Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 535 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, dj mick said:

This is only up to the end of june,,Park footing the shortfall too, Not exactly sweetie money.

It is sweetie money in terms of a football club the size of Rangers.  You ever seen the losses of Barcelona and Real Madrid?  Man Utd lost 23 million this year.  Big clubs can handle that.  Stand on.

Truthfully the loss isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I thought with covid it would be closer to 25 million but the Europa League run was apparently worth around 18 million.

It's obviously not sustainable to continue down this path, without player sales or champions League money. this season will be even worse with out no crowds or player sales. Tbh I'm still surprised we knocked back 16 million for Morelos, as it would've completely covered last season's losses and gave us our biggest ever sale.

Modern business runs on profit or loss.  Most big teams in Europe run on losses.  As long as they are paying their taxes.  It was Murray and offering EBT's that fecked Rangers.  Clubs like any other business as long as they have a good turnover and customers are usually ok.  Unfortunately what has happened with Covid it is more difficult with hospitatity  sales etc.  Same as all other clubs just now.  

2 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Modern business runs on profit or loss.  Most big teams in Europe run on losses.  As long as they are paying their taxes.  It was Murray and offering EBT's that fecked Rangers.  Clubs like any other business as long as they have a good turnover and customers are usually ok.  Unfortunately what has happened with Covid it is more difficult with hospitatity  sales etc.  Same as all other clubs just now.  

How much longer can the "smaller" clubs survive during this pandemic? Surely they must really be feeling it. I feel sorry for them as this is something completely out of their control...

14 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

How much longer can the "smaller" clubs survive during this pandemic? Surely they must really be feeling it. I feel sorry for them as this is something completely out of their control...

Totally agree.  Hopefully streams and stuff from FB and just giving can help.  Saying that from my junior club Ramy.  They are showing the games live and you can give a wee donation.  Unfortunately the game is off today because of weather.  But do feel for the 'smaller' clubs.  Hopefully the Celtic game will be on hesgoal today.  You watching it?

3 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Totally agree.  Hopefully streams and stuff from FB and just giving can help.  Saying that from my junior club Ramy.  They are showing the games live and you can give a wee donation.  Unfortunately the game is off today because of weather.  But do feel for the 'smaller' clubs.  Hopefully the Celtic game will be on hesgoal today.  You watching it?

I am, probably going down my CSC..

Just now, Rolling hIlls said:

Keep in touch pal.  I need it to be a draw!!!  But looking forward to it myself.  At least we have a title race at last.  Rangers playing Dons tomorrow and could be tasty.

Title race definitely. Every match is a must win now. Aye, hopefully Aberdeen show up the morra and make a go of it... Cheers RH

On 11/6/2020 at 5:16 PM, Stu101 said:

Yeah, when I was growing up (Glasgow in the 80's) Celtic were always the huns. Not sure when it changed, but its a pretty recent thing.

I worked in Edinburgh in the late 80s and the Hibbies there all referred to Rangers as the Huns. Growing up in Ayrshire I'd never heard the terminology at all!

7 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Truthfully the loss isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I thought with covid it would be closer to 25 million but the Europa League run was apparently worth around 18 million.

It's obviously not sustainable to continue down this path, without player sales or champions League money. this season will be even worse with out no crowds or player sales. Tbh I'm still surprised we knocked back 16 million for Morelos, as it would've completely covered last season's losses and gave us our biggest ever sale.

Refreshingly honest.

I don't get the Morelos decision either, did you really spend £Millions on 2 new strikers just for back up, pretty extravagant for Scotland! Also, particularly during Covid, do you need Greg Stewart, Jordan Jones, Brandon Barker etc? Maybe the backers don't care how much they lose this season but agree you'll surely be looking to get a big sale sometime, can't remember your last one?

6 hours ago, mr mojo risin said:

Refreshingly honest.

I don't get the Morelos decision either, did you really spend £Millions on 2 new strikers just for back up, pretty extravagant for Scotland! Also, particularly during Covid, do you need Greg Stewart, Jordan Jones, Brandon Barker etc? Maybe the backers don't care how much they lose this season but agree you'll surely be looking to get a big sale sometime, can't remember your last one?

Alan Hutton was our last big sale. I think since our top league return it's been windass who went for 2.5 million. 

I think the board thought Lille would come back with 18-20 million, so stuck to.their guns. Jones, Barker and Stewart, one at most is needed of those 3 and none of them are the required quality. I'm hoping Kai Kennedy signs a new deal and is brought back to replace them.

The board obviously feel the short term losses can be covered by them and investors, but I suspect this is the last season of that. We have multiple high 7/ low 8 value figure players and quite a couple (Barisic and Goldson) are reaching the age where their value will start to diminish. It has to be basis of Rangers (like it is with Celtic), sign good 19-25 year old players for a few million, shine them up and sell them on for profit. Then repeat the process. It obviously doesn't work everytime but it is a proven formula.

If Rangers can sell Morelos, Goldson, Barisic and Kamara in the summer then it covers all our losses for the last few years. At their lowest value you could command atleast 40-50 million for them combined. Then you still have Kent and Aribo who would cost 10-15 million each. Beyond that you have Hagi, Itten, Bassey, Katic, Patterson who all have scope to improve and become valuable players.

Still it's a risky strategy keeping all these players, one bad injury and you lose 10-15 million for Glen Kamara. The board are betting on winning the league, players preforming well at the summer international tournaments and getting the easier route into the champions League.

One champions league group stage qualification or one big player sale, cover the losses for the year. Its the strategy Celtic have applied for years and works for them. The problem is we have yet to prove it works for us. This summer is where we will see if board is doing the right thing covering losses until major players sales and champions League money or if they went full Murray millions.

On 11/21/2020 at 7:34 AM, Rolling hIlls said:

modern businesses run on cash flow 

many a profitable business with paper profits, have went into liquidation due to lack of cashflow

generally share prices are based on cashflow

turnover means nothing without profit, because you are tying up capital that could be invested elsewhere, and there is a cost of capital associated with that investment

currently football teams get away with the cashflow thing, by having loans from directors which are converted to equity, but from a business point of view they are not well run - that and that banks really have to roll over current facilities or else what else are they going to do  

Edited by euan2020

2 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

modern businesses run on cash flow 

many a profitable business with paper profits, have went into liquidation due to lack of cashflow

generally share prices are based on cashflow

Many big businesses run on overdraft and make losses.  Yes, cash flow is usually the main thing and also confidence.

On 11/21/2020 at 6:46 AM, Rolling hIlls said:

It is sweetie money in terms of a football club the size of Rangers.  You ever seen the losses of Barcelona and Real Madrid?  Man Utd lost 23 million this year.  Big clubs can handle that.  Stand on.

Big Clubs can - But what about Rangers ?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271581/revenue-of-soccer-clubs-worldwide/#:~:text=During the 2018%2F2019 season,generating approximately 840.8 million euros.

15 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It has to be basis of Rangers (like it is with Celtic), sign good 19-25 year old players for a few million, shine them up and sell them on for profit. Then repeat the process. It obviously doesn't work everytime but it is a proven formula.

I wish Aberdeen would try this on a smaller scale. Surely the point of selling someone like McKenna for £3Million is to re-invest a decent % of it signing 2 or 3 good young players, the likes of Lewis Ferguson? It's possible that was the plan for Hernandez (rumour mill has the fee as high as £800k but I doubt it was anywhere near that), however even with 9 players out today he didn't start.

3 minutes ago, mr mojo risin said:

I wish Aberdeen would try this on a smaller scale. Surely the point of selling someone like McKenna for £3Million is to re-invest a decent % of it signing 2 or 3 good young players, the likes of Lewis Ferguson? It's possible that was the plan for Hernandez (rumour mill has the fee as high as £800k but I doubt it was anywhere near that), however even with 9 players out today he didn't start.

It’s heavily rumoured that Hernandez wasn’t a Mcinnes signing and will probably be at Atlanta United sometime in the future. 

13 hours ago, mr mojo risin said:

Tbh during the financial mess that is covid, I can understand why they didn't reinvest the McKenna money.

I mean Aberdeen did do it years ago when the side was challenging Celtic a bit. the problem was too many players were allowed to run their contracts down, rather than moving them on at the right time. Instead of getting millions for Jack, Shinnie and McLean Aberdeen got a few hundred thousand. 

I was reading an article talking about Aberdeen targeting young Scots and giving them a place to develop into Scotland internationals. You have already started that with Ferguson and McCrorie who should net you a 3-5 million each and are after Allan Campbell and the like.

If young Scots who are leaving for reasonable fees or frees see that, then they will see Aberdeen as the perfect place to take that next step over the OF or England. 

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

On 11/24/2020 at 2:07 PM, Rolling hIlls said:

Rangers moving in the right direction now Scotty.  Too many big investors.  Stand by.

Rangers news: Celtic losing more day-to-day than Rangers (ibroxnews.com)

that's a good business model. "let's just aim to lose less money than Celtic."

I would imagine that Celtic have suitable funds to ride out some losses, rangers on the other hand....