Series Worth Watching - Page 57 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

Halfway through the new Yank show Your Honor. Bryan Cranston is a judge whose Son kills a local gangster’s Son in a hit and run. It’s set in New Orleans. There are Scottish name drops from the very start. The main gangster(although a Yank actor) is playing a Scottish immigrant. One of his henchmen is the Weegie boy Tony Curran. 
After recently completing the incredible Breaking Bad, as soon as I saw Cranston was on this and it’s set in New Orleans my favourite US city it was a Ramy.... sorry, no brainer. 

10 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

What’s people’s views on Black Mirror?  Just about to start watching it. 

I really enjoyed it. Each episode has its individual story so you could watch them in any order, but there is a bit of a connection so I would suggest you stick with chronological order. 
I found some episodes much more enjoyable than others but that will just be down to individual taste.

On balance I enjoyed the earlier series more but that may just be because I was becoming more used to the concept as it went on. Definitely worth watching though IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 1:15 PM, WCTA said:

Halfway through the new Yank show Your Honor. Bryan Cranston is a judge whose Son kills a local gangster’s Son in a hit and run. It’s set in New Orleans. There are Scottish name drops from the very start. The main gangster(although a Yank actor) is playing a Scottish immigrant. One of his henchmen is the Weegie boy Tony Curran. 
After recently completing the incredible Breaking Bad, as soon as I saw Cranston was on this and it’s set in New Orleans my favourite US city it was a Ramy.... sorry, no brainer. 

Binged this at weekend, thought it was decent.  No plans for a second series at the minute but its based on an Israeli show that has just done a second so fingers crossed.  

Finished the 4 seasons of the Crown that are on Netflix. The first couple were absorbing and quite entertaining. However the whole cast changes in season 3 and I found my interest waning. I'll probably watch the 5th season when it comes out just to see where it goes but on the whole I wouldn't be recommending this to anyone in particular. 

On 3/19/2021 at 6:47 PM, slasher said:

Finished the 4 seasons of the Crown that are on Netflix. The first couple were absorbing and quite entertaining. However the whole cast changes in season 3 and I found my interest waning. I'll probably watch the 5th season when it comes out just to see where it goes but on the whole I wouldn't be recommending this to anyone in particular. 

I enjoyed it, the next series will no doubt be very controversial as It will probably feature Diana's death.

Your honor up next for us we recently gave up on snow piercer, Sean beans character is shite and he's not at his best in it

On 3/13/2021 at 5:56 PM, EddardStark said:

Anyone watching The Terror on iplayer?  Excellent suspense. Original story of two navy ships disappearing in the ice around the arctic back in the mid 1800’s. Been enhanced to bring in a bit of horror. 

Yes I watched it. I agree an excellent watch. Very tense and atmospheric and very well done hence had that ability to send you back in time and feel you were almost there. Series Two is already under way apparently with episodes available to buy on Amazon Prime. It is set more up to date and not connected with the first series as I understand it.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:39 AM, Tiny Tim said:

Just finished The Serpent which has already been mentioned a few times on here. Going to move onto Schitt's Creek but then I'll try it again. Thanks.

Have you watched Home for Christmas yet?

Sorry @Tiny Tim. Watched the first 2 episodes of Home for Christmas but I could not get into it, it just didnt make me laugh.  A Norwegian comedy was always going to be a bit of a tough sell but I was prepared to give it a go. It was a bit too much Bridget Jones’s Diary type thing, I am a bit of a weirdo and probably one of the few women who didnt enjoy that film. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I enjoyed it, the next series will no doubt be very controversial as It will probably feature Diana's death.

Your honor up next for us we recently gave up on snow piercer, Sean beans character is shite and he's not at his best in it

We've moved onto the Undoing after ditching the utter dross that the Flight Attendant was. 

21 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Sorry @Tiny Tim. Watched the first 2 episodes of Home for Christmas but I could not get into it, it just didnt make me laugh.  A Norwegian comedy was always going to be a bit of a tough sell but I was prepared to give it a go. It was a bit too much Bridget Jones’s Diary type thing, I am a bit of a weirdo and probably one of the few women who didnt enjoy that film. 

Typical, it doesn’t really get going until the third episode :)

Bridget Jones? Away with you, nothing like the 10 minutes I’ve seen of that.

4 minutes ago, Tiny Tim said:

Typical, it doesn’t really get going until the third episode :)

Bridget Jones? Away with you, nothing like the 10 minutes I’ve seen of that.

😁

I had considered giving it a bit longer as not every programme grabs me immediately but I then grow into them. But I could only see more of the same given the main character has so many days to find a boyfriend.

The Bridget Jones reference was more to do with single girl /getting older  / no boyfriend/ stereotype pals with advice and chocolate type thing.

I bet you have seen the entire Bridget Jones trilogy AND  have the soundtrack on your Spotify playlist 😁

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I bet you have seen the entire Bridget Jones trilogy AND  have the soundtrack on your Spotify playlist 

:-))

Trilogy? Soundtrack? Seems you know more about Bridget than me :moon:

Give the third episode a go and I’ll never mention it again.

2 minutes ago, Tiny Tim said:

:-))

Trilogy? Soundtrack? Seems you know more about Bridget than me :moon:

Give the third episode a go and I’ll never mention it again.

😁 I swear to god I had to google  “how many Bridget Jones Diaries films are there? ”   

As you will know having read all my interesting posts,  I like to get the important facts right in life 😁

Not that there is much else to do at the moment. This is today’s entertainment. 

1CD8BCCD-3D4F-4B07-A919-560D8DB0A7BD.thumb.jpeg.bd54c626ca8bc74a168379589a1c9814.jpeg

4 hours ago, slasher said:

We've moved onto the Undoing after ditching the utter dross that the Flight Attendant was. 

Is the flight attendant that bad? We were going to give it a watch tonight. 

3 hours ago, bonzo said:

Is the flight attendant that bad? We were going to give it a watch tonight. 

Each to their own m8. I like Kaley Cuocu but I hated it. She was annoying, the background music was annoying and we ended up ditching it halfway through episode 2 🙅‍♂️

27 minutes ago, slasher said:

Each to their own m8. I like Kaley Cuocu but I hated it. She was annoying, the background music was annoying and we ended up ditching it halfway through episode 2 🙅‍♂️

I'll give it go 👍

BritBox has a few good shows worth revisiting. The UK original of House of Cards is on there, as is Cracker. 

I’m somewhat belatedly enjoying The Bridge on iplayer. A cracking series and the female lead is terrific. 

The Expanse is good on Amazon.

I’ve been looking in vain for a comedy that compares with early Curb Your Enthusiasm. I’m also a big fan of Alan Partridge in his various formats.

The Sopranos, for me, is still the best ever TV. The Wire and Breaking Bad are other notables.  I’ve heard good things about Succession and may go back to Now TV to have a look. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’ve been looking in vain for a comedy that compares with early Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Check out my post *points up*

People have been looking for a show to take over from the mantle of Seinfeld and Curb.

"It's always sunny in Philadelphia" has taken that mantle. Avoid seasons 13 to present, though. That's when the cast brought in writers from outside.

Not convinced? It stars Danny De Vito.

"Future Man" is also a hidden gem

Edited by Taylor1996

8 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Check out my post *points up*

People have been looking for a show to take over from the mantle of Seinfeld and Curb.

"It's always sunny in Philadelphia" has taken that mantle. Avoid seasons 13 to present, though. That's when the cast brought in writers from outside.

Not convinced? It stars Danny De Vito.

"Future Man" is also a hidden gem

Hmm, I don’t have Netflix but will consider the matter. 

5 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hmm, I don’t have Netflix but will consider the matter. 

You should. It's amazing.

It's a slow burner. Season one is really low budget. Very indie. Rob McElhenney, Glenn Howerton, and Charlie Day shot the pilot on their own with two simple camcorders. 

Season two is when De Vito was hired and it took off. It's been called "Seinfeld on crack", which is pretty accurate. 

Rob McElhenney (Mac) is co-owner of Wrexham with Ryan Reynolds. 

If you love Seinfeld and Curb, you'll love Its always Sunny in Philadelphia. Guaranteed.