Series Worth Watching - Page 85 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

20 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Danny Boyle's "Pistol" on Disney+ is quite good.  Although I can't really take to the lad playing Malcolm McLaren.

I think he got Mclaren spot on, Not sure how accurate the story is but as pure entertainment it was very well done, The chrissie hynde character was played well but in reality was only a minor figure who Jones pumped a couple of times.

On 7/30/2022 at 6:33 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

I think it was the influence / parody for allo allo - which i avoided like the plague tbh

Funnily enough I was so obsessed with WWII I loved "allo allo" 😂

12 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

This is going to hurt 

Funny and sad. 

Reading the book now, even as someone who works in health I can’t believe what is / was expected of junior doctors. 

Thought the book was better than the series but read the book first which often influences you. The series was a good effort though,  I still enjoyed it.

Pistol was entertaining, but it felt a bit too “Disney” and produced to me.  I felt some of the dialogue was unrealistic and charactured and didn’t feel raw enough. I also expected a bit more inclusion of other punk bands at the time like the Slits.

I still enjoyed it.

Sherwood was quite good on BBC.  Based on a true story of murders in a former mining community in Notts in the early 00s (loosely based I think tbf).  Really good British cast with David Morrisey, Alun Armstrong, Lesley Manville and others.

18 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Sherwood was quite good on BBC.  Based on a true story of murders in a former mining community in Notts in the early 00s (loosely based I think tbf).  Really good British cast with David Morrisey, Alun Armstrong, Lesley Manville and others.

Thoroughly enjoyed it,  shows how the divisions in the mining communities are still divided. 

I watched the original Salem's Lot from 1979 last night on Bilibili TV

https://www.bilibili.tv/en/video/2003088410

There were no adverts or pop ups

Looks like a decent site for a lot of stuff

Anyone tried it ?

On 8/10/2022 at 8:38 AM, vanderark14 said:

House of Dragon.....set 200 years before game of thrones kicks off on the 22nd of August on Sky Atlantic

I reckon I'll probably give it a go as hopefully it has the budget of the later GOT series but with the story telling of the earlier series. 

The original suffered from some dodgy actors too who they had to keep from the outset - Sansa Stark was bloody awful.   

Couldn’t be bothered starting another thread for this but for fans of The Wire (which you all should be) The Wire at 20 podcast is excellent. Hosted by Method Man who played Cheese Wagstaff and had interviews with all the major players from David Simon and Ed Burns to Idris Elba, Dom West, Clark Peters and Andre Royo. 8 episodes and well worth a listen. 

On 8/10/2022 at 3:21 AM, Fairbairn said:

Sounds right up my street;will look out for it

based on that synopsis - any influence by “red riding” ?

52 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

The Woodstock 99 documentary on Netflix is a fascinating watch. I won’t give too much away for anyone unfamiliar with what went on but some of the behaviour of the organisers was staggering. 

Yup an interesting watch, I get music is art and in the ear of the beholder but what a truly horrendous line up.

If you look past the original official Woodstock 69 dvd there was all type of bad shit went on deaths by bad acid rapes theft etc, not all love and peace as many would have us believe 

On 8/10/2022 at 1:15 PM, EddardStark said:

Never fancied it but I am really enjoying Better Call Saul. 

Watched what I assume is the final episode last night, very good 👍 

Showtrial on iplayer was much better than I expected and worth a watch.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:46 AM, TDYER63 said:

Thought the book was better than the series but read the book first which often influences you. The series was a good effort though,  I still enjoyed it.

I was listening to a podcast called fortunately, apparently this is going to hurt was misogynistic 

Not a series per se however on Talking Pictures TV later after Dead of Night and before Horror of Dracula (great channel) is an episode of the TV series The Outer Limits called "Soldier" 

James Cameron who directed The Terminator denied this was where he got his inspiration but he settled out of court when the writer of "soldier" sued them