Series Worth Watching - Page 35 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

On 8/23/2019 at 10:46 PM, phart said:

Aye reading books.

Or have a look at this guys story. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0pdktx9M6EcOsRg5LdLlXg

Some interesting jail tales in there, on how it works as a business etc. Boy was a stockbroker who turned into "ecstasy kingpin" drug smuggler/supplier , ended up in a supply war with sammy the bull (who was in witness protection at the time) and did 6 odd years in that famous sherriff's dude jail.

That is so weird you mention (edit:) Shaun Attwood's channel. I had also been watching a few of his interviews. He has some interesting people on. The prison rules are interesting. And how different levels of the prisons (e.g remand jails v convicted jails ) can be very different and then you get into the whole prisons abroad... it is a whole different world. I have to say I like criminals much more than politicians say.

Edited by thplinth

On 8/26/2019 at 9:37 AM, TDYER63 said:

Peaky Blinders. Meh. I was a bit disappointed. Style over substance IMO. 

Newspaper reviews seem to disagree right enough. 

Starts on Friday for me on Netflix. Looking forward to it again but going to have to remember not to cave the tele in with my feet when the Huns appear on it. 😄

10 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Starts on Friday for me on Netflix. Looking forward to it again but going to have to remember not to cave the tele in with my feet when the Huns appear on it. 😄

Dont worry, you will likely laugh at the billy boys instead of getting angry

13 minutes ago, WCTA said:

I thought the first 2 episodes were poor but it did get better. 

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

It works oot braw timing. She buggers off tae Florida wae her Maw and lassie. That leaves me wae the dugs and cats on my ain.
Peaky Blinders will keep me oot the boozer at the weekend hopefully. Although I have malkied through the Narcos series on Netflix keeping me occupied. Really enjoyed the first two seasons with Pablo Escobar. Finishing up the third just now and I see there’s a Narcos Mexico also. I read that it’s a totally different tale but along the same drug smuggling line. Some braw acting in the first Narcos. 

Edited by WCTA

2 minutes ago, WCTA said:

It works oot braw timing. She buggers off tae Florida wae her Maw and lassie. That leaves me wae the dugs and cats on my ain.
Peaky Blinders will keep me oot the boozer at the weekend hopefully. Although I have malkied through the Narcos series on Netflix keeping me occupied. Really enjoyed the first two seasons with Pablo Escobar. Finishing up the third just now and I see there’s a Narcos Mexico also. I read that it’s a totally different tale but along the same drug smuggling line. Some braw acting in the first Narcos. 

Narcos Mexico is very good as well. Second series on the way shortly I believe 👍

Just now, Jim Beem said:

Narcos Mexico is very good as well. Second series on the way shortly I believe 👍

The first lot of Narcos worked out well as straight after I finished season 2 I hopped on a plane and within 3 days I was swimming in Escobar’s old private pool. I narrated a video of it and flung it on FB. I might throw it on here. 

10 minutes ago, WCTA said:

The first 2 episodes of PB is more likely to drive you to drink than keep you out the boozer.

Re Narcos. Must be a man thing. Mr Tidy doesnt work a regular  Mon-Fri and watched Narcos on his days off during the week. He said ‘I didnt think you would like it’ when I asked why he didnt keep it so we could watch together. 😡

Not sure if you are one of the people on here who has seen Gomorrah. If not would highly recommend. 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

The first 2 episodes of PB is more likely to drive you to drink than keep you out the boozer.

Re Narcos. Must be a man thing. Mr Tidy doesnt work a regular  Mon-Fri and watched Narcos on his days off during the week. He said ‘I didnt think you would like it’ when I asked why he didnt keep it so we could watch together. 😡

Not sure if you are one of the people on here who has seen Gomorrah. If not would highly recommend. 

Is Gomorrah in Italian with subtitles though? 

2 hours ago, WCTA said:

Is Gomorrah in Italian with subtitles though? 

Sorry, was watching Manhunt - Unabomb tonight. Thats quite good too. 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

As my IPTV service is down i will answer. 

Yes. It is. 

I have a good knitting pattern I can send you 🙂

Half way through this latest series of Peaky Blinders and have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed so far.  They seem to have developed Polly from a strong matriarchal type character to pretty much the most annoying person in.  The scene where she's waiting outside the train station was just ridiculous.  The Billy Boys stuff is laughable and how Brian Gleeson's Scottish accent got past God knows how many producers, directors etc and was classed as passable is an absolute mystery.  Russ Abbot's was better when he was doing CU Jimmy.

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

New series of Goliath started on Amazon. So far so good, got that weird/surreal angle going on again. Great viewing 👍

I just finished that Narcos Mexico. You were right. Brilliant tele. I know you shouldn’t but it’s easy to see the cartel guys sometimes as loveable rogues, even if they do go around malkying every poor cunt. 😄

On 9/27/2019 at 7:35 PM, thplinth said:

That is so weird you mention (edit:) Shaun Attwood's channel. I had also been watching a few of his interviews. He has some interesting people on. The prison rules are interesting. And how different levels of the prisons (e.g remand jails v convicted jails ) can be very different and then you get into the whole prisons abroad... it is a whole different world. I have to say I like criminals much more than politicians say.

Just seen this reply. Aye it's weird how in American jails everything is done by "race".

26 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I think it is very telling. 

Yeah then when Wildman gets deported he spends like a year in immigration prison waiting to be sent home, it's much friendlier everyone mixes and is so much better for the soul than the organised racism in Prison populations.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:14 PM, TDYER63 said:

Had to turn the first episode off after about two thirds through. Wtf is it with all the swagging about every two minutes to shitty music? Was the script writer unwell that day or what?

Not a new show (got cancelled 8 years ago) but "Friday Night Lights" is a gem that deserves more recognition, the same way that "Buffy" did.

Give me those two over the borefest trio of "Game of Thrones", "Breaking Bad" and "Peaky Blinders" any day of the week.

Plus, I'm probably the only one here who'll be interested, but there's a new series "Dickinson" which starts the day that Apple TV+ launches on November 1st. It must have impressed the Apple tv executives as it's already been renewed for a second season, that's despite an episode not even been aired.

Plus Hailee Steinfeld is in it. And she's as hot as hell.

If the show paints Emily Dickinson as anything but an agoraphobic wall-flower I'm going to be peeved.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

I haven't seen it but my husband thinks ‘Happy ‘ on Netflix is good .Its hardly surprising he enjoys it given this overview by Wiki.

‘’Disgraced police detective Nick Sax (Christopher Meloni) lives as a social outcast, filling his days with heavy drinking and substance abuse, moonlighting as a hitman to feed his various habits. After sustaining a massive heart attack, Nick comes into contact with a small, blue, winged unicorn named Happy (an animated character voiced by Patton Oswalt) that apparently only he can see. Happy explains he is the imaginary friend of a little girl named Hailey, who has been kidnapped by a deranged man dressed as Santa Claus ("Very Bad Santa"). Happy reveals that Hailey is Nick's estranged daughter, and sought Nick's aid believing him to be the hero cop that Hailey envisioned him to be. Though skeptical at first, Nick reluctantly agrees and the two work to save Hailey.’’