Series Worth Watching - Page 44 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

On 4/2/2020 at 3:00 AM, TDYER63 said:

Halfway through the latest series of Ozark. It started a little bit slow but does not disappoint. Ruth must be one of the best TV characters out there and the new marriage guidance counsellor Sue is a good addition. 

Suspect jason bateman watched a lot of breaking bad...

i googled the helen character as thought i detected a bit of irish ; shes actually from newcastle

edited to add ; peter mullans wife ; scary/crazy character now been amped up to cringe factor with the young guy

Edited by Auchinyell Sox Change

30 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

I thought you were supposed to be working from home? Lazy Mare

Meh, lunch  break Jimmy.
Are you no supposed to be catching up on Ozark so we can talk about it on the group chat ? 

44 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Suspect jason bateman watched a lot of breaking bad...

i googled the helen character as thought i detected a bit of irish ; shes actually from newcastle

edited to add ; peter mullans wife ; scary/crazy character now been amped up to cringe factor with the young guy

Really enjoyed Breaking bad, and yeah there definitely crossovers on the plot.

Very observant on Helen, must say I have never noticed the accent. Will listen out for it. 

Aye , being an older woman myself its a bit uncomfortable to watch. He will no doubt be next on crazy Snell’s hitlist if he doesn't provide the goods 🙂 

A tv programne is pretty subjective, Ozark is  one of the best programmes I have seen and one of the few where, IMO , it has got better as it goes along .But not everyone will feel that way.  If you had to pick holes in every plot line you wouldnt watch anything . 

Mr Tidy was moaning that the Money Heist was getting too unbelievable,  despite almost nothing in the previous seasons being believable in any way 😂

Edited by TDYER63

On 4/5/2020 at 7:19 AM, TDYER63 said:

A tv programne is pretty subjective, Ozark is  one of the best programmes I have seen and one of the few where, IMO , it has got better as it goes along .But not everyone will feel that way.  If you had to pick holes in every plot line you wouldnt watch anything . 

Mr Tidy was moaning that the Money Heist was getting too unbelievable,  despite almost nothing in the previous seasons being believable in any way 😂

Finished it last night

was enjoying it up until final episode ; not sure what happened there

you re right tho very subjective 

what ive noticed over the years ; since the advent of big budget tv series ; american ones is lot of the times they really milk each episode so lot of times is not that much going on

we had north and south etc back in 80s , but would “Sopranos “& band of brothers be the series that set the standard in early 2000s

for me ; Mad Men was my number 1

22 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Finished it last night

was enjoying it up until final episode ; not sure what happened there

you re right tho very subjective 

what ive noticed over the years ; since the advent of big budget tv series ; american ones is lot of the times they really milk each episode so lot of times is not that much going on

we had north and south etc back in 80s , but would “Sopranos “& band of brothers be the series that set the standard in early 2000s

for me ; Mad Men was my number 1

You are right about American big budget and milking the episodes. Very often a good series becomes a victim of its own success.

I am quite a patient person with TV and dont really need a whole load happening to enjoy something if , for example , the acting is good or there is suspense. But to just pad something out to waste an episode is a cop out. There was an episode like that in breaking bad, a whole episode about a fly in the lab. An hour of my life I will never get back. 

I could not get into Mad Men at all. I watched the first series then maybe most of the second, but i drifted away as it just didn’t hold my interest.  Really like Elisabeth Moss though, she is brilliant in Handmaids Tale. 

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Watched the first couple of episodes of The Nest and wondered if anyone could confirm something for me that’s not all that clear. Does Martin Compston support Celtic? 

Turned it off as soon as he confirmed his allegiance to them. But watched it later as soon as the brothers confirmed he is a bear. Happy days. 

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Watched the first couple of episodes of The Nest and wondered if anyone could confirm something for me that’s not all that clear. Does Martin Compston support Celtic? 

He sure does

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

He sure does

It was a rhetorical question!! In the 2 episodes I’ve watched we’ve seen a photo of him a a kid wearing a Celtic strip, it’s been mentioned twice that the character supports Celtic and we then seen him walking the dog in Celtic top. It’s been shoehorned in almost as much as the word “boak”.  

I find Martin Compston strangely unlikable (couldn't give a Donald duck about who he supports). In any interview iv heard he always comes across as a smug wank which makes me wonder if he is actually acting or usually just playing himself. 

17 minutes ago, dan cake said:

I find Martin Compston strangely unlikable (couldn't give a Donald duck about who he supports). In any interview iv heard he always comes across as a smug wank which makes me wonder if he is actually acting or usually just playing himself. 

I'm finding The Nest quite difficult to watch.  The Celtic stuff aside, it seems as if they're trying to hard to cram in words like "weans", "boak" and the countless swear words.  It's probably fairly representative of the west of Scotland but just seems a bit contrived.  Some of the acting is patchy at best too, namely the girl playing the surrogate, the oldest nephew and the parole officer guy who was also dodgy in the last thing he was in about the guy who was mistaken for a child killer.

Finished the latest series of Money Heist the other night. Really enjoy this programme. The speed of the spanish language works well with the fast pace of the story. Around episode 5 of this series was quite gripping. There are some really good characters. 

Been watching Tiger King too. First episode I just thought it was like a feud among big cat owners but it descends into utter carnage . It is unbelievable at times , almost makes you want to give up on America. Very funny too though.   

On 4/8/2020 at 5:45 PM, Fairbairn said:

Some of the acting is patchy at best too, namely the girl playing the surrogate, the oldest nephew and the parole officer guy who was also dodgy in the last thing he was in about the guy who was mistaken for a child killer.

And don’t get me started on Shirley Henderson!! 

On 4/13/2020 at 5:25 PM, TDYER63 said:

Finished the latest series of Money Heist the other night. Really enjoy this programme. The speed of the spanish language works well with the fast pace of the story. Around episode 5 of this series was quite gripping. There are some really good characters. 

Been watching Tiger King too. First episode I just thought it was like a feud among big cat owners but it descends into utter carnage . It is unbelievable at times , almost makes you want to give up on America. Very funny too though.   

Don’t know if it has been mentioned in an earlier post, did you see neymar in an episode 

3 hours ago, 86glebestreet said:

Don’t know if it has been mentioned in an earlier post, did you see neymar in an episode 

Yeah, he had a cameo role in the last  series. We didnt know he was in it and my husband said ‘ that monk is the image of Neymar’ ,  I just laughed at him. Turns out it was him. 
I watched a documentary about the programme after this latest series and apparently Neymar asked if he could get a part in it as he loved it. 
The show was originally just put out in Spain.  The viewing figures dropped off a lot in the second series and was getting dumped.
Netflix bought it and just shoved it on their catalogue  without even advertising it.
The characters only realised it was taking off when their personal social media was getting lots of hits. It just exploded after that. 

44 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Yeah, he had a cameo role in the last  series. We didnt know he was in it and my husband said ‘ that monk is the image of Neymar’ ,  I just laughed at him. Turns out it was him. 
I watched a documentary about the programme after this latest series and apparently Neymar asked if he could get a part in it as he loved it. 
The show was originally just put out in Spain.  The viewing figures dropped off a lot in the second series and was getting dumped.
Netflix bought it and just shoved it on their catalogue  without even advertising it.
The characters only realised it was taking off when their personal social media was getting lots of hits. It just exploded after that. 

I had to rewind it as that’s what I said to my wife, then googled it just to check 

On 4/8/2020 at 5:45 PM, Fairbairn said:

I'm finding The Nest quite difficult to watch.  The Celtic stuff aside, it seems as if they're trying to hard to cram in words like "weans", "boak" and the countless swear words.  It's probably fairly representative of the west of Scotland but just seems a bit contrived.  Some of the acting is patchy at best too, namely the girl playing the surrogate, the oldest nephew and the parole officer guy who was also dodgy in the last thing he was in about the guy who was mistaken for a child killer.

I have just finished this. I usually agree with a lot of your tv critique but feel different with just about everything on this one 😁

I think you might be a wee bit sensitive with the Celtic thing. I hardly even noticed it apart from the scene he had a Celtic top on. Its really just a filler, given that he was brought up on a housing scheme in Glasgow there is a pretty good chance he is going to support one half of the OF. 

I thought the young girls acting was good and I like the social worker guy. As you say he was in the programme where he was accused of being a child killer. I thought he was good in that too. He was in it with Kelly McDonald who I dont really rate at all as an actress, but there was a scene in it near the end, between the 2 of them,  which was as good acting as i have seen in any programme.  

Back to The Nest, I didnt really think there was too much scottish slang shoehorned into it.  I do however find the scottish accent a bit awkward to listen to sometimes. Usually when there is  a sort of hybrid of slang words but delivered in a more refined accent , that gets on my goat. You either have it delivered in a real weegie accent or not at all. 

I completely  agree with you  on Shirley Henderson ! arrgh 🙄😁

Overall I found the programme ok , fairly watchable but not brilliant. Maybe a 7/10. The best thing about it was the house they lived in Cove ! What a house. I am obsessed with it. You can actually rent it. I was awake at 2.30 am trying to find an excuse  to blow the entire families annual holiday budget on a week there 😁  

I also liked the arial shots of Glasgow . Glasgow is great. 

The house for any lottery winners out there ......

https://www.holidaycottages.co.uk/cottage/75979-cape-cove?source=aw&awc=5796_1586949532_fb4e48cc9d084868648f068dc9f7eb59&utm_source=affiliate window&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=generic