Series Worth Watching - Page 60 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

It's good and it's got better as it's went on this time round but it's definitely over hyped and a bit too smart for it's own good.  Martin Compston's English accent is better than Kelly McDonald's Scottish!!

It is ! 😁 How on earth can she make her natural accent sound so false when Martin Compston pulls off a better English accent. Yes, it does try a bit too hard and all the acronyms they use drive me mad, plus the Irish guy overacts a bit with his rolling eyes and stereotypically  Irish ‘jesus , mary, joseph lines , its like Taggart saying ‘och aye the noo  ‘ 🙄  But all in all its pacy enough to keep my interest. 

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

Kelly McDonald's Irish accent and character in Boardwalk Empire were severely annoying. 

I havent seen that, I thought maybe a different accent would suit her better, I can be a bit harsh on Scottish actors and actresses as I feel they often slow down their natural accent to be understood by people outwith Scotland, but to people in Scotland it just sounds false. 

On a different subject, still working my way through Spiral, on series 6 , i think it was you who originally recommended it. I think its a show that has improved with each series which cant be said for many programmes. They must be the worst cops ever though 😂 Last nights episode was Tintin and Gilou fighting in the stake out van and they missed the baddie leaving 😂 Its very good though so thanks 👍

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I havent seen that, I thought maybe a different accent would suit her better, I can be a bit harsh on Scottish actors and actresses as I feel they often slow down their natural accent to be understood by people outwith Scotland, but to people in Scotland it just sounds false. 

On a different subject, still working my way through Spiral, on series 6 , i think it was you who originally recommended it. I think its a show that has improved with each series which cant be said for many programmes. They must be the worst cops ever though 😂 Last nights episode was Tintin and Gilou fighting in the stake out van and they missed the baddie leaving 😂 Its very good though so thanks 👍

That probably was me, Spiral is excellent and gets better every series. Very good characters, all flawed which is usually the key. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Line of Duty ending SPOILER ALERT

UTTER PISH

That is an understatement!

On the bright side, with so many loose ends left unresolved I cannot see that being the last episode.

1 hour ago, 86glebestreet said:

No comment 

😁👍

21 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

That is an understatement!

On the bright side, with so many loose ends left unresolved I cannot see that being the last episode.

I dont know if that could be classed as a bright side tbh ...🙂

All those wee round up captions at the end, wtf were they all about . Do they think we all thought it was a true story ? 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Line of Duty ending SPOILER ALERT

UTTER PISH

Message I sent to Whassap group last night,

What a massive let down LOD was last night, the seventh series comes to an “epic” conclusion with the fourth man being a bloke who only appeared in the show 4 episodes ago, ( they’ve been chasing him for seven years ) 
His character looked like he wouldn’t be able to figure out how to work a pub fruit machine let alone run an OCG.
Shame really cos really enjoyed all the previous series but this was tripe.

7 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

What a massive let down LOD was last night, the seventh series comes to an “epic” conclusion with the fourth man being a bloke who only appeared in the show 4 episodes ago, ( they’ve been chasing him for seven years ) 
His character looked like he wouldn’t be able to figure out how to work a pub fruit machine let alone run an OCG.

Aye i know, I was one of the people you sent it to. And the only person out the group who had seen the final episode.
Are you on here because no one is talking to you now ? 🙄🙂

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Aye i know, I was one of the people you sent it to. And the only person out the group who had seen the final episode.
Are you on here because no one is talking to you now ? 🙄🙂

I’m at work and bored out of my nut 😂

44 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😁👍

All those wee round up captions at the end, wtf were they all about . Do they think we all thought it was a true story ? 

it fell between two stools, wasn't quite sure whether it wanted to be high end spills and thrills police drama or social commentary. 

55 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

I’m at work and bored out of my nut 😂

😁 you may want to take a look at the very exciting  ‘Entertainment in Isolation’ thread which provides lots of interesting puzzles, covid haircuts, animal spotting ideas for keeping yourself occupied during long periods of lazybassaness. 

4 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Or is he taking the rap?🤔

5 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

I think most viewers felt it was an anti climax. However the 'fourth man'  was there back in series one albeit not high profile.

Unfortunately british shows now following the american model of milk it til its dry ; i watched line of duty at start , is almost a parody of itself now ; all that was missing was lee mack and jason isaacs

peaky blinders went the same way at last season - slo mo gangster moll scene did it for me

in saying that i am a downton abbey fan too , and looking forward to next film so each to their own

18 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😁👍

They have been doing this from the start so why change now?! Their way of telling us what happened next without actually going to the bother of filming it I guess.

2 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

They have been doing this from the start so why change now?! Their way of telling us what happened next without actually going to the bother of filming it I guess.

Jeezo, I didnt even remember they did that from previous series. I find it hard enough to remember the previous characters with 2 years between series. I still think it makes it far too cliched . 
The bit with Kelly Macdonald was just ridiculous. Massive chocolate box house, dug and girlfriend. 

Finished my re-watch of the 1992, 1993, 1994 triliogy and made a start on The Serpent. Two episodes in and I think I will enjoy it immensely. I see the chat about Line Of Duty - never seen an episode of it but going by social media every Sunday evening it appears to be very popular.