Series Worth Watching - Page 51 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

12 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Started the West Wing but not sure about it. The first 3 episodes havent grabbed me, does it get better ?  Dont know if I can tolerate that Mandy character for even 1  series , never mind 20 years of the show. 

@slasherjust remembered you were considering This Is Us, did you watch it and if so did you enjoy it ? I loved it, having withdrawal symptoms waiting for the next episodes. 

Still working my way through it. Half way through season 2 and I'm quite enjoying it. Problem is I need to pick my moments as Mrs Slasher didn't fancy it in the beginning, now it's too late. 

The West Wing however is a joint venture and on episode 10. All things considered I'm quite enjoying it but like you not really getting the hype. 

12 hours ago, slasher said:

Still working my way through it. Half way through season 2 and I'm quite enjoying it. Problem is I need to pick my moments as Mrs Slasher didn't fancy it in the beginning, now it's too late. 

The West Wing however is a joint venture and on episode 10. All things considered I'm quite enjoying it but like you not really getting the hype. 

It’s a pity your wife wasnt keen. 4 seasons of 18 episodes is a lot of moments to pick ! My husband went to bed before the end of the first episode but stuck with it and has enjoyed it, its not really the type of thing he would normally like either.  

I think part of the problem with The West Wing is the production is old, it was probably really slick in its time but its amazing how things have moved on. All that walking around corridors talking does my nut in. But I will keep going as those are things you can get used to. 

Someone mentioned Black Mirror so started that. First 3 episodes have been good. 

The West Wing is the finest TV program ever made, miles ahead of anything else. It may show its age, it did start in 1999 after all, but its near perfection, apart from Mandy, Mandy can fuck right off.

Anyone seen Occupied on Netflix? its really good. A Norwegian drama set in the near future, Norway has ceased Oil and Gas extraction, which upsets the EU, who do a deal with Russia to softly invade Norway and start production again.

1 minute ago, kumnio said:

The West Wing is the finest TV program ever made, miles ahead of anything else. It may show its age, it did start in 1999 after all, but its near perfection, apart from Mandy, Mandy can fuck right off.

Anyone seen Occupied on Netflix? its really good. A Norwegian drama set in the near future, Norway has ceased Oil and Gas extraction, which upsets the EU, who do a deal with Russia to softly invade Norway and start production again.

Ahem ...

Twin Peaks at 30: How David Lynch's terrifying oddity changed television  and melted our brains in the process | Armenian American Reporter

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

It being a bit dated is part of its charm for me. As I said I'm only 10 or so episodes in so I'll judge it much later. There's plenty there to hold my interest, just not sure if I would be putting it on the same pedestal you have.... we'll see. 👍

For me, seasons 2-4 are the best, some of the individual episodes are just outstanding. Aaron Sorkin at his absolute peak.

I just rewatched a clip from series 1 episode 10, as you mentioned it. Just a great 5 minutes of TV.

Edited by kumnio

On 11/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, kumnio said:

Its gonna have to lift its game to reach that lofty height for me, there are loads of series I have enjoyed more. TV is very subjective though , and it may be a grower. 

On 11/9/2020 at 7:10 AM, vanderark14 said:

Anyone watched Ozark? 

It was an explosive start and seems to be setting up a decent finale. Im on episode 5 season 1.

Where have you been Rip Van Winkle ? 
Its great, Ruth is my favourite character. A lot of folk feel it loses its way a bit but I have enjoyed every series. 

I think the first series (often the case) is the best. Two was okay but I wasn’t keen on the third. Still a good series though.

I agree with you on West Wing. Watched the first few but it didn’t grab me so started on Ray Donovan, another old series but much better in my opinion. Female friend of mine admits to having sex dreams about him but I think he looks a bit like a tortoise. Admittedly I’ve not seen the episode yet that started her off :)

14 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

I think the first series (often the case) is the best. Two was okay but I wasn’t keen on the third. Still a good series though.

I agree with you on West Wing. Watched the first few but it didn’t grab me so started on Ray Donovan, another old series but much better in my opinion. Female friend of mine admits to having sex dreams about him but I think he looks a bit like a tortoise. Admittedly I’ve not seen the episode yet that started her off :)

Have had a look. He’s not quite Jamie from Outlander but I have seen much worse looking tortoises . Think it might be his mouth. He has a grumpy looking mouth,  like a tortoise. He is probably fed up with folk comparing him to a tortoise.   

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Have had a look. He’s not quite Jamie from Outlander but I have seen much worse looking tortoises . Think it might be his mouth. He has a grumpy looking mouth,  like a tortoise. He is probably fed up with folk comparing him to a tortoise.   

I doubt it, apparently he's a bit slow to catch on.

On 11/10/2020 at 7:22 PM, TDYER63 said:

Where have you been Rip Van Winkle ? 
Its great, Ruth is my favourite character. A lot of folk feel it loses its way a bit but I have enjoyed every series. 

I have just finished watching Ozark and Breaking Bad so I am really behind the times. 😆 I enjoyed them both. Ruth is fantastic! I also think it is so unusual to actually struggle to like the main character in Breaking Bad. Every time you thought Walter was going to do something to make you warm to him he did the exact opposite. I liked that about it. 

On 11/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, kumnio said:

Yeah I enjoyed it. It was an interesting concept. Had many holes but still enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

I have just finished watching Ozark and Breaking Bad so I am really behind the times. 😆 I enjoyed them both. Ruth is fantastic! I also think it is so unusual to actually struggle to like the main character in Breaking Bad. Every time you thought Walter was going to do something to make you warm to him he did the exact opposite. I liked that about it. 

Breaking Bad was brilliant. We didnt have Sky when it was out but had one of those dodgy boxes that had hundreds of streams. We had to search for a stream that had a high rating, but our internet was shit then too there was no fibre optic, so we had to sit for about 10 mins to let it load up, then it would still buffer constantly . Despite that I still loved it. Will need to watch it again. Agree about Walter. Was hard to like his wife too if I recall . 

Better Call Saul is worth watching to if you havent already watched it. It provides a good back story. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Breaking Bad was brilliant. We didnt have Sky when it was out but had one of those dodgy boxes that had hundreds of streams. We had to search for a stream that had a high rating, but our internet was shit then too there was no fibre optic, so we had to sit for about 10 mins to let it load up, then it would still buffer constantly . Despite that I still loved it. Will need to watch it again. Agree about Walter. Was hard to like his wife too if I recall . 

Better Call Saul is worth watching to if you havent already watched it. It provides a good back story. 

Yeah agree about his wife. Hank and Marie started out that way and then surprisingly ended up the likeable ones. And poor Jessie! Yeah Better Call Saul is good too. The character development is what made both good.

On 11/18/2020 at 1:52 PM, Fish Supper said:

Just started to watch Utopia on Prime, feck i think i counted around 30 murders in the first 2 episodes. 

Further to this i actually found out that the original was British made around 2013 on channel 4. So hunted that down and it is far superior to the US made one. It needs to be watched in our current climate of world wide pandemic! Conspiracy, what conspiracy!