Series Worth Watching - Page 56 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

20 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Now on Season 3. Its definitely a grower. @Tiny Timmight be worth giving it another go.  

Just finished The Serpent which has already been mentioned a few times on here. Going to move onto Schitt's Creek but then I'll try it again. Thanks.

Have you watched Home for Christmas yet?

21 minutes ago, Tiny Tim said:

Just finished The Serpent which has already been mentioned a few times on here. Going to move onto Schitt's Creek but then I'll try it again. Thanks.

Have you watched Home for Christmas yet?

Not yet. But it is definitely next. I have 4 series on the go just now which is about as much as my brain can handle. Soon as one drops off I will start it. Enjoying Spiral which a few people have mentioned . 
Will be interested to hear what you think of Schitts Creek. Took me a few episodes to get into it but they are only 20 mins each. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 12:44 AM, slasher said:

It's a Sin was fantastic on C4.

I didn't find the subject matter easy because of how I grew up but how those lads were treated was disgusting and the program shone a light on their treatment as well as prejudices of today and yesterday. 

We were looking for something to watch and we ended up watching its a sin. One of the best series we have watched lately and a brilliant soundtrack too.

36 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

We were looking for something to watch and we ended up watching its a sin. One of the best series we have watched lately and a brilliant soundtrack too.

About to watch the last episode tonight. Said the same about the soundtrack and thought all the tracks were by gay artists then it ended with a Belinda Carlisle song?

On 1/30/2021 at 12:05 PM, TDYER63 said:

Will be interested to hear what you think of Schitts Creek. Took me a few episodes to get into it but they are only 20 mins each. 

Hated it for 3 or 4 episodes but was told by others as well as you to get through it. Glad I did as there’s been a good few laugh out loud moments.

Drove me mad trying to think who the mother was.

4 minutes ago, Tiny Tim said:

About to watch the last episode tonight. Said the same about the soundtrack and thought all the tracks were by gay artists then it ended with a Belinda Carlisle song?

According to a quick search belinda Carlisle is a gay icon so I guess that's why it was used.

16 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

Hated it for 3 or 4 episodes but was told by others as well as you to get through it. Glad I did as there’s been a good few laugh out loud moments.

Drove me mad trying to think who the mother was.

Who is she other than Moira Rose ? I have never seen her before this programme. I like most of the characters but she is stand out for me. 
Its strange, with so many people feeling the same about taking a while to get into it, its surprising it wasnt pulled after the first season. They maybe gave it the benefit of the doubt as ratings probably improved as it went on. 

Rectify - might find it online. It's from about 2011 to 2015 or so. About a young man who was convicted of a murder at 16 and his release at 38 or so. Not a huge fan of the murder, neo noir mystery stuff ; but the acting by pretty much everyone in this is brilliant. Absolutely not selling it, but its probably one of the best series' I have seen in the last ten years.

Shtisel - drama about an Orthodox family of Jews in Jerusalem. It's in Hebrew and Yiddish. A culture I know very little about it, so I don't know how good it is, but what started as a bit of a surprise watch ended up loving it. Again, some really, really funny moments and brilliant touching scenes too.

1 minute ago, Tiny Tim said:

She’s great but the character I changed my opinion on the most is the daughter. I really disliked her at first but she’s really good.

I was like that with the son. I thought he was annoying but in the end I found him funny 

1 hour ago, Tiny Tim said:

She’s great but the character I changed my opinion on the most is the daughter. I really disliked her at first but she’s really good.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I was like that with the son. I thought he was annoying but in the end I found him funny 

I grew to really like them both too. I like the similar mannerisms they have,  its pretty funny and well acted. 

On 2/17/2021 at 1:00 PM, slasher said:

Started the Crown at the weekend. I'll report back when it's over, finding some of it quite amusing so far 🤔

I got about 4 in and gave up.  Pretty dull.  The missus wants to go back to it so no doubt we will at some point.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I got about 4 in and gave up.  Pretty dull.  The missus wants to go back to it so no doubt we will at some point.

I thought I would hate it but I liked it.  I am surprised they got away with the way they portray someone of the royal family which is why I probably liked it

Watched the 5 episodes of It's a Sin last night.

Very good. Well written / acted. Topical in relation to prejudices, recklessness and ignorance of that time.

Won't be for everyone. That won't simply just be down to the material though.

Good tunes too.....

Edited by Redz
Spelling

On 2/14/2021 at 3:16 PM, vanderark14 said:

According to a quick search belinda Carlisle is a gay icon so I guess that's why it was used.

My home city was known for it’s hip gay scene. Perhaps that’s why she sung the song Ooh Heaven Is A Place Called Perth.