Series Worth Watching - Page 81 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

On 5/14/2022 at 7:22 AM, TDYER63 said:

Not related to a specific  TV show but I got a new TV recently and I am not sure if I actually like how clear and perfect the picture is. My old Tv was 13 years old and we changed it as sometimes when it was a darkish scene there would be shadows. But i feel this new TV is a bit too perfect.Its ok for most things but with some dramas I feel the background settings look a bit ‘staged ‘ , my old TV was a bit grainy at times but it felt more natural. I have had it 3 or 4 months now snd not really getting used to it. Does anyone else get this with their TV ? 

Yes ; exactly the same with me - was all too perfect - not like watching tv really - but after 6 mths or so have go used to it 

some shows tho are way too dark

11 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Yes ; exactly the same with me - was all too perfect - not like watching tv really - but after 6 mths or so have go used to it 

Glad its not just me, it seems ridiculous to say the picture is too good to be true , but it feels like that. It’s probably just what your eyes are used to seeing. 

4 hours ago, slasher said:

This Is Us coming to a conclusion next week. Hankies at the ready @TDYER63?

OMG. I am eeking out all the episodes because I dont want it to end 😭 My daughter is ahead of me and she sent a picture of her after watching an episode I haven’t seen yet, and her face was just a big red blob. Its a brilliant programme.  Funnily enough Jack turned up in an episode of The Marvellous Mrs Maisel the other night  !  It was only a fleeting part but I couldn’t take him serious at all in it. 

Finished Ozark last night . Like you I enjoyed it despite Lady MacBeth not getting her comeuppance .  Also watched  the 30 min documentary about the filming of it, that was ok too.

I was actually a bit drunk last night . After Ozark I stayed up till 1am listening to the Mrs Maisel sounndtrack 🙄😁

On 5/16/2022 at 1:26 PM, TDYER63 said:

Glad its not just me, it seems ridiculous to say the picture is too good to be true , but it feels like that. It’s probably just what your eyes are used to seeing. 

You should never watch a tv straight from the box or use the "Presets", a good telly always needs a wee bit tweaking with contrast, Brightness and so on, Once ye get it the way ye like it it'll stay that way until ye unplug it.

On 5/21/2022 at 4:56 PM, TDYER63 said:

OMG. I am eeking out all the episodes because I dont want it to end 😭 My daughter is ahead of me and she sent a picture of her after watching an episode I haven’t seen yet, and her face was just a big red blob. Its a brilliant programme.  Funnily enough Jack turned up in an episode of The Marvellous Mrs Maisel the other night  !  It was only a fleeting part but I couldn’t take him serious at all in it. 

Finished Ozark last night . Like you I enjoyed it despite Lady MacBeth not getting her comeuppance .  Also watched  the 30 min documentary about the filming of it, that was ok too.

I was actually a bit drunk last night . After Ozark I stayed up till 1am listening to the Mrs Maisel sounndtrack 🙄😁

Completed it  

Ps Mrs Maisel soundtrack? Jeepers creepers 🙈

12 hours ago, slasher said:

Completed it  

I am sure that is on the sound track ! 😁

I am missing Mrs Maisel, was an upbeat programme that I really grew to like. I find it hard to find funny programmes, I dont like a lot of the American stuff. 

Started watching Breaking Bad again, watched it years ago when we had one of those dodgy boxes. I am not joking when I say we spent more time trying to find a stream that didn’t buffer than we did watching the show. We have gone from one extreme to another. From a picture I could barely make out to this new TV that makes everything look like an amateur studio set  from Crossroads . 

Bosch: Legacy is now on Prime Video via the FreeVee (or whatever it is called, formerly IMDBTV) service. Only watched the first episode but many of the same team from the original Bosch seasons are behind it, so if you enjoyed Bosch you will probably like this. Our man Hieronymus no longer LAPD, now an independent PI.  

20 hours ago, chaff said:

Started watching stranger things season 4. I don't think I'll be doing episode 2. Absolute shite.

American high schools seem to be full of 30 year olds 

That’s disappointing to know, I  really enjoyed this programme. I did wonder how they were going to work round the age of the kids, sounds like they didn’t. 

On 5/27/2022 at 5:11 PM, morrie21 said:

Bosch: Legacy is now on Prime Video via the FreeVee (or whatever it is called, formerly IMDBTV) service. Only watched the first episode but many of the same team from the original Bosch seasons are behind it, so if you enjoyed Bosch you will probably like this. Our man Hieronymus no longer LAPD, now an independent PI.  

Thanks for highlighting this . Watched the first episode and enjoyed it.  Even better , his daughter didn’t annoy me as much as she did  in the original series , I thought her acting was terrible in that but  she was okay in this new series . 

On 5/16/2022 at 1:25 AM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

On 5/24/2022 at 5:18 PM, dj mick said:

You should never watch a tv straight from the box or use the "Presets", a good telly always needs a wee bit tweaking with contrast, Brightness and so on, Once ye get it the way ye like it it'll stay that way until ye unplug it.

Found this . Motion smoothing seems to be an issue so I found it and turned it off. Think it has helped a bit. 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect-in-tvs-and-how-to-turn-it-off/?amp

On 5/21/2022 at 4:56 PM, TDYER63 said: .

On 5/26/2022 at 10:41 PM, slasher said:

Completed it  

I am on holiday this week and was doing housework this afternoon listening to music on my Spotify playlist. This song suddenly came on and I had a flashback to me marching about the living room saluting that night I was drunk  🤦‍♀️
I got a box of red wine in a Christmas hamper and had opened it, I dont normally drink red wine as it stains my teeth , but I didnt want to waste it. It had a wee tap so  i could just pour it  from the couch. I must have had too much as you cant see how much you have had when drinking from a box . The tempo of the song changes a bit by the end  and I was kicking my legs like I was in a New York chorus line.
I must have added the song to my playlist and forgot 🤣

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Thanks for highlighting this . Watched the first episode and enjoyed it.  Even better , his daughter didn’t annoy me as much as she did  in the original series , I thought her acting was terrible in that but  she was okay in this new series . 

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy the full series and the daughter doesn't annoy you too much this time 😂

On 5/30/2022 at 5:18 PM, TDYER63 said:

I am on holiday this week and was doing housework this afternoon listening to music on my Spotify playlist. This song suddenly came on and I had a flashback to me marching about the living room saluting that night I was drunk  🤦‍♀️
I got a box of red wine in a Christmas hamper and had opened it, I dont normally drink red wine as it stains my teeth , but I didnt want to waste it. It had a wee tap so  i could just pour it  from the couch. I must have had too much as you cant see how much you have had when drinking from a box . The tempo of the song changes a bit by the end  and I was kicking my legs like I was in a New York chorus line.
I must have added the song to my playlist and forgot 🤣

Dunno where to start with this lol.

Im not sure if I’m more appalled by the song or the ‘box of wine.’ 🤣🤣😂

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Stranger things 4. Not as good as the first 3. It's dragging on a bit, I'm losing interest......then I find out this series is being released in two blocks 🙄

Just finished first block….. as daughter is mad on it.

generally not great. When it’s more human than monster it’s quite good. Series 1 was really good, tapered off from there.

can’t believe the amount of pish slimey monster stuff on a background of red skies and thunder flashes….. really tiresome.

15 hours ago, phart said:

I'm about to start the Wire, never seen it heard it is good. My friend gave me all the DVD's for whole series.

I could not get into The Wire at all. Maybe didn’t give it long enough . Hopefully you will enjoy it as it was hugely popular. 

On 6/3/2022 at 7:19 PM, phart said:

I'm about to start the Wire, never seen it heard it is good. My friend gave me all the DVD's for whole series.

Pretty jealous, I'd love to watch it for the first time again.  It is, for me, by far the best of all the series I've seen.  I've enjoyed loads of others but I can't think of anything that remotely comes close to The Wire.  Think I've seen it 4 times through now.

Quite excited by We Own This City which started last night and is written by David Simon and George Pelecanos (who created/wrote The Wire) and also set in Baltimore and focuses on the Gun Trace Task Force.  It's quite a few actors who appeared in The Wire but in a bit of twist he'll have them all playing "opposite" roles (so if one was a cop in The Wire they'll be a criminal in this etc etc).