Series Worth Watching - Page 88 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

11 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

sounds a bit of debate over DS - that he created the legend himself in his book in the 70s  ; his brother and more importantly Paddy Mayne were more deserving of credit , and Sterlings perfomance during early raids were not comparable - this was only from a history podcast about a book on this subject - unless the author was making it all up ?

ive only seen the preview of the show - first thing that put me off , was the boy band haircuts and designer sunglasses - any photos ive seen of LRDG etc , all fully bearded and sunglasses usually sealed at side (sandstorms ?)

Ben McIntyre, who was the author of the book upon which the series is based, was the first historian to actually be allowed to see the SAS own WW2 records that had locked up for decades and is also a well respected authority on the espionage and special forces of WW2. I would be inclined to accept what he has to say.

The accompanying BBC documentary series also showed a lot of film and photographs of the original SAS from when they did their training before their first mission. All looked very neat and tidy and clean shaven.

11 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Ben McIntyre, who was the author of the book upon which the series is based, was the first historian to actually be allowed to see the SAS own WW2 records that had locked up for decades and is also a well respected authority on the espionage and special forces of WW2. I would be inclined to accept what he has to say.

The accompanying BBC documentary series also showed a lot of film and photographs of the original SAS from when they did their training before their first mission. All looked very neat and tidy and clean shaven.

appreciate the feedback

the link i posted after the fact shows the book review by Gavin Mortimer ; which is obviously at odds with the accepted narrative

tbh i much prefer the legend that has grown over the years, lot of kids of my age were reared on Victor & Commando comics and old war films . so to have the bubble potentially burst (as it often is over the last few decades is not great)

the 2 versions though do seem very much at odds with each other ; hence my questioning it

On 11/10/2022 at 9:06 PM, vanderark14 said:

So far SAS rogue heroes is brilliant. Up do episode 5 and have downloaded the accompanying documentary to watch once I'm done with the series 

Started it last night.  First episode was OK so will stick with it.  You can tell straight away it's from the same guy that did Peaky Blinders though.

Most folk on here probably think this should be in the ‘Series not worth watching’  thread , but, after about 5 or 6 years away, I am watching ‘ I am a Celebrity ‘ again and actually quite enjoying it . I am not up to date though, I am watching on catch uo and only as far as Matt Hancocks first trial.
I am finding it quite funny. I didnt know who half the celebrities were but most of them are fairly likeable at the moment . 

Haven’t seen it yet but the creators of ‘Dark’ have another German series out on Netflix called 1899. If its half as good as Dark it will be worth watching. Watch with subtitles though, its always far better if you can cope with subtitles. 

https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/us/1899-on-netflix-heres-one-setting-you-should-change-before-watching-the-series/amp_articleshow/95669520.cms

Edited by TDYER63

11 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Haven’t seen it yet but the creators of ‘Dark’ have another German series out on Netflix called 1899. If its half as good as Dark it will be worth watching. Watch with subtitles though, its always far better if you can cope with subtitles. 

https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/us/1899-on-netflix-heres-one-setting-you-should-change-before-watching-the-series/amp_articleshow/95669520.cms

Subtitles do my head in, and I know I've missed watching some great movies and series etc because of this but I just can train myself to put up with it. It's like shite dubbing, if the dubbing is poor I usually can't watch the film or show.

7 hours ago, Kirk said:

Subtitles do my head in, and I know I've missed watching some great movies and series etc because of this but I just can train myself to put up with it. It's like shite dubbing, if the dubbing is poor I usually can't watch the film or show.

You are not alone. Loads of folk hate subtitles. I dont mind it at all and as I get older i am using subtitles for some English speaking shows as my hearing is getting worse 🙄 So in 20 yrs you can catch up with all the good shows you have missed 😊

I can honestly say some of the best shows i have watched in the last few years have been foreign. I cant do dubbing its too weird. 

On 10/25/2022 at 4:10 PM, robbo cop said:

Watched a couple of episodes of 'You' on Netflix, not bad so far.

I read the book years ago as well 

I enjoyed the first series. The second and third were ok but just not as good.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:52 AM, TDYER63 said:

You are not alone. Loads of folk hate subtitles. I dont mind it at all and as I get older i am using subtitles for some English speaking shows as my hearing is getting worse 🙄 So in 20 yrs you can catch up with all the good shows you have missed 😊

I can honestly say some of the best shows i have watched in the last few years have been foreign. I cant do dubbing its too weird. 

Get a hearing aid 😂😂 my Mrs mum eventually got one, says it's a game changer 

8 hours ago, Kirk said:

Get a hearing aid 😂😂 my Mrs mum eventually got one, says it's a game changer 

😂 with the greatest of respect to your Mrs mum , there is no way I am getting a hearing aid before I need a hip replacement 😁 Though I am sure they do have advantages other than for watching TV. 

On 11/14/2022 at 4:52 PM, TDYER63 said:

Most folk on here probably think this should be in the ‘Series not worth watching’  thread , but, after about 5 or 6 years away, I am watching ‘ I am a Celebrity ‘ again and actually quite enjoying it . I am not up to date though, I am watching on catch uo and only as far as Matt Hancocks first trial.
I am finding it quite funny. I didnt know who half the celebrities were but most of them are fairly likeable at the moment . 

Nobody watching this ? Wtf is Matt Hancock still doing in there. This country, and possibly the world, is fucked if folk think eating a few sheep anuses makes up for the cluster fuck that was covid,   unless folk are voting to keep him there rather than be let loose as an MP. 

I watched it as I was amazed a serving politician , and a notorious one at that, was allowed to bugger  off for 3 weeks to the jungle. Admittedly he has done ok at the trials but that is not the  point. Why is he there ?? And who is voting for him. No doubt the Hancock/Tory PR machine . 

C’mon Jill and Owen ! both deserved winners , get that charlatan tae fook ! 

Probably speaking to myself here but glad to get it off my chest 😁

20 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Nobody watching this ? Wtf is Matt Hancock still doing in there. This country, and possibly the world, is fucked if folk think eating a few sheep anuses makes up for the cluster fuck that was covid,   unless folk are voting to keep him there rather than be let loose as an MP. 

I watched it as I was amazed a serving politician , and a notorious one at that, was allowed to bugger  off for 3 weeks to the jungle. Admittedly he has done ok at the trials but that is not the  point. Why is he there ?? And who is voting for him. No doubt the Hancock/Tory PR machine . 

There is no need to watch it if you watch the TV news. It's on the national news every night. How tae fuk does a totally shyte TV program become national news? You are being brainwashed by the state propaganda machine.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

There is no need to watch it if you watch the TV news. It's on the national news every night. How tae fuk does a totally shyte TV program become national news? You are being brainwashed by the state propaganda machine.

I don’t watch the news so have no idea what is being covered .  I watch the show on catch up, only caught up last night  as its the final tonight. I have easily managed to avoid finding out who goes out. Also managed to avoid absolutely everything surrounding the Queens funeral. It really is easier than you think. 
I dont think I am being brainwashed, quite the opposite. The editing that goes on is ridiculous. What I did read is that Hancocks PR machine are taking over TikTok and he is getting loads of votes on that.  
I dont think its totally shite programme either. It can be quite funny at times and is easy watching. I need some light entertainment to offset all the subtitles 😊

I wont watch it again for a few years as its the same thing every year . There is a bit of psychology on it too. One of the trials  every contestant had to win as many balls as they  could and the more balls you got the more chance you had of winning a place on a trip to an island with a slap up banquet. But you didnt need to choose balls for yourself you could choose for other camp mates . It was an eye opener to see who chose for themselves and who gave their balls to someone who was hungrier. No surprise as to what Hancock did. He wasn’t alone though . Of course they are all playing a game to some extent, but there are some  nice personalities , notably the younger ones. 

On 11/27/2022 at 11:29 AM, TDYER63 said:

😂 with the greatest of respect to your Mrs mum , there is no way I am getting a hearing aid before I need a hip replacement 😁 Though I am sure they do have advantages other than for watching TV. 

🤣 Better hope you don't have a bad fall anytime soon then.

She bay needed it to be fair her hearing was appalling.

On 11/27/2022 at 11:42 AM, TDYER63 said:

I watched most of it if I was in. The Mrs watched it every night. The guys a knob, but to be fair to him he did all the trials pretty well and actually won food for the camp unlike some of the others who were pretty useless.

Its a great PR move for the Tories as it's totally softened people's opinion of him after a couple of weeks. He was allowed supervised access to a computer once a day incase he needed to deal with anything major.

Didn't think he would get as far but I'm sure there were plenty of cunts/Tories who like him voting.

Don't know how Jill won as she was boring as fuck. Should have been Owen.

5 hours ago, Kirk said:

🤣 Better hope you don't have a bad fall anytime soon then.

She bay needed it to be fair her hearing was appalling.

I watched most of it if I was in. The Mrs watched it every night. The guys a knob, but to be fair to him he did all the trials pretty well and actually won food for the camp unlike some of the others who were pretty useless.

Its a great PR move for the Tories as it's totally softened people's opinion of him after a couple of weeks. He was allowed supervised access to a computer once a day incase he needed to deal with anything major.

Didn't think he would get as far but I'm sure there were plenty of cunts/Tories who like him voting.

Don't know how Jill won as she was boring as fuck. Should have been Owen.

Hooray! Someone ‘normal’ who watches normal TV 😁 I am sure there are others on here watching it but will not admit it 😁

Lets not kid ourselves, the real winner is the TV programme, they knew exactly what they were doing putting him in there and causing massive controversy. Access to computer once a day pish. They weren’t even supposed to know what the England football score was . What the hell could he do in an emergency in Australia. Total bollox. I dont actually think it was Tories voting for him, apparently he has a PR team that was focusing on TikTok , plus there were a lot of folk voting for him just to piss folk off. But you are right, he did ok at the trials, hardly surprising after having worked in a nest of vipers for years. 

I liked Jill, I thought she came over as lovely and down to earth, and actually quite sharp. She did really well at trials too. But I agree that Owen was best. He was lovely. He doesn’t seem to have a bad bone in his body but not in a ‘too good to be true ‘ way. He really made me laugh. 

‘ Has anyone evee thought that your fingers are just little arms at the end of your arm’ 🤣

16 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Hooray! Someone ‘normal’ who watches normal TV 😁 I am sure there are others on here watching it but will not admit it 😁

Lets not kid ourselves, the real winner is the TV programme, they knew exactly what they were doing putting him in there and causing massive controversy. Access to computer once a day pish. They weren’t even supposed to know what the England football score was . What the hell could he do in an emergency in Australia. Total bollox. I dont actually think it was Tories voting for him, apparently he has a PR team that was focusing on TikTok , plus there were a lot of folk voting for him just to piss folk off. But you are right, he did ok at the trials, hardly surprising after having worked in a nest of vipers for years. 

I liked Jill, I thought she came over as lovely and down to earth, and actually quite sharp. She did really well at trials too. But I agree that Owen was best. He was lovely. He doesn’t seem to have a bad bone in his body but not in a ‘too good to be true ‘ way. He really made me laugh. 

‘ Has anyone evee thought that your fingers are just little arms at the end of your arm’ 🤣

Haha as I said I watched it as the Mrs has it on. Otherwise wouldn't see it. 

Aye they played an absolute blinder putting him in for ratings and controversy etc. 

I had nothing particularly against her just thought she was very boring haha.

9 hours ago, Kirk said:

Haha as I said I watched it as the Mrs has it on. Otherwise wouldn't see it. 

Aye they played an absolute blinder putting him in for ratings and controversy etc. 

I had nothing particularly against her just thought she was very boring haha.

😂 dont give me the old ‘I only watch it cos ma wife watches it’. Wear your ‘ I  ❤️shite TV ‘ badge with pride like the rest of us. 

I was out running the other day and tend to go into a wee dream world to take my mind off the pain as I dont wear headphones . I was thinking who would we have in a Scottish only ‘ Im a Scelebrity’ version . In the olden days on here I would have started a thread but these days  folk only seem interested in Indyref and who has died in the news. So instead I will just clutter this thread with my ramblings. 

I doubt we could afford it to be set in Australia but we could perhaps rent Craig Tara for 3 weeks. My celebrities would be:

Comedy -

Frankie Boyle

Jerry Sadowitz

Music -

Lewis Capaldi 

Celebrity Chef -

Gordon Ramsay

Sport/ Bird watching -

Frank McAvennie 

Politics - 

Ruth Davidson

Tommy Sheridan

Film and TV -

James McAvoy
Michelle Gomez
Jackie Bird 

Tottie -

Jamie from Outlander

Kelly MacDonald

I never got as far as ideas for the trials as I only run for 35 mins but was thinking perhaps having them eat 10 items from Ayr Beach after a warm summer day in Scotland might be a good start. 

Everyone feel free to share your own 12 celebrities and trials 😁 Alternatively just continue to post on the politics and news thread. 

On 12/1/2022 at 10:45 AM, TDYER63 said:

😂 dont give me the old ‘I only watch it cos ma wife watches it’. Wear your ‘ I  ❤️shite TV ‘ badge with pride like the rest of us. 

I was out running the other day and tend to go into a wee dream world to take my mind off the pain as I dont wear headphones . I was thinking who would we have in a Scottish only ‘ Im a Scelebrity’ version . In the olden days on here I would have started a thread but these days  folk only seem interested in Indyref and who has died in the news. So instead I will just clutter this thread with my ramblings. 

I doubt we could afford it to be set in Australia but we could perhaps rent Craig Tara for 3 weeks. My celebrities would be:

Comedy -

Frankie Boyle

Jerry Sadowitz

Music -

Lewis Capaldi 

Celebrity Chef -

Gordon Ramsay

Sport/ Bird watching -

Frank McAvennie 

Politics - 

Ruth Davidson

Tommy Sheridan

Film and TV -

James McAvoy
Michelle Gomez
Jackie Bird 

Tottie -

Jamie from Outlander

Kelly MacDonald

I never got as far as ideas for the trials as I only run for 35 mins but was thinking perhaps having them eat 10 items from Ayr Beach after a warm summer day in Scotland might be a good start. 

Everyone feel free to share your own 12 celebrities and trials 😁 Alternatively just continue to post on the politics and news thread. 

Haha if I didnt have a broken knee/leg I would be up in my loft watching tv/playing ps4 quite happily away from it.

Gordon Ramsay would be the ultimate cunt if he was on that show, he just takes being a dick to a new level for the cameras. Nae idea who michele gomez is. Lewis Capaldi is another one who acts up for the cameras and social media. Used to like him but think hes a bit of a bawbag now too. 

Kelly MacDonald is awesome, love the fact she is still with Doogie from Travis after all these years. Big Doogies one of the nicest guys I've ever met, so fucking laid back.

2 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Haha if I didnt have a broken knee/leg I would be up in my loft watching tv/playing ps4 quite happily away from it.

Gordon Ramsay would be the ultimate cunt if he was on that show, he just takes being a dick to a new level for the cameras. Nae idea who michele gomez is. Lewis Capaldi is another one who acts up for the cameras and social media. Used to like him but think hes a bit of a bawbag now too. 

Kelly MacDonald is awesome, love the fact she is still with Doogie from Travis after all these years. Big Doogies one of the nicest guys I've ever met, so fucking laid back.

Michelle Gomez is only in there as she is married to Jack Davenport who I had a huge crush on back in the 90’s  when he was in my favourite TV show ‘This Life’. ( see how I am keeping this thread on track)  I was thinking I may get a wee bit of info on him  from her 😁

Frankie Boyle and Gordon Ramsay would cause chaos. I would just love to watch Frankie Boyle rip into Ruth Davidson he would devour her. Which he might actually need to as I doubt any of them would win enough stars for food. 

How is your knee/ leg doing now ?