Series Worth Watching - Page 36 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

Watched the first 3 episodes of City On A Hill (Sky Atlantic, Showtime in USA) and enjoying it so far. Set in Boston in the early 90s - has Kevin Bacon playing a corrupt FBI agent. There are 10 episodes so looking forward to watching the rest of it when I get a chance.

On 10/20/2019 at 2:20 PM, TDYER63 said:

I haven't seen it but my husband thinks ‘Happy ‘ on Netflix is good .Its hardly surprising he enjoys it given this overview by Wiki.

‘’Disgraced police detective Nick Sax (Christopher Meloni) lives as a social outcast, filling his days with heavy drinking and substance abuse, moonlighting as a hitman to feed his various habits. After sustaining a massive heart attack, Nick comes into contact with a small, blue, winged unicorn named Happy (an animated character voiced by Patton Oswalt) that apparently only he can see. Happy explains he is the imaginary friend of a little girl named Hailey, who has been kidnapped by a deranged man dressed as Santa Claus ("Very Bad Santa"). Happy reveals that Hailey is Nick's estranged daughter, and sought Nick's aid believing him to be the hero cop that Hailey envisioned him to be. Though skeptical at first, Nick reluctantly agrees and the two work to save Hailey.’’

Gave it 2.5 episodes. Grim as. Its like Sin City x Roger Rabbit. I laughed at one bit when he was in an ambulance. The rest of it was just pish.

9 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Gave it 2.5 episodes. Grim as. Its like Sin City x Roger Rabbit. I laughed at one bit when he was in an ambulance. The rest of it was just pish.

I shall give you my verdict when I have seen it. Have never seen Sin City and hate Roger Rabbit so its not looking good. 

I am currently struggling to get through S3 of Goliath. Not a patch on series 1&2 IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...

"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" should be bigger than the UK that it is. 

It's the best sitcom since Seinfeld and Curb your enthusiasm. Just avoid season 13 (the actors were all off doing their own thing, leaving the season a complete disaster) and the current season (14), as it's obvious that the actors and writers are just going through the motions. Hopefully it doesn't do a Simpsons by continuing for so long that there's more bad seasons than good.

just watched 3 Series of Money Heist

Spannish series dubbed into English with spannish accents

Surrounds robbery of Spannish Mint - really good series - most enjoyable i seen in few years

stylish with good music, actors and storyline - runs at a good pace 

On 11/4/2019 at 12:45 PM, euan2020 said:

Surrounds robbery of Spannish Mint - really good series - most enjoyable i seen in few years

Not nearly as good as 1/2, but still ok. 

Ive watched the devil next door on Netflix, that was pretty good, but harrowing. 

3 hours ago, kumnio said:

Not nearly as good as 1/2, but still ok. 

Ive watched the devil next door on Netflix, that was pretty good, but harrowing. 

I've just finished the devil next door. Well worth a watch.

I vaguely remember some of the news reports at the time but never knew so much detail till now.

Anyone watching the watchmen on sky Atlantic?

On 10/24/2019 at 7:17 PM, dan cake said:

Giri/haji is well worth a watch, yakuza malarkey set in London and Tokyo. Last episode is a bit mental to say the least 

Just finished it, really enjoyed it. They worked the emotional issues in well with the violence. Thanks for recommending it as I probably would have overlooked a Japanese gangster programme. 

On 11/3/2019 at 9:44 PM, bonzo said:

Over the past 2 nights watched Giri/Haji,Japanese gangster series, brilliant. 

Same to you Bonzo. A second recommendation usually makes me take a look 👍

On 11/4/2019 at 4:45 AM, euan2020 said:

I love La Casa De Papel (its real name), but you do seriously watch the dubbed version? Any time i've tried to watch a dubbed film, it's been comically bad. The dubbing track just ruins it.

Try the original on Netflix with English subtitles. :ok:

9 hours ago, Dave78 said:

I love La Casa De Papel (its real name), but you do seriously watch the dubbed version? Any time i've tried to watch a dubbed film, it's been comically bad. The dubbing track just ruins it.

Try the original on Netflix with English subtitles. :ok:

I was planning to watch again, so might watch the original - typically i am am working on something so difficult to read subtitles  

13 hours ago, WCTA said:

I’ve been getting my heid nipped aboot getting that started. I’ve been coming up wae excuses tae watch other stuff. Is it that bad?

The acting is absolutely dreadful. I have watched 3 episodes and am struggling to even like the wee girl who is the main character. And her daemon is as annoying as fook.  
I haven't read the book, I imagine it could be good as there is the basis of a decent story, but IMO the dramatisation has been very poorly delivered. Even Alice Morgan who was brilliant in Luther cannot save it. 

13 hours ago, bonzo said:

I've watched the first 2 of his dark materials, don't like giving up on a series but think I might have to with this.

I am the same. When I have already dedicated 2  hours of my life watching something I feel the need to persevere. But  believe me , it does not improve in episode 3 .

Watched the first episode of War Of The Worlds and thought that was quite good.