally 😜

3 hours ago, slasher said:

Obviously it's only Irrelevant to fit the narrative, We couldn't have a headline like "X-hun who royally fucked up in China takes over as Hun Manager"

42 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

How much have Rangers spent since the reformation with only one trophy to show for it 🤣🤣🤣

'The reformation' 😂😂😂

Nice wee tribute to the new boss with the Orange kit, even better tribute to the old boss by getting fucked oot as usual 🤣

48 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

How much have Rangers spent since the reformation with only one trophy to show for it 🤣🤣🤣

Rangers lost 24 million pounds in the last set of accounts. I think that is something like 50% of their turnover. That is blatant financial doping by anyone's standards.

That was them buying the league to stop the 10 in a row. (Coincidentally Celtic took their foot right off the pedal at the same time. ) They want to keep it 'competitive' but only for them.

Every year I think we have seen this paragraph of the auditors report.

MATERIAL UNCERTAINTY RELATED TO GOING CONCERN
We draw attention to information in note 1 in the financial statements concerning the Group’s ability to continue as a going concern. In order to continue operations for the next 12 months the Group is dependent upon raising additional finance to cover projected cash shortfalls in season 2021/22 and 2022/23. The precise level of funding required is uncertain as it is inherently dependent on a number of key variables, including the achievement of forecast football performance and player trading. As stated in note 1 the risk that key cash flows are not achieved as forecast, along with the absence of a binding debt facility for any shortfalls, indicate that a material uncertainty exists that may cast significant doubt on the Group’s ability to continue as a going concern. Our opinion is not modified in respect of this matter.
In auditing the financial statements, we have concluded that the directors’ use of the going concern basis of accounting in the preparation of the financial statements is appropriate.
Our responsibilities and the responsibilities of the directors with respect to going concern are describe in the relevant sections
of this report.

What the auditors are saying is..."If no new sugar daddy appears then this company will go bankrupt (cease to be a 'going concern') in 12 months or less... but because we (the auditors) are confident a new sugar daddy will be found... we are letting it go.

They put this in every year from what I can see.

Rangers live hand to mouth. Sugar daddy to sugar daddy.

Edited by thplinth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Where you seeing that? (The first bit, not the last?). 

I’m assuming the same place where they claim to be the first major European  team to reach 150 years, they’ve completely dismissed Nottingham Forest and two European cups being 157 years old. 

57 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I’m assuming the same place where they claim to be the first major European  team to reach 150 years, they’ve completely dismissed Nottingham Forest and two European cups being 157 years old. 

They do like a fairy tale don’t they, the mythical 55 is simply one of the best 😜