Series Worth Watching - Page 91 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

On 1/10/2023 at 11:04 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Well at least if it does it will only be five hours of your life wasted and not six.Ā šŸ˜‰

I should have stopped after episode 1 šŸ˜© I knew it was going to be rubbish but ploughed on regardless. Why do i do this.Ā 
I dont mind sci fi if there is a small glimmer of possibility, for example I like time travel shows as I Ā really like the idea of this.
But you really did have to suspend your disbelief for this story . The only bit i quite enjoyed was the end.Ā 

Some of the acting was garbage. And once again I had a problem with accents. Roseā€™s accent drove me mad, for some reason a different accent really stands out for me . Her Canadian accent alongside mainly Scottish and token English/ WelshĀ 
seemed so false. She was in Shitts Creek as well and I really liked her in that, the accent wasnā€™t an issue as all the accents were American/ Canadian. Its a weird irritation I have.Ā 
Ā 

Started watching Dead to Me last night. Really enjoyed it but it may be more a womanā€™s show than a blokes.Ā 

On 11/2/2022 at 8:19 PM, vanderark14 said:

I've watched the first episode of the sas rogues heroes. Good so far, I've been reading a little about the founders of the SAS, they do sounds fucking wild like series portays them as

Watched this over the last 2 night (still catching up on loads of stuff) really enjoyed it, only gripe would be Jack O'Connells Irish accent, I couldn't get Colin Murray out of my headĀ šŸ˜†

It's not a series and not technically a movie however Claude Lanzmann's "Shoah" is on Youtube along with numerous outtakes not in the finished film which itself is over 9 hours long and took 11 years to make

From personal experience, what you think you know about the Holocaust from education and documentaries is nowhere near what really went onĀ 

Shoah is a different movie/documentary in that there is no historical footage

It is simply interviews with survivors, perpetrators and witnesses/bystanders who are the most enlightening

You see the extermination camps/facilities at Chelmno, Belzec, Treblinka and Sobibor were nowhere near as desolate and out of the way as was made out

This is a near 4 hour interview with Rudolf Vrba who escaped Auschwitz in April 1944 and tried to warn the Hungarian Jews that were about to be deported there on mass

Ā 

Started watching Kaleidoscope on Netflix and enjoying it so far. It's a heist drama. It's made in such a way that, according to the teaser, the episodes can be watched in any order - depending on how your Netflix menu presents them. It's an interesting technique and I think I will stick with it just for this reason alone. Anyway I've watched two episodes so far and have enjoyed both.

Edited by morrie21

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

Started watching Kaleidoscope on Netflix and enjoying it so far. It's a heist drama. It's made in such a way that, according to the teaser, the episodes can be watched in any order - depending on how your Netflix menu presents them. It's an interesting technique and I think I will stick with it just for this reason alone. Anyway I've watched two episodes so far and have enjoyed both.

I started this last night. Watched 2 episodes. I am enjoying it too. IMO its not quite as good as Money Heist but it has other qualities , like you I like the quirkiness of everyone watching episodes in a different order. I know there is a set order you can watch it in but I prefer to go along with the random choice. I got yellow and green. Particularly liked the green episode.Ā 

On 12/16/2022 at 2:21 PM, EddardStark said:

Both series of The White Lotus have been a superb watch. The latest shot in Sicily in the same town we stopped in a few years back.Ā 

Started watching this based on a couple of your previous recommendations. Really enjoying it. Think it was you that suggested The Detectorists and just watched that the other day too. Brilliant. Reminds me a bit of Bob Mortimer fishing for some reason.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:25 PM, TDYER63 said:

I started this last night. Watched 2 episodes. I am enjoying it too. IMO its not quite as good as Money Heist but it has other qualities , like you I like the quirkiness of everyone watching episodes in a different order. I know there is a set order you can watch it in but I prefer to go along with the random choice. I got yellow and green. Particularly liked the green episode.Ā 

Watched it all the way through. Fairly enjoyable without being outstanding or anything. Its main selling point was/is the episode order thing. A few plot holes but overall well enough written and acted I thought.

2 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Watched it all the way through. Fairly enjoyable without being outstanding or anything. Its main selling point was/is the episode order thing. A few plot holes but overall well enough written and acted I thought.

Watching final episode tonight and have really enjoyed it. Hope the ending isnt a let down šŸ™‚ Ā As you say, not outstanding , but better than a lot of stuff I have seen. I enjoyed it more as it went along. Was good to see Gus Fring from Breaking Bad as a different character as well Ā šŸ˜Š

On 1/9/2023 at 9:10 PM, giblet said:

Treason on Netflix. Avoid Avoid Avoid.

I defy you to find a more annoying character than the wife of the new MI6 Chief.Ā  Plot holes all over.Ā Ā 

Ā 

45 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Treason on Netflix is pish.Ā  A completely unbelievable plot with terribly written and dislikeable characters.Ā  All that being said, I'm strangely looking forward to the last episode!Ā šŸ¤Æ

Do you not read this board ???? I avoided it like the plague šŸ˜

Iā€™ll get zero man points for this but Firefly Lane is quite good. Donā€™t tell Mrs Slasher, I moaned like feck about watching it with her. šŸ¤«

Conversely season 6 of Snowfall drops next month. Hoping it will appear on my firestick timeously or I might need to do the trial with Hulu šŸ«°šŸ»

3 hours ago, slasher said:

Iā€™ll get zero man points for this but Firefly Lane is quite good. Donā€™t tell Mrs Slasher, I moaned like feck about watching it with her. šŸ¤«

Conversely season 6 of Snowfall drops next month. Hoping it will appear on my firestick timeously or I might need to do the trial with Hulu šŸ«°šŸ»

Love Snowfall. It tends to make its way to iPlayer pretty quickly.Ā 

Started watching Castle Rock last night.Ā  It's "horror" series set in the Stephen King universe so loads of nods and Easter eggs for fans of the book (first episode was based around Shawshank prison for example).Ā  Quite enjoying it so far and like King's books so enough to hold my interest so far!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to starting Happy Valley after all the recent hype.Ā  I'd always avoided it as I thought it was a twee Heartbeat type show.Ā  Without giving away too many spoilers, given there's been a kidnap and a rape in the first 2 episodes it's fair to say it may be a bit grittier than I'd originally given it credit for!

27 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Finally got round to starting Happy Valley after all the recent hype.Ā  I'd always avoided it as I thought it was a twee Heartbeat type show.Ā  Without giving away too many spoilers, given there's been a kidnap and a rape in the first 2 episodes it's fair to say it may be a bit grittier than I'd originally given it credit for!

Couldnā€™t have put it better myself. I too missed it first time round and saw it advertised on iplayer as the final series is out , so started it from the beginning.
Like you was expecting a sort of 21st century version of ā€˜ Heartbeatā€™ . Quite the opposite. One of the better things I have watched on BBC for a long time.Ā