Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 534 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Maybe it is just me VA.  I think it is a derogatory term which gets used too much on here.  My dad used to say if you cant say something nice then say nothing at all.  All depends on the context I suppose.  If I go and see my Celtic pals they will call me a hun and i can call them tims.  But you are correct, I was a bit over sensitive.  Stand on ya sheep shagger 👍

Hun isn’t derogatory. The words used on here before or after it often are which I think is where the discomfort comes from.

What did the Rangers fans used to call Mark Hateley?

24 minutes ago, Tiny Tim said:

Hun isn’t derogatory. The words used on here before or after it often are which I think is where the discomfort comes from.

What did the Rangers fans used to call Mark Hateley?

Of course hun is derogatory.  Just like calling some Ginger or fattie.  Ya loony.  Anyway what did Rangers fans call Mark Hateley?

4 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I was surprised at you getting riled by the word 'hun' and suggesting it was bigoted. It's certainly meant to be derogatory, but not sectarian as it it only targets football supporters of one club. Hunbelievable that you'd think otherwise.

I’m not really sure I want to pick at this scab but I’ve seen Hearts referred to on here, numerous times over the years, as Diet Huns. So it’s not always just aimed at one club and would indicate that, for some, it’s more aimed at the Unionist and perhaps Protestant element of the support. 

I’ll follow that up by saying I’m in no way offended by being called a hun. In much the same way I’m pretty sure that no Celtic fans are offended by being called Fenians. 

Edited by Fairbairn

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I’m not really sure I want to pick at this scab but I’ve seen Hearts referred to on here, numerous times over the years, as Diet Huns. So it’s not always just aimed at one club and would indicate that, for some, it’s more aimed at the Unionist and perhaps Protestant element of the support. 

I’ll follow that up by saying I’m in no way offended by being called a hun. In much the same way I’m pretty sure that no Celtic fans are offended by being called Fenians. 

As I said about the word hun I think it depends on the context and the other words surrounding it.  I said the F***n word once when my dad was showing me how to change a starter on his Ford Cortina.  I checked my finger. I got a smack over the head and never said it again.  Tim and Hun are ok I suppose as football fans get aggressive and go over the top at times.  Football is a passionate game for sure.  I know pals who hate other teams for no apparent reason.  It defies logic.  Worked with a wee guy in Motherwell who never said boo to a Goose at work all week.  I witnessed him at Motherwell games when I used to take people to hospitality and he turned in to raving lunatic.  Bigotry included and on the catholic side.  Hope he has grown up now.  Same all over in the world with football though.  That is why we love it.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

😂

Being serious, there is a section of the rangers support who are desperate for the word hun to be lebelled a sectarian slur, in scotland it has always been used to describe rangers fans not protestants. From what i remember it started when rangers played wolves in the 70s and the huns trashed the town. The day after a newspaper described them as marauding huns.

A nice history lesson to start the day before you hit the farm RH

Celtic were the original huns up to the early 80s and Wolves away was 1961 but thanks anyway for the history lesson

1 minute ago, Mitre said:

Celtic were the original huns up to the early 80s and Wolves away was 1961 but thanks anyway for the history lesson

I don't think that Celtic were the original huns.  Never like quoting wikipedia as I don't accept it for students reports.  But  hey ho.  Quite prepared to accept it this time.  Stand by.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns

3 hours ago, Mitre said:

Yeah, when I was growing up (Glasgow in the 80's) Celtic were always the huns. Not sure when it changed, but its a pretty recent thing.

2 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

When did Celtic start being called the timalloys, shortened to the tims and the bhoys?

The Timalloys were a Glasgow gang of the East End in the 1920s.

Bhoys does not come from Timalloys.

It dates from the late 1890s or early 1900s when a club poster referred to them as "the bold Bhoys".

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The Timalloys were a Glasgow gang of the East End in the 1920s.

Bhoys does not come from Timalloys.

It dates from the late 1890s or early 1900s when a club poster referred to them as "the bold Bhoys".

Never knew that.  Just one of those things that you grow up with without thinking about.  I grew up thinking that the song the Billy Boys was about King Billy!!

7 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Of course hun is derogatory.  Just like calling some Ginger or fattie.  Ya loony.  Anyway what did Rangers fans call Mark Hateley?

Just a couple of posts down and you’re agreeing with me :-)) That it’s about context and the words surrounding it.

Hateley came to Rangers with the nickname 'Attila' given to him by Milan's supporters. Not sure if it was Rangers or others that then christened him 'Attila the Hun' but for sure your fans quite happily called him it.

5 hours ago, Mitre said:

There was an article where rangers were described as marauding huns after they trashed a city. I was sure it was wolverhampton

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Hearts are referred to as huns because they sing similar songs to rangers fans, again nothing to do with protestents

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There was an article where rangers were described as marauding huns after they trashed a city. I was sure it was wolverhampton

Might have been Newcastle? Manchester? Barcelona. Just pick a city, any city.

The Tims were were called huns back in the 70s and 80s, and probably before that. 

Edited by Orraloon

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Might have been Newcastle? Manchester? Barcelona. Jut pick a city, any city.

The Tims were were called huns back in the 70s and 80s, and probably before that. 

Tims, huns......whats the difference? Apart from the colour of kit.

9 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

So it’s not just a term for Rangers fans then. 

In the present day context among Scottish Football fans it is.  I don't know if Hibs or Celtic fans call Hearts huns or not.  I went to the Hearts Aberdeen game last season when Hearts won.  My mate who refutes any suggestion that some of the Hearts support are bigoted would not accept the huge Union Jack I was pointing out to him near the Dons end.  Denial!!  This is not a question for you Fairbain but to the Dons fans on here.  Is there any sort of bigotry with Aberdeen fans?  

8 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

In the present day context among Scottish Football fans it is.  I don't know if Hibs or Celtic fans call Hearts huns or not.  I went to the Hearts Aberdeen game last season when Hearts won.  My mate who refutes any suggestion that some of the Hearts support are bigoted would not accept the huge Union Jack I was pointing out to him near the Dons end.  Denial!!  This is not a question for you Fairbain but to the Dons fans on here.  Is there any sort of bigotry with Aberdeen fans?  

No, we hate everyone equally. 

• 2 weeks later...