Series Worth Watching - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

Have Watched:

The Wire - superb

House of Cards - superb, looking forward to 3

Homeland - enjoyable (season 2 was terrible)

True Detectives - very good once it got going

Dexter - lasted three episodes, hated it,

Suits - amusing, lot's of rather attractive wimin, can watch half engaged,

The Office (US version) - really like it

Thinking about:

Newsroom

Broadchurch

Sons of Anarchy

Fortitude (or at least i was!)

West Wing

Have Watched:

The Wire - superb

Thinking about:

Newsroom

Broadchurch

Sons of Anarchy

West Wing

Of those you've quoted I've seen:

The Wire - Best thing I've watched

Homeland - First series was OK but was getting tiresome towards the end. 2nd series is one of the worst I've watched.

True Detective - Excellent but you need to stick with it's slow, deliberate pace.

Dexter - I lasted less than you, 2 episodes (about 3 times!) and couldn't get in to it at all

The Newsroom - Just finished season 3, fantastic.

Broadchurch - 2 episodes of series 2 to go. The first series is one of the best bits of British drama I've ever watched. 2 not so much but still good.

House of Cards is next on my list.

Of those you've quoted I've seen:

The Wire - Best thing I've watched

Homeland - First series was OK but was getting tiresome towards the end. 2nd series is one of the worst I've watched.

True Detective - Excellent but you need to stick with it's slow, deliberate pace.

Dexter - I lasted less than you, 2 episodes (about 3 times!) and couldn't get in to it at all

The Newsroom - Just finished season 3, fantastic.

Broadchurch - 2 episodes of series 2 to go. The first series is one of the best bits of British drama I've ever watched. 2 not so much but still good.

House of Cards is next on my list.

Sounds like a pretty similar view. That being the case, I think you will really like House of Cards. Me and Ms CoolJ couldn't stop watching it, particularly Series 1.

Think I will go for Newsroom as I've been eyeing that up for a while.....

I forgot that we also watched Games of Thrones, not normally my thing, but I really enjoyed it.

The Wire is the best series out there.

True Detective and The Newsroom also excellent.

The Blacklist and Elementary are a little less 'serious', but still worth watching. The Following was also decent, with that Kevin Bacon.

Only one I'd add to an already large list is The Leftovers. Season 1 has not long finished, and although i have no real idea what is going on, it's compelling stuff - much like Lost was. Looking forward to season 2.

Got Fortitude on my planner which looks good too.

Series that i've watched and enjoyed

The Wire (the very best I've seen)

The Corner

Homicide Life On The Street

The Shield

Sons Of Anarchy

Romanzo Criminale

Braquo (corrupt police in Paris - really good)

Luck

Rescue Me

The Legacy (series 1 just finished on sky so can probably download it if you have that facility)

still got these to watch

Gomorrah

Fortitude

Treme

Strike Back

Oz

Did anyone watch the blacklist. Seen the second series is coming soon but don't know if its worth catching it or not

couldnt get into it. seemed a bit like a spoof to me. think it is a bit over acted, poorly.

fortitiude - enjoying so far, but quite depressing setting, and broadchurch - still on first series - superb stuff.

looking forward to game of thrones new series and hopefully the bridge next series. anyone know when?

I just remembered another one I watched a while back that was really good although I can't remember the name of it! It was an Aussie show all about gangsters and the drug trade in Melbourne (I think). I seem to remember that Jon Michie (of Taggart fame) bizarrely done some sort of voice over for it? Was a good watch although I'll need to go and search for the name now!

Have Watched:

The Wire - superb

Thinking about:

Newsroom

Broadchurch

Sons of Anarchy

West Wing

The Office (US version) was fantastic, was concerned the writing would tail off in the latter series but was pretty consistent throughout. very, very funny.

The Office (US version) was fantastic, was concerned the writing would tail off in the latter series but was pretty consistent throughout. very, very funny.

The US Office is brilliant...kicks the erse out of Ricky Gervais...

Edit : actually, it's simply because the writing is much better, and the characters are funnier.

Edited by Rossy

Did anyone watch the blacklist. Seen the second series is coming soon but don't know if its worth catching it or not

That is one of the few series I have started watching and gave up part way through a series......The Leftovers was another In gave up on after 3 or 4 episodes.

I just remembered another one I watched a while back that was really good although I can't remember the name of it! It was an Aussie show all about gangsters and the drug trade in Melbourne (I think). I seem to remember that Jon Michie (of Taggart fame) bizarrely done some sort of voice over for it? Was a good watch although I'll need to go and search for the name now!

Underbelly?

My (aussie) wife's family were raving about them. First series (the one you mention above I think) was pretty good, got the others, but not watched them yet.

FT

Underbelly?

My (aussie) wife's family were raving about them. First series (the one you mention above I think) was pretty good, got the others, but not watched them yet.

FT

yes Underbelly. I was thinking of that earlier. It was not exactly the same level of drama as some of the others, but it was pretty hard hitting in some bits and based on a lot of truth apparenlty. great entertainment too.

"its a jungle out there..."

Stuff I've watched recently that people have mentioned:

The Wire - great series but I have still to see series 4 & 5. It was taken off of the Sky One Demand as I finished series 3.

Newsroom - great as well, can be a little up itself at times but I can tolerate it due to the (IMO) importance of the message of the series.

Breaking Bad - took me a while to get into it then I was hooked. I'll wait till Better Call Saul is all out before watching that one.

The Killing (US version) - really enjoyed the first 2 series and currently watching 3, not a fan of subtitles as I tend to read rather than watch so went for the US version.

Game of Thrones (AKA Tits and Weiners) - Brilliant show and probably my favourite.

Walking Dead - Another great show (series 2 was a bit lacklustre though).

The Following - Initially good concept but it got very silly and I couldn't tolerate it any longer.

Strike Back - First series is based on the book and is very good. Series 2-4 are just fun action, another good series. Lots of sex that gives Tits and Weiners a run for its money.

The Leftovers - Pretty poor really. Whole series just seemed a setup for a second series and didn't feel like it had a point to it.

Arrow - Series 1 took a while to get going then became great towards the end, series 2 was excellent while 3 is a bit all over the place.

Blacklist - I really enjoyed Series 1 but struggling to enjoy series 2 at all.

Luther - Another series I really enjoyed. There really is something about the female serial killer in it though :love:

Spartacus - First two series (the ones with John Hannah and Lucy Lawless :wub: oh Xena!!!) are great, the third is pretty poor while the final is back to being excellent. The number of characters that change actors is jarring though. I'll forgive Spartacus though as the first actor died after filming series 1.

House of Cards - I really love this one too. Frank Underwood is one of the best characters on TV just now. Really looking forward to the third series.

Sons of Anarchy - Bit of a mixed bag, some series are good, others are pretty poor and definitely suffers from massive plot holes in order to keep the main characters in the cast.

Underbelly?