Series Worth Watching - Page 58 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

8 hours ago, tartandon said:

Murder Among the Mormons on Netflix is a good 3-part true crime documentary.

If you've seen Book of Mormon, you might even have a wee giggle every time they mention Joseph Smith's name. Hasa Diga Eebowai 😁

Funnily enough I got an email yesterday to say Book Of Mormon is coming to Glasgow in January and was going to get tickets. Can you or anyone else recommend it ? 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Funnily enough I got an email yesterday to say Book Of Mormon is coming to Glasgow in January and was going to get tickets. Can you or anyone else recommend it ? 

It's fantastic.  I saw it on Broadway (clang!) on my Honeymoon and it was the highlight of whole 3 weeks!  I'd say don't tell Mrs F but she agrees!  A word of warning though, if you are offended by....well pretty much anything then I'd say it's not for you.  It's from the creators of South Park so has a quite similar juvenile and puerile sense of humour in places and some of the subject matter and plot lines are quite near the knuckle but we both found it hilariously funny.

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

It's fantastic.  I saw it on Broadway (clang!) on my Honeymoon and it was the highlight of whole 3 weeks!  I'd say don't tell Mrs F but she agrees!  A word of warning though, if you are offended by....well pretty much anything then I'd say it's not for you.  It's from the creators of South Park so has a quite similar juvenile and puerile sense of humour in places and some of the subject matter and plot lines are quite near the knuckle but we both found it hilariously funny.

Fairbairn, any recommendation from someone who hated ‘Cats’ is good enough for me ! 😁 The fact there is juvenile and puerile humour is an added bonus . Will get the tickets booked, could do with some cheer at the start of January. 

15 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Fairbairn, any recommendation from someone who hated ‘Cats’ is good enough for me ! 😁 The fact there is juvenile and puerile humour is an added bonus . Will get the tickets booked, could do with some cheer at the start of January. 

We had tickets booked for Edinburgh last summer which got kiboshed due to Covid so we'll be looking to cancel them and get Glasgow booked tonight.

I've got a relatively funny/embarrasing story about seeing it in NY. 

We went for dinner in a restaurant right next to the theatre.  We'd had a couple of early afternoon liveners and then some wine with dinner.  When the restaurant owner found out we were on honeymoon he kept sending drinks over.  Long story short by the time we went in to the show we were a bit giddy and more wine was bought to enjoy during the show (as well as being "forced" to go back to the restaurant at the interval for a top up!). 

The wine came in one of those souvenir cups with the closable lids and at the end of the show I placed it under my seat and headed out.  Mrs F was waiting for me in the lobby and asked where my cup was.  Told her I'd ditched it and she pointed out it would be "handy for taking to festivals" or some similar nonsense.  If I'd been anything resembling sober I'd have just left it however in my inebriated state I thought she was on to something so I made my way back in to the theatre shuffling by everyone else coming out.

Seeing that I was looking for something on the floor a couple people asked if they could help.  Not wanting to come across as a steretypical pished Scot looking for his bevy cup I inexplicably told them I'd lost my wallet.  Cue the entire theatre grinding to a halt and about 30 people in 4-5 row radius getting down under the chairs to help me look for it, ushers coming over with torches the works.  The longer this went on the worse it got as people were really invested in helping me find it!  I then spotted the cup, shoved it up my juke and announced "dont worry about the wallet, it doesn't matter".  People looked at me with pretty baffled expressions as they told me to stay as we'd find it eventually and I can only imagine what they were thinking as I hastily made my way out of the theatre with my face turning scarlet!

I've still got the cup.  Never used it at a festival though.

11 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

You probably won't take my recommendation having only watched two episodes of Home for Christmas. Even though it's not until 3 and 4 that the characters start to emerge.

Anyway, I thought it was brilliant, it does push the boundaries a bit humour wise but I know a lot of people that have seen it and some that I thought would hate it, really enjoyed it. If you don't want to listen to me, here's a picture of my man bag as we left the theatre. He loved it :)

Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 19.58.14.png

9 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

We saw it in London,we tried to get tickets when in New York in 2015 but had no luck, a year later it was on in London. I've never laughed so much on a theatre or cinema before. An older couple walked out about half way through the show. They didn't know what it was about, they only bought tickets because it was so popular🤣

14 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

It is hilarious. As others have said, you might not find it so funny if you are easily offended. But given that you are hanging out on here, I'm guessing that's not the case  😀

5 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

We had tickets booked for Edinburgh last summer which got kiboshed due to Covid so we'll be looking to cancel them and get Glasgow booked tonight.

We went for dinner in a restaurant right next to the theatre.  We'd had a couple of early afternoon liveners and then some wine with dinner.  When the restaurant owner found out we were on honeymoon he kept sending drinks over.  Long story short by the time we went in to the show we were a bit giddy and more wine was bought to enjoy during the show (as well as being "forced" to go back to the restaurant at the interval for a top up!). 

The wine came in one of those souvenir cups with the closable lids and at the end of the show I placed it under my seat and headed out.  Mrs F was waiting for me in the lobby and asked where my cup was.  Told her I'd ditched it and she pointed out it would be "handy for taking to festivals" or some similar nonsense.  If I'd been anything resembling sober I'd have just left it however in my inebriated state I thought she was on to something so I made my way back in to the theatre shuffling by everyone else coming out.

Seeing that I was looking for something on the floor a couple people asked if they could help.  Not wanting to come across as a steretypical pished Scot looking for his bevy cup I inexplicably told them I'd lost my wallet.  Cue the entire theatre grinding to a halt and about 30 people in 4-5 row radius getting down under the chairs to help me look for it, ushers coming over with torches the works.  The longer this went on the worse it got as people were really invested in helping me find it!  I then spotted the cup, shoved it up my juke and announced "dont worry about the wallet, it doesn't matter".  People looked at me with pretty baffled expressions as they told me to stay as we'd find it eventually and I can only imagine what they were thinking as I hastily made my way out of the theatre with my face turning scarlet!

😂😂😂

On 3/23/2021 at 8:30 AM, TDYER63 said:

Been desperate to see this and have now booked tickets after seeing this post!

Hadn't heard it was coming to Glasgow.

21 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

😂 even Mr Tidy wouldnt fight his way back through the theatre  for a cup of bevy,  and he has been known to scramble under the seats for the odd lemon bonbon that rolled out the packet.
You must look like a rich guy, they were probably all looking for a finders reward from your bulging wallet 💵💵💵💰💰

Booked the tickets last night. 

19 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

You probably won't take my recommendation having only watched two episodes of Home for Christmas. Even though it's not until 3 and 4 that the characters start to emerge.

Anyway, I thought it was brilliant, it does push the boundaries a bit humour wise but I know a lot of people that have seen it and some that I thought would hate it, really enjoyed it. If you don't want to listen to me, here's a picture of my man bag as we left the theatre. He loved it :)

Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 19.58.14.png

You look like the kind of guy who takes a large bag to the theatre to hoover up any dropped wallets and full cups of bevy 😁

17 hours ago, tartandon said:

It is hilarious. As others have said, you might not find it so funny if you are easily offended. But given that you are hanging out on here, I'm guessing that's not the case  😀

😁 there is more chance of my husband being offended , and that is not a joke. Thanks for bringing the subject up as it reminded me to get tickets. 

2 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

Been desperate to see this and have now booked tickets after seeing this post!

Hadn't heard it was coming to Glasgow.

Great , if you are really unlucky you will be next to me 😁

15 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😁 there is more chance of my husband being offended , and that is not a joke. Thanks for bringing the subject up as it reminded me to get tickets. 

Great , if you are really unlucky you will be next to me 😁

Coincidentally we received an email saying that our Edinburgh booking which was originally for June 2020 had been moved to September 2022 so we'd managed to get a refund and book a Saturday matinee in Glasgow.  Really looking forward to it.  I may even take my cup!

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Coincidentally we received an email saying that our Edinburgh booking which was originally for June 2020 had been moved to September 2022 so we'd managed to get a refund and book a Saturday matinee in Glasgow.  Really looking forward to it.  I may even take my cup!

Our tix are for the Friday night. Will leave a cup of bevy and PM you our seat number and Row for your Saturday matinee refreshment 😁

On 3/24/2021 at 3:54 PM, TDYER63 said:

your bulging wallet

:shocked: The woman has no shame.

On 3/24/2021 at 3:54 PM, TDYER63 said:

You look like the kind of guy who takes a large bag to the theatre

That's not a nice thing to say about someone's wife. Good job I'm not Ramy.

Well Tidy, encouraging Ramy to brown his meat, admiring Fairbairn's bulging wallet and calling someone's wife an old bag. I think you'll get along quite nicely with the humour :-))

Back on track, another series I didn't expect to enjoy is Call my Agent but I am. Tidy will probably watch 5 minutes of it and say it's just like Legally Blond or some other nonsense film but it's a nice easy watch.

2 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

:shocked: The woman has no shame.

That's not a nice thing to say about someone's wife. Good job I'm not Ramy.

Well Tidy, encouraging Ramy to brown his meat, admiring Fairbairn's bulging wallet and calling someone's wife an old bag. I think you'll get along quite nicely with the humour :-))

Back on track, another series I didn't expect to enjoy is Call my Agent but I am. Tidy will probably watch 5 minutes of it and say it's just like Legally Blond or some other nonsense film but it's a nice easy watch.

Stop trying to deflect from your large man bag. Do you fill it up with fruit shoot and pick n mix from Asda rather than pay theatre prices for your goodies ? 😁

Ok I will put Call My Agent on the list. I will give it 3 episodes. If it hasn't made me laugh by then its getting binned. 

I have watched 3 episodes of The Terror. Its ok, wouldnt rave about it, but good enough to stick with it. 

If you have Sky check out 1992, 1993 and 1994 (available to download). Was on Sky Atlantic. I had watched 1992 and 1993 a few years back and then caught 1994 late last year to round off the series. Have just started watching 1992 again as I decided to blast my way through the seasons again. The basic premise is six fictional characters whose lives and careers become inter-connected based on the real social and political culture of Italy during those years. It really is an excellently written TV programme and the soundtrack is ace. Also features casual references to major sporting events affecting Italy during those years. 

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, slasher said:

Started watching Game of Thrones last week. Now halfway through season 2 and I can't quite decide whether it's fascinating or the biggest load of drivel I've seen. 🙅‍♂️

Its brilliant stick with it. Is is probably in my top 3 programmes. You do need to buy into the outrageous storyline though.

We got to about the 6th series and Mr Tidy says ‘ this is just too ridiculous now’ , like the first 5 series had been completely believable 😂