Series Worth Watching - Page 64 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

What did you think about his daughter ? ( apart from being stunning….) 

She was probably the only thing that disappointed me about the programme. I thought her acting was really poor. Tried way too hard to create a moody, awkward teenager.  She wasn't alone right enough,  there were a couple of poor performances but they were mainly on smaller parts. 

She's way too young and skinny for me to even think about her that way 😳

Funnily enough although Mrs Slasher hasn't watched it with me, she did comment on some perceived bad acting in the couple of scenes she's caught. Didn't really notice masel 🙅‍♂️

3 hours ago, bonzo said:

Just watched the last series, I quite enjoyed it but June was getting right on Mrs b's wick.

😂 by ‘last’ do you mean the current series , or the one before ? If is the one before Mrs B may want to give this current one a miss as June steps the anguish up a gear . 

3 hours ago, slasher said:

She's way too young and skinny for me to even think about her that way 😳

Funnily enough although Mrs Slasher hasn't watched it with me, she did comment on some perceived bad acting in the couple of scenes she's caught. Didn't really notice masel 🙅‍♂️

Och its ok to say a young woman is stunning, unless you don’t actually think they are stunning that is 😁

I just felt she only had one facial expression , which was sort of crinkling her eyes like she was in pain. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 by ‘last’ do you mean the current series , or the one before ? If is the one before Mrs B may want to give this current one a miss as June steps the anguish up a gear . 

Aye, should have said current series. 

On 8/23/2021 at 8:57 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

After 3 different folk here saying Ted Lasso was good ; gave it a go last night - utter mince ; felt like was watching a kids show ; although understand is aimed at american market

in comparison watched a bunch of “the increasingly poor decisions of todd margaret” and found it outstanding 

I agree, like Jossie's giants for adults.

30 minutes ago, dj mick said:

I agree, like Jossie's giants for adults.

Aye cheers ; i was searching for a kids show analogy but think this was after my time / and didnt think many folk would get murphys mob either…..

there was a decent-ish ch 4 series with cherie lunghi a while back ; that i mind watching - prob quite dated now ; but recall popular; early 90s? “ the manageress “

mike england/film has got to be best tho in comedy genre ; unless you watch footage of us in argentina …

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Got an Amazon prime 30 day free trial 

The stand, the Stephen king book / mini series remake is on it. 
Was pretty bad, awful if I’m being harsh. Shame because the book and the 90’s effort was great. 

The Terror is on it as well so give that a go next. 

Franklin expedition……. Spoiler Alert !

14 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Got an Amazon prime 30 day free trial 

The stand, the Stephen king book / mini series remake is on it. 
Was pretty bad, awful if I’m being harsh. Shame because the book and the 90’s effort was great. 

The Terror is on it as well so give that a go next. 

I reckon I've read The Stand about half a dozen times over the years, which is no mean feat given the size of it.  I even remember staying up to 3am to finish it the first time round the night of my higher English exam!  The 90s TV movie version was a bit crappy but good in a "it's a bit shit" kind of way.  I was really looking forward to this latest version and it was utter horseshit.  So many things wrong with it from the casting to the pacing to the way they had Vegas as some sort of Gomorrah to the key plot points they just omitted all together.  Really, really poor.

On 8/13/2021 at 8:05 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Outstanding show ; as is the film

the iconic flats they filmed at were torn down seemingly a few years back

Marseilles is also good ; but bit more glitzy

Decent enough watch. Season One was good, Season Two felt like a rush job, especially with it getting wrapped up so it felt like the writers quickly had to chance lots of things in order to wrap things up. And that very last scene felt like a desperate attempt to get another season on a different platform after Netflix said au revoir. Overall a decent watch, some interesting characters. 

Homecoming on Amazon Prime. Saw the first series of it a year or so back. A psychological mystery with Julia Roberts. Noticed yesterday that a second series was added last year. Mainly different characters so Roberts does not return in front of the camera, she does have an executive producer credit though. Watched the first two episodes yesterday. Intrigued enough to watch more.

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

Decent enough watch. Season One was good, Season Two felt like a rush job, especially with it getting wrapped up so it felt like the writers quickly had to chance lots of things in order to wrap things up. And that very last scene felt like a desperate attempt to get another season on a different platform after Netflix said au revoir. Overall a decent watch, some interesting characters. 

Was quite a few years back i watched it tbh ; think as it came out ; so was definite gap for me between seasons 

did they change the team colours second season ?

was good contrast of french classy ; how the other half lives and the boys from the scheme

you seen “undercover” belgian show ; and “babylon berlin” german one

• 1 month later...

Another recommendation of what NOT to watch, the BBC drama Vigil. 
It was utter shit and really could have been a decent programme. The first episode had hope but it deteriorated rapidly. 

Suranne Jones was good but the acting was generally really poor. The BBC completely shat it, introducing the political side of nuclear weapons to the story and then refusing to take it anywhere. 
Dont waste your time. 

15 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

It was utter shit and really could have been a decent programme. The first episode had hope but it deteriorated rapidly. 

Suranne Jones was good but the acting was generally really poor. The BBC completely shat it, introducing the political side of nuclear weapons to the story and then refusing to take it anywhere. 
Dont waste your time. 

Watching that made me realise how much better a job Netfix do.

16 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Dont waste your time. 

I thought it was OK.  Nothing great but passed the time for an hour on a Sunday.  I agree though that some of the acting wasn't too hot.  Gary Lewis in particular obviously went to the same school of Acting & Carpentry as Kelly McDonald.  And Rose Leslie's Scottish accent was abysmal (I know she's Scottish but that's not how she talks).  Surely someone in the production team must have realised how shit it was and just get her to talk in her own voice!

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I thought it was OK.  Nothing great but passed the time for an hour on a Sunday.  I agree though that some of the acting wasn't too hot.  Gary Lewis in particular obviously went to the same school of Acting & Carpentry as Kelly McDonald.  And Rose Leslie's Scottish accent was abysmal (I know she's Scottish but that's not how she talks).  Surely someone in the production team must have realised how shit it was and just get her to talk in her own voice!

I feel  that TV shows often  try to slow down the scottish accent and for me it makes it sound so false. Scots tend to talk fast , especially in the West of Scotland, and slowing it down and  Anglyfing ( is that a word 🤔) it annoys me. Non Scots might not notice so much. 
Yes , agree about Gary Lewis and Rose Leslie, think she is from the east coast is she not, as you say should have just used her own accent. 

The girl who let Suranne Jones through the door in the last episode was pretty bad too ( trying not to give any spoilers) , though the script didnt help her. When she said ‘I am gonna kill you for this’  to the ‘baddie’   I nearly wet myself. Given the situation at that point I think a natural response would have been a lot stronger. I feel a lot of the time the BBC tones things down to a really banal level. 

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I really enjoyed Vigil 😬 Yes it was utter nonsense but it was entertaining enough. And you can't beat lots of location shots of the best country in the world 🙂

😁

I can tolerate the utter nonsense storyline , I watch loads of them on Netflix and Amazon Prime, but to combat that the acting has to stand up to scrutiny and I felt Vigil was pretty shit.
The BBC occasionally come up with decent dramas but as Lamia says,  other companies  do it far better . 

I do agree on the location shots right enough  and any publicity from that perspective has to be good 😊

Finally finished The West Wing. Grew to very much enjoy it. Might need to get the theme tune on spotify to get me through the mourning period. 

Managed to get Now TV for 2 months for £1 a month. Have started Mare of Easttown. Its very good. Kate Winslet is immense. 

On 9/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, TDYER63 said:

I feel  that TV shows often  try to slow down the scottish accent and for me it makes it sound so false. Scots tend to talk fast , especially in the West of Scotland, and slowing it down and  Anglyfing ( is that a word 🤔) it annoys me. Non Scots might not notice so much. 

Don’t know if you ever attempted to watch Annika but I gave up on episode 1 of that because of this very issue. Can’t remember character’s name but he was kind of the main male role. Accent was awful, so obviously slowed down to try and make himself more understandable but sounded weird and fake.

On 9/28/2021 at 2:59 PM, ThistleWhistle said:

Half way through Squid Games on Netflix - basically the 2027 remake of the Generation Game:

Started this yesterday, started slow then fuckin boom. Superb