Series Worth Watching - Page 69 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

12 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

I used to watch it on amc “live” each sunday ; but then went totally cold turkey when they arrived at the terminus / baseball over the head bit - eating the guys foot …. I thought this is pushing it too far : )

Fuckin prude 😉

14 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Succession is v good agree

some great characters ; matthew macf prob my favourite

latest series of narcos mexico dragged on , and bit lacking

not much else on

There are so many good characters, the script is brilliant but they need to be able to pull it off and they do.   Matthew MacF is probably my favourite also, though Kieran Culkin runs him close, and  big daft Greig is funny. This weeks episode when he and Matthew MacF are in the cafe talking about prison life was hilarious. The whole episode was great. I have only really seen Matthew MacF in Ripper St , what a change of character. 

Watching episode 4 of WoT time now, it's actually alright. The first book isn't strong really and a lot of exposition is needed. I think they're doing an alright job with it. Although I almost never watch anything so I might be the worst judge and this is nostlagia for me so obviously colours things.

15 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Watched an episode and a half of squid games.

does it get better?

Not really, I thought the ending was very poor. The first couple of episodes drew me in but found it disappointing overall.

Watching Ted Lasso right now which is on Apple TV. Really enjoying that and would recommend. Think you can get it on a free trial too.

I just don't think it is coherent if it is a work of satire like Animal Farm say.

Can you tell me what it's message is?

I am about to watch episode 4 but my hopes that it being Korean would mean it was before netflix scriptwriters  fucked it are long gone. I think netflix commissioned it. It was pre-fucked.

duh! on my part!

Edited by thplinth

49 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I just don't think it is coherent if it is a work of satire like Animal Farm say.

Can you tell me what it's message is?

I am about to watch episode 4 but my hopes that it being Korean would mean it was before netflix scriptwriters  fucked it are long gone. I think netflix commissioned it. It was pre-fucked.

duh! on my part!

Maybe you're not meant to think too deeply about it!  I'm not sure if it's got a message, unless the thing was about just what folk would be prepared to do when they absolutely had to?  The episodes where the contestants had to team up were absolutely brilliant TV as was the one where they had to pick their place in line from 1-16.

5 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Maybe you're not meant to think too deeply about it!  I'm not sure if it's got a message, unless the thing was about just what folk would be prepared to do when they absolutely had to?  

It is that and about how the human mind works and works differently in different people. 

It's a critique of current state of capitalism and obsession with money and it being the sole arbiter of worth, if you're speaking about squid game. It's not subtle.

I've only seen a wee bit but the maker states it unequivocably as well.

"The premise is ironic and fascinating. I also think viewers around the world deeply relate to the theme of economic inequality and the problems of modern capitalism, especially in times of a global pandemic."

On 11/26/2021 at 12:38 PM, TDYER63 said:

There are so many good characters, the script is brilliant but they need to be able to pull it off and they do.   Matthew MacF is probably my favourite also, though Kieran Culkin runs him close, and  big daft Greig is funny. This weeks episode when he and Matthew MacF are in the cafe talking about prison life was hilarious. The whole episode was great. I have only really seen Matthew MacF in Ripper St , what a change of character. 

yes thats probably my 1,2,3 also

started watching a show 'my shrink next door ' Will Ferrell & Paul Rudd (neither really my favourites)  j ; but surprisingly am really enjoying it - straight roles for both of them 

9 hours ago, phart said:

It's a critique of current state of capitalism and obsession with money and it being the sole arbiter of worth, if you're speaking about squid game. It's not subtle.

I've only seen a wee bit but the maker states it unequivocably as well.

"The premise is ironic and fascinating. I also think viewers around the world deeply relate to the theme of economic inequality and the problems of modern capitalism, especially in times of a global pandemic."

It also does what I said and show you how different people react. It makes you think how you might react in the various situations too. It might not be the intention but it does this.

6 minutes ago, Lamia said:

It also does what I said and show you how different people react. It makes you think how you might react in the various situations too. It might not be the intention but it does this.

I'm sure it has several themes.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:10 PM, Tiny Tim said:

Not really, I thought the ending was very poor. The first couple of episodes drew me in but found it disappointing overall.

I am trying to plow through it so don’t want to provoke spoilers but yeah it is disappointing so far but perhaps only because I had elevated expectations given the high reviews.

i think it is muddled as a work of satire on free market versus command economies or ‘capitalism’ and beyond that it is quite run of the mill. Will circle back if I ever watch all of it.

Edited by thplinth

I mean just take the main protagonist, our ‘hero’. In the first episode we see him visiting his mum in hospital who had collapsed and the doctor revealed to him her semi gangrenous toes due to diabetes. We then learn, as she is forced to walk home untreated, that her arsehole waster son had cashed in her medical insurance to bet on a horse or some shit… and this is your hero against capitalism? What a piece of shit yet that is capitalism’s fault. Hmmm… maybe in netflixland. Animal farm it ain’t.

The coffins wrapped up in bows like gifts going into the ovens is definitely weird. Gifts to whom?

The stairs that they have them all walking around for no reason (including the guards I think at one point) is very reminiscent of that well known optical illusion...

72a68dae-7212-4d2c-a581-024ca67a95cd&f=1

So they are trying to send a message it seems but I am not sure it adds up to anything coherent.... yet.

The guards are particularly problematic for me but I am guessing that sub plot they are running is going somewhere so I'll wait and see first.

Episode 5 next. Enthusiasm definitely waning a little. Not helping knowing the ending is going to be disappointing.

Capitalism is one of those words that if you ask people to define what they mean by it you will get a lot of different answers. It is a bit of a bogey man word.

Which is why I always try to draw it back to if people want a free market based economy or a command economy... choose your answer carefully. Because one involves you being free to choose what you want to do and the other involves you being told what to do. The clue is in the names.

Humans have been trading freely for as long as recorded history and well before that. So let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. We have got problems for sure, especially around the control of money. Money is a store of power and enormous amounts of money / capital have been accumulated, sums that dwarf the activities of 'normal' people. This is where the 'capitalism' comes in... and yeah it is a big problem for us all. Wars are started through it, most of them you could argue. 

Our politicians look like they are corrupt, the free press is not remotely free, most of Scotland is owned by shadowy outsiders who maintain their bare killing fields to butcher our wildlife for sport (nice land reform by the way SNP), even academia has been bought out... it goes on and on. 

God might rule in heaven but evil runs the world and money is the tool. I am not sure if that is where this is heading but... Quite thought provoking though. 😀

On 11/29/2021 at 7:10 PM, Tiny Tim said:

Watching Ted Lasso right now which is on Apple TV. Really enjoying that and would recommend. Think you can get it on a free trial too.

Lasso starts off ok, then it fades into american shmaltz,, 

Money Heist finished on Netflix, while the final season wasn't as good as the first, it was still an excellent series. 

Cant get into Succession at all, every character is quite dislikable. Need to find a series that I like now..

23 hours ago, kumnio said:

Money Heist finished on Netflix, while the final season wasn't as good as the first, it was still an excellent series. 

Cant get into Succession at all, every character is quite dislikable. Need to find a series that I like now..

That's what I like about succession, each character is an arsehole with the exception of Greg who is just a dumb ass 

Roman is fuckin hilarious too

On 12/5/2021 at 9:25 PM, kumnio said:

21 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

That's what I like about succession, each character is an arsehole with the exception of Greg who is just a dumb ass 

Roman is fuckin hilarious too

I have recommended Succession to some of my friends who normally have similar tastes to me and a few feel the same as Kumnio, they just cant get into it as the characters are so horrible. But I feel like VA, its the fact they are so awful that makes it funny. Its so over the top you cannot take it seriously . Even the way some of it is filmed is a bit like an amateur show, the camera is a bit jerky, which makes it even more of a spoof.