Series Worth Watching - Page 39 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

What a sad story for everyone affected.  With your grand uncle admitting to it your great grandparents didn't have any sliver of hope that the police were wrong, but I suppose it also avoided the dilemma of whether or not to believe him had he denied it if found and charged. 

I am actually surprised your great uncle was not institutionalised. 60 years ago mental health was not given much recognition and many people were locked up in psychiatric hospitals for a lot less than that .       

There were three factors the court took into account when he was sentenced. At the time of the incident he was

• For a couple of years an alcoholic.
  • He had stopped taking medication for epilepsy.
  • Extremely sensitive. Two traumatic break ups with women had fired a kind of misogynistic rage within him.

His QC took all that and a number of medical professionals evidence to get him the best deal possible. The fact he had accepted full responsibility, handed himself in the next morning and freely confessed may also have worked in his favour.

My Mum remembers her uncle as as a polite, softly spoken man who was very friendly. Whilst my aunt who was an infant when her uncle was released remembered him playing games with her and taking her down to the ice cream van. They had not the slightest idea what he had done several years previously.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

There were three factors the court took into account when he was sentenced. At the time of the incident he was

• For a couple of years an alcoholic.
  • He had stopped taking medication for epilepsy.
  • Extremely sensitive. Two traumatic break ups with women had fired a kind of misogynistic rage within him.

His QC took all that and a number of medical professionals evidence to get him the best deal possible. The fact he had accepted full responsibility, handed himself in the next morning and freely confessed may also have worked in his favour.

My Mum remembers her uncle as as a polite, softly spoken man who was very friendly. Whilst my aunt who was an infant when her uncle was released remembered him playing games with her and taking her down to the ice cream van. They had not the slightest idea what he had done several years previously.

Working as a barman cannot have helped him with his alcoholism problem.
Can I ask , and please don't think I am being judgemental, how did they know he had had a mental breakdown and wasn't just really drunk when it happened ?  Had he stopped drinking by that time ? 

No matter what they must have recognised that this was completely out of character for him. I hope the victims family felt this too as it must have been very difficult to be forgiving . 

8 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Working as a barman cannot have helped him with his alcoholism problem.
Can I ask , and please don't think I am being judgemental, how did they know he had had a mental breakdown and wasn't just really drunk when it happened ?  Had he stopped drinking by that time ? 

No matter what they must have recognised that this was completely out of character for him. I hope the victims family felt this too as it must have been very difficult to be forgiving . 

The fact he was an epileptic who had stopped taking his medication may have had a big thing to do with it. People with untreated temporal lobe epilepsy can be prone to violent mood swings and rages.

Add in hammering away at the drink and an unlucky romantic life and you have the perfect storm. 

He had gotten married when he was sixteen to a woman who was twelve years older and predictably the marriage was quickly over.

A few years later he then started seeing a local girl whom he had bought an engagement ring for and started saving up for a flat with. One day she chucked him quite suddenly. In my Great Gran's interview with the papers she mentioned how she found all the photographs of her son's ex girlfriend with her face carefully cut out. She then added that her son would spend nights pacing up and down his room banging his fists of the walls and screaming obscene threats and oaths.

The woman he killed was an alcoholic prostitute with no fixed abode. The newspaper accounts don't mention anything about her family (if she had any) attending the trial or saying anything.

I've tried to access the transcript of the trial but it's not to be released for many years to come. 

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The fact he was an epileptic who had stopped taking his medication may have had a big thing to do with it. People with untreated temporal lobe epilepsy can be prone to violent mood swings and rages.

Add in hammering away at the drink and an unlucky romantic life and you have the perfect storm. 

He had gotten married when he was sixteen to a woman who was twelve years older and predictably the marriage was quickly over.

A few years later he then started seeing a local girl whom he had bought an engagement ring for and started saving up for a flat with. One day she chucked him quite suddenly. In my Great Gran's interview with the papers she mentioned how she found all the photographs of her son's ex girlfriend with her face carefully cut out. She then added that her son would spend nights pacing up and down his room banging his fists of the walls and screaming obscene threats and oaths.

The woman he killed was an alcoholic prostitute with no fixed abode. The newspaper accounts don't mention anything about her family (if she had any) attending the trial or saying anything.

I've tried to access the transcript of the trial but it's not to be released for many years to come. 

You have certainly inherited your great grans talent for talking openly thats for sure.  This must all have been a shock for your family and very difficult to go through.
Think I will give my family tree a miss. I remember being told my great granpa had to flee to Scotland to escape from Al Capone .
I am not joking. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

You have certainly inherited your great grans talent for talking openly thats for sure.  This must all have been a shock for your family and very difficult to go through.
Think I will give my family tree a miss. I remember being told my great granpa had to flee to Scotland to escape from Al Capone .
I am not joking. 

My Wife’s Grandmother was once engaged to one of Capone’s henchmen. Not kidding. She’s the only Yank I know who can’t tell a lie so I trust that it is 100% true. 

14 hours ago, WCTA said:

My Wife’s Grandmother was once engaged to one of Capone’s henchmen. Not kidding. She’s the only Yank I know who can’t tell a lie so I trust that it is 100% true. 

Apparently a large number of Scots were involved in the Chicago prohibition gang wars, I think al Capone's bodyguard was Scottish. 

58 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Apparently a large number of Scots were involved in the Chicago prohibition gang wars, I think al Capone's bodyguard was Scottish. 

Chicago and the USA’s most famous detective ever was straight out of the Gorbals. Allan Pinkerton. His grave is next to where the Cubs play baseball. I visited it before a game earlier this year. 

1 hour ago, WCTA said:

Chicago and the USA’s most famous detective ever was straight out of the Gorbals. Allan Pinkerton. His grave is next to where the Cubs play baseball. I visited it before a game earlier this year. 

Is that why there is a mound in the middle of the pitch?

On 12/27/2019 at 9:36 PM, WCTA said:

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I am currently waiting confirmation of the family tree from my brother. My granpas family mostly live in Canada .

I am a bit concerned that Al Capones family could be stalking this board however I am actually more concerned that I could in some way be related to WCTA and Big Ramy .  

18 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I am a bit concerned that Al Capones family could be stalking this board however I am actually more concerned that I could in some way be related to WCTA and Big Ramy .  

I’ve not seen you typing out your posts in the style of Oor Wullie and the Broons so you should be OK 👍

19 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

I’ve not seen you typing out your posts in the style of Oor Wullie and the Broons so you should be OK 👍

Onyhow, this laddie’s a Taysider. Thon Tidy lassie’s a Weegie. Imagine Soapy Soutar or Fat Boab wae ain o’ they Weegie whines? PC Murdoch wid suddenly become PC Murdock. 😫

Edited by WCTA

54 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Onyhow, this laddie’s a Taysider. Thon Tidy lassie’s a Weegie. Imagine Soapy Soutar or Fat Boab wae ain o’ they Weegie whines? PC Murdoch wid suddenly become PC Murdock. 😫

Would you not like to show Maggie Broon around the sights in Perth ? :whistling:

12 hours ago, WCTA said:

I am a Buddie, not a Weegie. Get yer facts right. We have a far more refined whine, honed over a number of years and high enough to be heard above the constant flow of airline traffic above our beautiful town 👍

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I am a Buddie, not a Weegie. Get yer facts right. We have a far more refined whine, honed over a number of years and high enough to be heard above the constant flow of airline traffic above our beautiful town 👍

If Motherwell, Greenock, Ayr, Airdrie, etc are Weegie to me then sure as hell Paisley is tae. 😁

Been watching ‘Traces’ , only got the last episode to go.  
Its easy watching but I have enjoyed it, pretty good effort from Scotland and IMO showcases Dundee well. Great arial shots of the city. Have no idea how they managed to find so many sunny days to shoot the outside scenes right enough. Almost looks tropical weather in every shot.  

Any of our Dundonian posters in cameo roles ? 

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Its easy watching but I have enjoyed it, pretty good effort from Scotland and IMO showcases Dundee well. Great arial shots of the city. Have no idea how they managed to find so many sunny days to shoot the outside scenes right enough. Almost looks tropical weather in every shot.  

Dundee is said to be the sunniest place in Scotland. 

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Dundee is Scotland's Sunshine City. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/842873/dundee-still-on-top-for-sunshine/

8 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Dundee is said to be the sunniest place in Scotland. 

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

According to the hootsman its behind Aberdeen and Edinburgh in terms of cities with the most hours of sun. 
That said, it also says Greenock is in the top 15 places in Scotland with the most sun so it must be talking shite. 

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/outdoors/these-are-the-15-scottish-towns-and-cities-that-get-the-most-sunshine-is-yours-on-the-list-1-4950252/amp?page=1

I'm sure both of these have been mentioned however with some time off over Christmas I've just managed to watch the 2 of them (both Netflix)

Unbelievable - Based on a true story of a young woman who is the victim of a home invasion rape in Washington State in the early 2000s.  She has a hard time getting the authorities to believe her and the main part of the story focuses on cops in another state (Colorado?) dealing with other rapes with a similar MO.  Pretty tough to watch at times and not much in the way of "action" but it's quite well acted by the main players and definitely worth checking out.

The Sinner - This is apparently a new genre of crime thriller the "Whydunnit".  Story about Cora Tanneti (Jessica Biel) a mother and wife who one day whilst at the beach with her family suddenyl and randomly stabs a complete stranger to death.  Story then focuses on the cop (Bill Pulman, dishevelled, troubles at home - natch) trying to get to the bottom of it.  I really enjoyed this one although some of the flash backs/forwards were a bit much at times but it kept me interested till the end.

The first two episodes of the BBC's Dracula were really good

I particularly enjoyed the second which was set on the ship Demeter - normally the voyage from Varna to Whitby is skipped over in previous dramatisations

And then they went and wasted it with the third episode

What a damp squib