Series Worth Watching - Page 84 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

On 6/28/2022 at 11:26 AM, glasgow jock said:

Sky Arts - showing all episodes of Tales Of The Unexpected (Bit dated, but didn't remember the amount of well regarded actors that where in many of the episodes)

Sony Channel - showing all episodes of Starsky & Hutch (love it,  takes me back to my teens, also skin tight jeans with flares where fuckn awful looking 🤣)

Been watching the last series of Secret Army on Talking Pictures - enjoying it 

22 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Watched the last two episodes of stranger things.

I liked it but be it dragged a bit in the end

Agreed, was good but could have been done in 5 mins after the main event

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 12:34 AM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

i was a big Boardwalk Empire fan (DVDs from library for some seasons) again full access

as much as i like (usually prefer) all the violent ; war/gangster stuff - i feel Mad Men is my favourite to date = of series ive actually watched through

Still enjoying Boardwalk Empire but it is really violent at times. I am on the series Gyp Rosetti arrives , he is great in the part of utter psychopath but every time someone rubs him up the wrong way I feel sick to the stomach as you just know it isn’t going to end well . 
Think Kelly McDonald is excellent in it and I have been a critic of her acting in some shows.

On 7/16/2022 at 5:24 AM, TDYER63 said:

Still enjoying Boardwalk Empire but it is really violent at times. I am on the series Gyp Rosetti arrives , he is great in the part of utter psychopath but every time someone rubs him up the wrong way I feel sick to the stomach as you just know it isn’t going to end well . 
Think Kelly McDonald is excellent in it and I have been a critic of her acting in some shows.

Am with you on kelly mcdonald

was reading comments at weekend with some yanks being annoyed at so many british actors over the pond

stephen graham as al capone is good

also some bizzare characters i liked - the ex ww1 sniper / missing half his face - and the tall guy from the flower shop ( he was in tigerland film )

wifes got us watching “ the split “ bit “meh” - maybe not so much for guys?

17 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Am with you on kelly mcdonald

was reading comments at weekend with some yanks being annoyed at so many british actors over the pond

stephen graham as al capone is good

also some bizzare characters i liked - the ex ww1 sniper / missing half his face - and the tall guy from the flower shop ( he was in tigerland film )

wifes got us watching “ the split “ bit “meh” - maybe not so much for guys?

Yeah I really like all those characters too. Stephen Graham is a great actor, I dont think I have actually saw him in anything bad. The other 2 characters are pretty complex which make them interesting. 

Funnily enough I saw the first episode of The Split on a flight a few years ago and quite enjoyed it but never picked it up when I got back. Might give it a go, I need something a bit more mainstream to balance off all this blood and gore 😁 I  am watching Breaking Bad for the second time and enjoying it again. 

Talking of flights, the most unexpected enjoyment I have had was watching The Intouchables, french comedy film. Have mentioned it a few times on here. Best 2 hours i have spent on a plane. 

On 6/17/2022 at 6:56 PM, chaff said:

My wife kept going with it, I would periodically look up from my book or Duolingo it does get better 

Finished it at the weekend. Glad I stuck with it , some characters annoyed me a bit but I generally enjoyed it in the end. My husband thought it was a load of sentimental bollocks right enough. 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Yeah I really like all those characters too. Stephen Graham is a great actor, I dont think I have actually saw him in anything bad. The other 2 characters are pretty complex which make them interesting. 

Funnily enough I saw the first episode of The Split on a flight a few years ago and quite enjoyed it but never picked it up when I got back. Might give it a go, I need something a bit more mainstream to balance off all this blood and gore 😁 I  am watching Breaking Bad for the second time and enjoying it again. 

Talking of flights, the most unexpected enjoyment I have had was watching The Intouchables, french comedy film. Have mentioned it a few times on here. Best 2 hours i have spent on a plane. 

like foreign language films - will check that out ; thanks !

- started watching "Borgen" last night - only one episode in .....

Breaking Bad i always found too dark ; several failed attempts to get into it - i do like Better call Saul though

= just finished the 4 part Netflix docuseries on D B Cooper -  a story i knew a little about ; but pretty fascinating how deep some americans get into it = the series never really puts forward the theory (accepted by many) that he likely never survived the jump

20 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

like foreign language films - will check that out ; thanks !

- started watching "Borgen" last night - only one episode in .....

Breaking Bad i always found too dark ; several failed attempts to get into it - i do like Better call Saul though

= just finished the 4 part Netflix docuseries on D B Cooper -  a story i knew a little about ; but pretty fascinating how deep some americans get into it = the series never really puts forward the theory (accepted by many) that he likely never survived the jump

I like Borgen, have started watching the current series which is not long out . Its actually a bit topical, Greenland have discovered oil and want independence! 

Will check out that DB Cooper programme, my daughters fiancé is watching it and is enjoying it too.  

Interesting that you like Better Call Saul but not Breaking Bad. I cant imagine what it would be like watching it without having seen Breaking Bad. I suppose since its a prequel its not actually  confusing in any way. 

Honest tae fook I sound like Barry Norman. I do actually have a life beyond box sets and posting shit on here 😊

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I like Borgen, have started watching the current series which is not long out . Its actually a bit topical, Greenland have discovered oil and want independence! 

Will check out that DB Cooper programme, my daughters fiancé is watching it and is enjoying it too.  

Interesting that you like Better Call Saul but not Breaking Bad. I cant imagine what it would be like watching it without having seen Breaking Bad. I suppose since its a prequel its not actually  confusing in any way. 

Honest tae fook I sound like Barry Norman. I do actually have a life beyond box sets and posting shit on here 😊

bizarrely i have watched a Norwegian series a few years back where Russia invades ....... "Occupied" - was very good i thought - but didnt really think it was feasible concept when watching it ....... 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Re watched the staircase documentary after watching the tv series. Didn’t really like the series but the documentary is good. Still can’t say for sure if he did it. 

My other half is a bit obsessed with that and has watched a few different documentaries on it.  I did chuckle when she told me the song the guy accused of killing his wife chose to play at the very end of it was apparently "Everybody Knows" by Leonard Cohen!!

On 7/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said: just finished the 4 part Netflix docuseries on D B Cooper -  a story i knew a little about ; but pretty fascinating how deep some americans get into it = the series never really puts forward the theory (accepted by many) that he likely never survived the jump

Watched a couple of documentaries on this both far better than the 4 parter which is essentially one man’s crusade/obsession with his theory of what happened. Confirmation bias in the extreme, the investigative reporter happily ignores the lack of evidence against his suspect and just continues to harangue him for the purpose of making/selling a documentary imo 

On 7/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

just finished the 4 part Netflix docuseries on D B Cooper -  a story i knew a little about ; but pretty fascinating how deep some americans get into it = the series never really puts forward the theory (accepted by many) that he likely never survived the jump

Watched a couple of documentaries on this both far better than the 4 parter which is essentially one man’s crusade/obsession with his theory of what happened. Confirmation bias in the extreme, the investigative reporter happily ignores the lack of evidence against his suspect and just continues to harangue him for the purpose of making/selling a documentary imo

1 hour ago, dan cake said:
On 7/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

just finished the 4 part Netflix docuseries on D B Cooper -  a story i knew a little about ; but pretty fascinating how deep some americans get into it = the series never really puts forward the theory (accepted by many) that he likely never survived the jump

i agree with my second paragraph there also : )

On 7/4/2022 at 9:03 PM, Newryrep said:

Been watching the last series of Secret Army on Talking Pictures - enjoying it 

I LOVED that series when I was a kid, was obsessed with WWII, I'll have to find it and watch again. 

18 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Speaking of which, embdy seen the film "The Bombardment"? ooft... (true story)

Yes , saw it few months back

very good ; bit dark ( obviously) but prefer that to blockbuster cgi stuff like midway / pearl harbo(u)r / and that tom hanks - greyhound one

i understand there is a new mega series being filmed at moment by the band of brothers mob ; masters of the sky/air ? Usaaf bomber crews in england - listened to a podcast by a writer - but he couldnt say much

logically/ hopefully they will eventually do a naval one 

an allied ‘das boot’

Reboot ?