Series Worth Watching - Page 50 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

😁 dont worry, I can barely post a pic on here never mind work out the timeline of a googly eyed lovin rascal ! 
I only mentioned you,  being a respectable member of the board, to highlight the fact that it had to be Tiny Tim 😁 

It was a joke but I think you knew :) As soon as I saw that you’d seen it I changed it.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2020 at 12:50 PM, EddardStark said:

Just watched all three series of Detectorists on iPlayer. Magnificent escapism.

My husband watches that when he is off and I am at work. I think he would agree ‘escapism’ is an appropriate word. The further he can escape from me the better 😊 It looks quite good from the bits I have seen.

Surprised no one has mentioned ‘Des’ the Dennis Nilsen drama that David Tennant is in. I thought it was really good. I havent seen any other documentaries about Nilsen but anyone who has saw actual footage of him has said how well Tennant has portrayed him. 

On a totally different viewing subject, I have been watching This Is Us, a  cheesy American programme which probably none of you will be the least bit interested in  , but your wives or partners may be. Its a few years old so the world and their granny has probably saw it, but if not I would recommend it to anyone who likes cheesy family dramas 😊Despite the corny storylines  its quite cleverly done and addresses a lot of issues, in a typically American way of course. It moves back and forth  in time to keep you interested. Its on Amazon Prime. 

Not sure if it's been mentioned already (possibly even by me!) but Gone Fishing With Mortimer and Whitehouse is pretty closed to TV perfection.  Half an hour with 2 pals having a laugh with each other while they talk about, life, death and everything in between while sitting on a river bank trying to catch fish.  It's funny, sad, nostalgic and soothing all at the same time with some stunning scenery and a perfect soundtrack.  Can't recommend it highly enough.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 12:50 PM, EddardStark said:

Just watched all three series of Detectorists on iPlayer. Magnificent escapism.

Watched this because of your recommendation. Loved it, really well written, acted, filmed and edited. Got a stressful, tight deadline job on at the moment and so working long hours. To sit down after a long day (about 10.00) and unwind watching this was just perfect. So thanks.

On 10/5/2020 at 2:11 PM, Fairbairn said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned already (possibly even by me!) but Gone Fishing With Mortimer and Whitehouse is pretty closed to TV perfection.  Half an hour with 2 pals having a laugh with each other while they talk about, life, death and everything in between while sitting on a river bank trying to catch fish.  It's funny, sad, nostalgic and soothing all at the same time with some stunning scenery and a perfect soundtrack.  Can't recommend it highly enough.

Loved this too but I could watch Bob Mortimer all day. If you’ve not seen him in Would I Lie to You then try catch it on YouTube.

You describe the series really well and The Detectorists above is very similar in style, even though it’s scripted. Well worth watching if you enjoyed Gone Fishing.

37 minutes ago, Tiny Tim said:

Loved this too but I could watch Bob Mortimer all day. If you’ve not seen him in Would I Lie to You then try catch it on 

He's always brilliant on WILTY and almost everything he says is true 🤣

Agree about Bob Mortimer on WILTY. Very funny.   The fishing programme is great , thanks @Fairbairn, I would never have watched 2 old guys fishing if it hadnt been recommended , even though I really like Bob Mortimer. 

I thought I was going to pee my pants at the bit when Paul Whitehouse was going through all the pills he had to take, and the sad music was on , then it burst into ‘Lets all Chant‘ 😂

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I see The West Wing is coming to All 4.  Highly recommend giving it a watch. On a similar note The Trial of the Chicago Seven (also written by Aaron Sorkin) on Netflix is excellent (although a film rather than a series).

Do you know when ? It was a brilliant series.

14 hours ago, fringo said:

Do you know when ? It was a brilliant series.

I'm just at the end of season 4 of the West Wing: on my third time around. Could almost literally watch it all day, although seasons 1-3 are streets ahead of the others, even though Sorkin was also in charge of season 4.

18 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I see The West Wing is coming to All 4.  Highly recommend giving it a watch. On a similar note The Trial of the Chicago Seven (also written by Aaron Sorkin) on Netflix is excellent (although a film rather than a series).

Follow up silly question .... is All 4 one of the ch4 channels ?

5 minutes ago, fringo said:

Follow up silly question .... is All 4 one of the ch4 channels ?

It’s their On Demand streaming service. I’ve not used it for a while it the last time I did it didn’t have “remember” where you’d watch to so you had to scroll through loads of episodes to get to the next one you wanted to watch (assuming you could remember where you were!). Might have changed now though. 

1 minute ago, Fairbairn said:

It’s their On Demand streaming service. I’ve not used it for a while it the last time I did it didn’t have “remember” where you’d watch to so you had to scroll through loads of episodes to get to the next one you wanted to watch (assuming you could remember where you were!). Might have changed now though. 

cheers I'll take a further look. 

Been watching The Cube this week. I have enjoyed it. I reckon I would only be good at 2 games, counting the squares that appear in the cube and throwing the ball in the box whose door moves up and down.
I am not sure if I like the slow motion so much though. I think some of the games would be better in real time. 

Started the West Wing but not sure about it. The first 3 episodes havent grabbed me, does it get better ?  Dont know if I can tolerate that Mandy character for even 1  series , never mind 20 years of the show. 

@slasherjust remembered you were considering This Is Us, did you watch it and if so did you enjoy it ? I loved it, having withdrawal symptoms waiting for the next episodes. 

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Started the West Wing but not sure about it. The first 3 episodes havent grabbed me, does it get better ?  Dont know if I can tolerate that Mandy character for even 1  series , never mind 20 years of the show. 

@slasherjust remembered you were considering This Is Us, did you watch it and if so did you enjoy it ? I loved it, having withdrawal symptoms waiting for the next episodes. 

It does continue in a similar vein to the first few episodes, although once you get to know the characters it's much more absorbing.

SPOILER: Don't worry about 20 years of Mandy...

Edited by wee-toon-red

17 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

It does continue in a similar vein to the first few episodes, although once you get to know the characters it's much more absorbing.

SPOILER: Don't worry about 20 years of Mandy...

Will keep going with it then. Mandys potential demise may just be the carrot I need😊