Series Worth Watching - Page 88 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

sounds a bit of debate over DS - that he created the legend himself in his book in the 70s  ; his brother and more importantly Paddy Mayne were more deserving of credit , and Sterlings perfomance during early raids were not comparable - this was only from a history podcast about a book on this subject - unless the author was making it all up ?

ive only seen the preview of the show - first thing that put me off , was the boy band haircuts and designer sunglasses - any photos ive seen of LRDG etc , all fully bearded and sunglasses usually sealed at side (sandstorms ?)

Ben McIntyre, who was the author of the book upon which the series is based, was the first historian to actually be allowed to see the SAS own WW2 records that had locked up for decades and is also a well respected authority on the espionage and special forces of WW2. I would be inclined to accept what he has to say.

The accompanying BBC documentary series also showed a lot of film and photographs of the original SAS from when they did their training before their first mission. All looked very neat and tidy and clean shaven.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Ben McIntyre, who was the author of the book upon which the series is based, was the first historian to actually be allowed to see the SAS own WW2 records that had locked up for decades and is also a well respected authority on the espionage and special forces of WW2. I would be inclined to accept what he has to say.

The accompanying BBC documentary series also showed a lot of film and photographs of the original SAS from when they did their training before their first mission. All looked very neat and tidy and clean shaven.

appreciate the feedback

the link i posted after the fact shows the book review by Gavin Mortimer ; which is obviously at odds with the accepted narrative

tbh i much prefer the legend that has grown over the years, lot of kids of my age were reared on Victor & Commando comics and old war films . so to have the bubble potentially burst (as it often is over the last few decades is not great)

the 2 versions though do seem very much at odds with each other ; hence my questioning it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2022 at 9:06 PM, vanderark14 said:

So far SAS rogue heroes is brilliant. Up do episode 5 and have downloaded the accompanying documentary to watch once I'm done with the series 

Started it last night.  First episode was OK so will stick with it.  You can tell straight away it's from the same guy that did Peaky Blinders though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most folk on here probably think this should be in the ‘Series not worth watching’  thread , but, after about 5 or 6 years away, I am watching ‘ I am a Celebrity ‘ again and actually quite enjoying it . I am not up to date though, I am watching on catch uo and only as far as Matt Hancocks first trial.
I am finding it quite funny. I didnt know who half the celebrities were but most of them are fairly likeable at the moment . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven’t seen it yet but the creators of ‘Dark’ have another German series out on Netflix called 1899. If its half as good as Dark it will be worth watching. Watch with subtitles though, its always far better if you can cope with subtitles. 
 

https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/us/1899-on-netflix-heres-one-setting-you-should-change-before-watching-the-series/amp_articleshow/95669520.cms

Edited by TDYER63
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Haven’t seen it yet but the creators of ‘Dark’ have another German series out on Netflix called 1899. If its half as good as Dark it will be worth watching. Watch with subtitles though, its always far better if you can cope with subtitles. 
 

https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/us/1899-on-netflix-heres-one-setting-you-should-change-before-watching-the-series/amp_articleshow/95669520.cms

Subtitles do my head in, and I know I've missed watching some great movies and series etc because of this but I just can train myself to put up with it. It's like shite dubbing, if the dubbing is poor I usually can't watch the film or show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Kirk said:

Subtitles do my head in, and I know I've missed watching some great movies and series etc because of this but I just can train myself to put up with it. It's like shite dubbing, if the dubbing is poor I usually can't watch the film or show.

You are not alone. Loads of folk hate subtitles. I dont mind it at all and as I get older i am using subtitles for some English speaking shows as my hearing is getting worse 🙄 So in 20 yrs you can catch up with all the good shows you have missed 😊

I can honestly say some of the best shows i have watched in the last few years have been foreign. I cant do dubbing its too weird. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2022 at 4:10 PM, robbo cop said:

Watched a couple of episodes of 'You' on Netflix, not bad so far.

I read the book years ago as well 

I enjoyed the first series. The second and third were ok but just not as good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2022 at 10:52 AM, TDYER63 said:

You are not alone. Loads of folk hate subtitles. I dont mind it at all and as I get older i am using subtitles for some English speaking shows as my hearing is getting worse 🙄 So in 20 yrs you can catch up with all the good shows you have missed 😊

I can honestly say some of the best shows i have watched in the last few years have been foreign. I cant do dubbing its too weird. 

Get a hearing aid 😂😂 my Mrs mum eventually got one, says it's a game changer 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...