Series Worth Watching - Page 63 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

On 8/12/2021 at 7:41 AM, TDYER63 said:

😂

I should have mentioned it was a few years old. I only found out about it recently. Its like when people talk about The Fall , like it is some new release , and I am thinking, I am sure I saw that years ago. 
I finished Catastrophe really quickly , Sharon Horgan is very good. Will try Divorce too , though it may give Mr Tidy some ideas so I will vet it first . 

I have watched one episode of Call My Agent that you suggested . I wasn’t blown away but enjoyed it enough to watch another. I felt the same about Schitts Creek and ended up loving it. 

I was told to watch out for the pants episode in series 2. It took a few episodes of Call My Agent before I started to enjoy it, might not be your thing but it’s one of those where you need to get to know the characters.

On 8/12/2021 at 7:45 AM, TDYER63 said:

Will take a look at L’immortale as I really enjoyed Gomorrah too. Though I only have Amazon Prime and Netflix. 

Latest series of Bosch didn’t disappoint 👍

Pleased you enjoyed the final season of Bosch. I was reading that there will be a spinoff with Bosch, his daughter and the Honey Chandler character. But who knows when. Hope you can track down L'Immortale - really good film.

22 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

the shots of the car in front taken from what presumably was a camera mounted on top of a truck driving behind were simply amazing. Accompanied by the signature undertone music - it became my favourite part of what were already excellent episodes. And bizarrely this shot seems to be unique to Gomorrah. Stunning yet simplicity in itself. 

Yeah - driving behind cars or the motorcycles they all seem to have over there. Loved those shots. As for the music - it almost became a character itself. You knew when you heard those tones that there was a 75% chance someone was about to get betrayed and then smoked. Sometimes they used it for plot development and not out and out violence so it could be a red herring occasionally. Clever. Can't wait till season 5 is available to watch.

17 hours ago, slasher said:

I’m deep into season 3 of Gomorra and you can’t help but be struck by the sickening poverty of Naples. How I wish someone would make something of similar quality here covering the underworld of places like Possil and Govanhill without making part of it all a big laugh 😠

Yeah, totally captured the reality of life for the folks who live there for real. The fact you barely see the centre of Naples or anything that would look appealing really hammers home why becoming a career criminal may be the only option for many there. I've even talked to folks who said they tried watching but they had to stop as it was just too bleak/grim.

10 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

I was told to watch out for the pants episode in series 2. It took a few episodes of Call My Agent before I started to enjoy it, might not be your thing but it’s one of those where you need to get to know the characters.

It was actually the characters that kept me interested,  thats why I will give it a chance. I was a bit like that with the West Wing at the start.

I struggle with foreign comedies due to the subtitles, I feel you miss some of the humorous expressions  whilst you are reading the text. But I found The Intouchables very funny and that was French subtitles so will stick with it.  

On 7/23/2021 at 9:25 PM, slasher said:

Good time to hit Downton 😉

You should watch Below Deck Mediterranean. It fulfils that holiday vibe for me plus I love boats anyway 😎

Watched Below Deck Mediterranean the other night. Wtf. It was total and utter shit 🤣

I did feel I was on a boat right enough, the camera was jumping all over the place so much I felt sea sick. The episode I saw the new chef had sickness and diarrhoea, and she was chopping and cooking food ! 🤮

2 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Yeah, totally captured the reality of life for the folks who live there for real. The fact you barely see the centre of Naples or anything that would look appealing really hammers home why becoming a career criminal may be the only option for many there. I've even talked to folks who said they tried watching but they had to stop as it was just too bleak/grim.

Outstanding show ; as is the film

the iconic flats they filmed at were torn down seemingly a few years back

Marseilles is also good ; but bit more glitzy

20 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Outstanding show ; as is the film

the iconic flats they filmed at were torn down seemingly a few years back

Marseilles is also good ; but bit more glitzy

Cheers. I've moved on to ZeroZeroZero now (outstanding so far) but once I finish that I will check out Marseilles.

5 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Cheers. I've moved on to ZeroZeroZero now (outstanding so far) but once I finish that I will check out Marseilles.

wow, thats great - i'd never heard of that show tbh - and just watched preview and is right up my alley - funnily enough just finished watching another gabriel byrne series from 2012 i'd never heard of - secret state ; not bad show , but he seemed miscast in that role = you have saved me from the hideous "Warren" , Martin Clunes (who i cannot stand) that the wife picked out after we'd finished Anthony Bourdain series..... yeah weird choices i know

there is also a decent-ish film i saw a year or so back "Ultras" , bit like Gomorrah for casuals .....

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

Just watched the 1st series of Dexter, it's awright I suppose. 

i think "Meh" is the modern north americanism to capture that ; i stuck with it for a long time til john lithgow season i think - theres some series that i come away thinking i shouldnt be watching this , this is crap ; walking dead being another one 

- its amazing though how product and viewing habits have changed from say 2000 ; advent of epic mini-series / movie budgets for tv shows , dvd boxed sets , streaming etc - it used to take 3hrs to watch a 2hr film on tv here with the adverts...

tbh i missed out on Sopranos as didnt have hbo or whatever it was in UK , but borrowed band of brothers dvd set

22 hours ago, bonzo said:

Just watched the 1st series of Dexter, it's awright I suppose. 

I loved it. You do grow to like the characters, I really liked his sister Deb. You just cant take it too seriously, I hated the narration at first but got used to it. 

On 8/13/2021 at 7:35 PM, TDYER63 said:

Watched Below Deck Mediterranean the other night. Wtf. It was total and utter shit 🤣

I did feel I was on a boat right enough, the camera was jumping all over the place so much I felt sea sick. The episode I saw the new chef had sickness and diarrhoea, and she was chopping and cooking food ! 🤮

Aah the Siberian chef season. You should stick with it till at least the staff nights out...... carnage! 🤣

On 7/23/2021 at 4:04 PM, tartandon said:

just got a 6-month free trial of Apple tv+. Ted Lasso is good, as is Defending Jacob

After 3 different folk here saying Ted Lasso was good ; gave it a go last night - utter mince ; felt like was watching a kids show ; although understand is aimed at american market

in comparison watched a bunch of “the increasingly poor decisions of todd margaret” and found it outstanding 

Found a couple of good ones on Prime - Cruel Summer and Nine Perfect Strangers (with Nicole Kidman).

Made it through one episode of Schitt's Creek on Netflix after someone saying it was pretty funny.  Thought it was fkin awful!  :lol:  Dunno - maybe it gets better but not sure if I'd bother.  Same with Catastrophe on Prime.

7 hours ago, daviebee said:

Found a couple of good ones on Prime - Cruel Summer and Nine Perfect Strangers (with Nicole Kidman).

Made it through one episode of Schitt's Creek on Netflix after someone saying it was pretty funny.  Thought it was fkin awful!  :lol:  Dunno - maybe it gets better but not sure if I'd bother.  Same with Catastrophe on Prime.

Both of those as brilliant IMO, but you do have to stick with it, especially Schitt's Creek. Takes a while to warm to the characters but it's cleverly done as it happens when you'll least expect it.

8 hours ago, daviebee said:

I have come to realise that you should never give up on something after one episode. I used to do it a lot but went back to loads of things because of recommendations to see what I had missed and in most cases the recommendations were right.

I didn't; watch Schitt's Creek for a long time because of the snippet and it isn't your standard comedy so I can see why it might not appeal to everyone but for me it is just such a heartwarming thing. I smiled they whole way through. I strangely ended up feeling like I wanted to live there. 😆

23 hours ago, slasher said:

On season 6 of Bosch and it has definitely grown on me after being rather non plussed by the first season or two. 

What did you think about his daughter ? ( apart from being stunning….) 

She was probably the only thing that disappointed me about the programme. I thought her acting was really poor. Tried way too hard to create a moody, awkward teenager.  She wasn't alone right enough,  there were a couple of poor performances but they were mainly on smaller parts. 

13 hours ago, daviebee said:

I agree with Killae and Lamia, give them a bit longer. I was ready for giving up on Schitts Creek after 1 episode but my husband saw something in it , which is quite unusual as he is usually more impatient than me. It takes a few episodes to get into it but they are very short. 

I enjoyed Catastrophe from the start but it also grows on you. On that one though I think if you are not enjoying it after about 3 episodes it may not be for you as it is pretty similar all the way through. 

On 8/13/2021 at 8:29 AM, Tiny Tim said:

Have saw about 5 episodes now and quite enjoying it. Not many laugh out loud moments but it probably isn’t meant to be a sitcom, the older woman with the dog is funny. 

Anyone watching Handmaids Tale ? Probably not on a board made up mainly of guys. I think its excellent. 
I  have been watching the current series of this , and still working my way through The West Wing. Its strange to see Elisabeth Moss and Bradley Whitford co-starring again , but a good bit older . 

20 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Anyone watching Handmaids Tale ? Probably not on a board made up mainly of guys. I think its excellent. 
I  have been watching the current series of this , and still working my way through The West Wing. Its strange to see Elisabeth Moss and Bradley Whitford co-starring again , but a good bit older . 

Just watched the last series, I quite enjoyed it but June was getting right on Mrs b's wick.