Series Worth Watching - Page 53 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

On 12/6/2020 at 7:08 PM, slasher said:

I've deliberately avoided The Crown but a few people whose opinion I value have given it the thumbs up. Is it any good? 

Being a stereotypical big rabid Hun I started watching it a couple of weeks ago.  It's actually better than I expected it to be so far (although I've only watched about 4 or 5 in that time).

On 7/7/2020 at 12:36 AM, slasher said:

Gave up on (a) queen of the South and (b) Schitts Creek and (c) White Lines. I can confirm all three are unadulterated fuckin drivel! 

Apologies for the harsh lingo but I feel like I wasted half a fuckin week on this shit. I shall check in for some TAMB good cheer from Las Canarias next week, oh and to have a laugh at Brassrubber 🤣

Sorry Slasher but I have been watching Schitts Creek and find it very funny 😁 First couple of episodes I wasnt too sure, but am glad I stuck with it. I like that the episodes are short so its something you can watch if you dont have much time. I do think it is probably a marmite comedy right enough.  

I am also enjoying The West Wing more and glad I stuck with that too. 

Last night I thought I would try and find something from regular TV so googled ‘ best festive TV programmes. These were the programmes that came up. What a load of utter schitt. 
Strictly Come Dancing, The Great British Bake Off, The Masked Singer, Call the Midwife, Mary Berry Saves Xmas, Wurzel Gummidge, Birds of a Feather , Mrs Browns Boys. 

It is like they have invented a fookin Brexit Christmas  and taken us all back to the 70’s. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Sorry Slasher but I have been watching Schitts Creek and find it very funny 😁 First couple of episodes I wasnt too sure, but am glad I stuck with it. I like that the episodes are short so its something you can watch if you dont have much time. I do think it is probably a marmite comedy right enough.  

Last night I thought I would try and find something from regular TV so googled ‘ best festive TV programmes. These were the programmes that came up. What a load of utter schitt. 
Strictly Come Dancing, The Great British Bake Off, The Masked Singer, Call the Midwife, Mary Berry Saves Xmas, Wurzel Gummidge, Birds of a Feather , Mrs Browns Boys. 

It is like they have invented a fookin Brexit Christmas  and taken us all back to the 70’s. 

Brexit TV would have to include Love Thy Neighbour.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:46 PM, WCTA said:

For the third time I began Breaking Bad. I gave it a chance this time. Very glad I did. I completed the first season last night. Each episode gets better and better. What a thoroughably likeable character the main dude Walter is. 😊

I had to give it another go and persevere with it but like you I am glad I did. I have to disagree about Walt. He can be extremely unlikable and that is part of the reason I enjoyed it. Every time you thought he was going to do the selfless good thing he didn't - so unlike most main characters. I loved how all the charators developed.

Can anyone explain how The Witcher has a score of 8.2 on IMDB? 🤨😲 Even when you look at the individual scores there seem to be significantly more 1/10 or 2/10 than high scores.

It is obviously the Mrs Brown's Boys of fantasy series! 

On 12/27/2020 at 11:49 AM, TDYER63 said:

Loving Schitt's Creek. How's your Moira impression? I killed the staff room with mine. My David is quite good too.

12 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Loving Schitt's Creek. How's your Moira impression? I killed the staff room with mine. My David is quite good too.

😂😂 my impersonations are schitt. Every impersonation I do sounds South African. 
Is there no end to your talents ? Please dont tell me you can sing as well or I may have to put you on ignore. I am on a roll this week 😁

I am only on season 1 but Moira is great. The episode where she was advertising the crap wine was hilarious. 

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The new adaption of "Black Narcicuss" is utter rubbish.

Not a patch on Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's haunting 1947 film. 

Why not take a trip to the sleepy town of Twin Peaks if you have never journeyed there before ....

Ocht, I've taped Black Narcissus will still watch it though.

1 minute ago, bonzo said:

Ocht, I've taped Black Narcissus will still watch it though.

Watch the 1947 film after you've watched the modern series :ok:

The difference in the acting standards (Deborah Kerr and Kathleen Byron were incredible in their roles), the eerie atmosphere, the direction and the sexual tension is night and day.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Watch the 1947 film after you've watched the modern series :ok:

The difference in the acting standards (Deborah Kerr and Kathleen Byron were incredible in their roles), the eerie atmosphere, the direction and the sexual tension is night and day.

I've seen the film, should know not to expect too much from a remake. 

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Season 5 of billions. Not great after 3 episodes but Wags keeps it entertaining.

Schitts creek was ok, my wife loved it.

Can totally understand your fairly indifferent attitude to schitts creek, although I really like it I can see why others wouldnt.
I watched about 4 episodes before realising the father and son in it  are father and son in real life and wrote and produced it.

Before that  I had been thinking to myself ‘ they have done a great job casting this and getting 2 people with those big black eyebrows to play father and son ‘ 🙄 

Funnily enough I didnt like Billions. It really should have been a programme I was interested in given the subject, but I just didnt like Damian Lewis in that role and could not get past that. 
Its really popular though. 

46 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Can totally understand your fairly indifferent attitude to schitts creek, although I really like it I can see why others wouldnt.
I watched about 4 episodes before realising the father and son in it  are father and son in real life and wrote and produced it.

Before that  I had been thinking to myself ‘ they have done a great job casting this and getting 2 people with those big black eyebrows to play father and son ‘ 🙄 

Funnily enough I didnt like Billions. It really should have been a programme I was interested in given the subject, but I just didnt like Damian Lewis in that role and could not get past that. 
Its really popular though. 

Damian lewis is the worst of the main cast. Wags, Taylor,Chuck, chucks dad and wendy are great characters and good actors too.

12 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Great series, Audrey Fleurot always has my full attention. Genuinely can’t think of a more attractive redhead 

Spiral is class. Great cast. Agree about the stunning ginger. Although, the wee main cop is a bonnie looking lass despite sometimes looking like she needs a wash.

5 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Spiral is class. Great cast. Agree about the stunning ginger. Although, the wee main cop is a bonnie looking lass despite sometimes looking like she needs a wash.

Have you watched Braquo? It’s a dirtier/sleazier version of Spiral, complete with an even dirtier looking female officer