Series Worth Watching - Page 59 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

32 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Its brilliant stick with it. Is is probably in my top 3 programmes. You do need to buy into the outrageous storyline though.

We got to about the 6th series and Mr Tidy says ‘ this is just too ridiculous now’ , like the first 5 series had been completely believable 😂

Loving the dwarf 🤣 brilliant character. 

I'm way behind all you lads & lassies - the wife and I have just binged on Breaking Bad, really enjoyed it and had some great actors in the show.

I have noted it always get nominated in the top 3 TV series of all time, in my opinion that's a bit generous, doesn't come close to Soprano's, The Wire, Twin Peaks etc etc ??

48 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

I'm way behind all you lads & lassies - the wife and I have just binged on Breaking Bad, really enjoyed it and had some great actors in the show.

I have noted it always get nominated in the top 3 TV series of all time, in my opinion that's a bit generous, doesn't come close to Soprano's, The Wire, Twin Peaks etc etc ??

I enjoyed BB but thought it was quite overrated.  Not a patch on any of those you've mentioned and I'd also throw the West Wing, Ozark and early seasons of House of Cards and 24 in ahead of it.

4 hours ago, slasher said:

Started watching Game of Thrones last week. Now halfway through season 2 and I can't quite decide whether it's fascinating or the biggest load of drivel I've seen. 🙅‍♂️

Half way? Not long til the Red Wedding then...

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The manhunt series is good, season 1 about the unabomber and season 2 about Richard Jewell and the Atlantic Olympics bombing. 

Game of thrones was good TV up until around season 4/5 but the writing quality decreased when they got beyond the books. 

Sadly true. Not sure if we'll get the rest of the books now. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Behind her Eyes.
Meh , was ok. Run of the mill programme with obligatory big posh houses to ogle  and a storyline that became increasingly outrageous. But on the plus side it was only 6 episodes. 

I felt dumb watching it , eventually gave up with all the spacey sunny dreamstates

acting was pish i recall ... although am rapidly trying to blank it out although for some reason its morphing into memory of another show - “ the one “ now that was rank , but somehow i sat through it all

13 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

I felt dumb watching it , eventually gave up with all the spacey sunny dreamstates

acting was pish i recall ... although am rapidly trying to blank it out although for some reason its morphing into memory of another show - “ the one “ now that was rank , but somehow i sat through it all

😂 I didnt think the acting was too bad,  but ‘pish’ would not be an entirely  inaccurate description of the programme .

I can guarantee you a few years ago I would have really enjoyed it but now that you get much better selection of tv series from around the world it lifts the bar , and this type of storyline is a bit old hat. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 I didnt think the acting was too bad,  but ‘pish’ would not be an entirely  inaccurate description of the programme .

I can guarantee you a few years ago I would have really enjoyed it but now that you get much better selection of tv series from around the world it lifts the bar , and this type of storyline is a bit old hat. 

Ive only got netflix and amazon ; so often i ll find obscure foreign shows ; was a decent Polish one about 2 journos solving a crime ; and a Russian one about escaping a virus ... to the lake i think it was

Just finished the recent adaptation of The Stand on Prime.  Probably my favourite novel and quite relevant for current times.  There was a version in the 90s which was decent if a bit cheesy and hasn't aged very well.  

This latest version is a massive opportunity missed.  There's a cracking story in there which is ripe for probably a trilogy of movies but this adaptation is a just a bit...meh.  It's woefully miscast in pretty much all the main characters, jumps about way too much in the first few episodes and must have been quite confusing for anyone who hadn't read the book.  They miss out a massive, and important, segment of the book towards the end and tie a certain plot point up with almost no explanation.  They've then added in a last episode which wasn't in the book (and is after the book ended) which is quite frankly, shite.  4/10 at best.

Mrs Mainstream here again but is anyone watching Line of Duty ?
I think it is pretty good but Kelly McDonalds accent does my head in. I think she is a very good actress   but her accent just sounds so false and it takes me ages to buy into her characters. 
I think the hype around the show is overdone but it’s definitely a decent watch. My only problem is trying to remember characters from previous episodes as there is such a time between series. 

1 hour ago, Clootie Dumpling said:

Came bout the Bridge by accident (Swedish/Danish) cop series, i got hooked on episode 1 by the no nonsense Swedish detective Saga Noren, i need to meet her :)  Have now finished all 4 series and loved it. Swedish Danish with english subtitles well worth a watch.

One of my favourite series. If you enjoyed that, then try The Killing unless you’ve already seen it. It’s very good too.

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I think it is pretty good but Kelly McDonalds accent does my head in. I think she is a very good actress   but her accent just sounds so false and it takes me ages to buy into her characters. 
I think the hype around the show is overdone but it’s definitely a decent watch. My only problem is trying to remember characters from previous episodes as there is such a time between series. 

It's good and it's got better as it's went on this time round but it's definitely over hyped and a bit too smart for it's own good.  Martin Compston's English accent is better than Kelly McDonald's Scottish!!

36 minutes ago, Tiny Tim said:

One of my favourite series. If you enjoyed that, then try The Killing unless you’ve already seen it. It’s very good too.

The original Scandinavian Bridge and the Killing were superb. I tried the American version of both and neither were in the same league. 

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Kelly McDonald's Irish accent and character in Boardwalk Empire were severely annoying.