Series Worth Watching - Page 31 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

On 4/29/2019 at 8:34 AM, Fairbairn said:

About 15 years ago I bought my then girlfriend (now wife) 2 tickets for Cats as a present for birthday/Christmas or some such.  She's always been quite in to musicals and I thought it would be nice if she could go and see it with a friend or her Mum or someone (anyone).  She was so touched by the gesture that she insisted I go along with her.  I tried to stress how much musicals weren't my thing and that Cats in particular seemed like a bit of a stretch.  She was pretty insistent and I eventually agreed on the proviso she could assure me there wasn't any kind of audience participation which she did.

Arriving at the theater we had pretty good seats and I found myself on the centre aisle seat about half a dozen rows from the front (back before the remove the middle aisle at the Kings in Glasgow).  The lights go down, curtain comes up and I sense some commotion behind me.  All of a sudden there are "Cats" everywhere in the room bar the fucking stage.  Before I knew what was happening one of the Cats ran up the aisle towards me and perched itself on my lap, rubbing his head against my neck and arm in that weird way that real cats do when they want attention and basically wouldn't leave until I'd patted his head.

They all returned to the stage and started the show and I sat with a burning red face for about 3/4 of an hour afterwards.  I'd like to  say that was the worst thing that happened to me that evening but the embarrassment and uncomfortableness (not a word, I know) paled in to insignificance when compared to the torture of having to sit through 120 minutes of what must be the dullest, daftest, most nonsensical show ever committed to the stage!

😩 Get your excuses in quick. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.classicfm.com/discover-music/periods-genres/film-tv/cats-movie-musical/

12 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Believe me, after 15 years of me bitching about having to go and what an awful time I had there is absolutely no way she'll be expecting me to go and see this!!

Just finished watching When They See Us on Netflix.  It's a dramatisation of the true story of the "Central Park 5".  5 young Harlem kids who were bullied by cops into confessing to the rape and assault of a jogger in Central Park in 1989.  4 episodes with first 2 focusing on the events as they happened with the last 2 set 10-15 years later.  I thought it was an excellent watch with some great performances by the kids, especially the boy who played Korey Wise (the oldest of the 5 at just 16) who plays him as both boy and man.  A pretty harrowing watch at times but definitely worth checking out.

53 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Just finished watching When They See Us on Netflix.  It's a dramatisation of the true story of the "Central Park 5".  5 young Harlem kids who were bullied by cops into confessing to the rape and assault of a jogger in Central Park in 1989.  4 episodes with first 2 focusing on the events as they happened with the last 2 set 10-15 years later.  I thought it was an excellent watch with some great performances by the kids, especially the boy who played Korey Wise (the oldest of the 5 at just 16) who plays him as both boy and man.  A pretty harrowing watch at times but definitely worth checking out.

Yeah that was very good. I watched the Central Park 5 documentary a wee while ago. I’m sure that is also on Netflix. Very good as well 

11 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Not sure its been mentioned but Virtues on Channel 4 was also good. Stephen Graham must be one of the best British actors ever. 

He is good at what he does but I tend to find he plays different versions of the same character quite a lot.

45 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Not sure its been mentioned but Virtues on Channel 4 was also good. Stephen Graham must be one of the best British actors ever. 

I watched the first episode on Wednesday night. At the end of it  **Mr Tidy said , without a hint of humour,  ‘ I will drive to the game on Saturday ‘ . 

Stephen Graham played the part of someone out their face on drink and drugs so well you actually felt you were them. As you say , fantastic actor. 

Finished Chernobyl last night. Outstanding TV. 

** Ps. He has now changed his mind. 

On 6/10/2019 at 4:50 AM, vanderark14 said:

Watching the Sopranos again. Pauly just cracks me up, the episode in the woods with Chris is comedy gold.

That Pine Barren episode was fantastic, that line about the Russian being an interior decorator but his house looking like shit hahaha

Don’t know if I could watch it again since I’ve binged on YouTube clips so much but looking forward to see how they do the prequel. 

Forgot how violent it was. 

On 6/9/2019 at 7:50 PM, vanderark14 said:

Watching the Sopranos again. Pauly just cracks me up, the episode in the woods with Chris is comedy gold.

Brilliant episode, Pauly is a great character (in a mad mental, funny kind of way) greatest ever TV series in my opinion, if only the ending was not black (😉)

On 6/7/2019 at 10:43 AM, Fairbairn said:

I finished this the other night, I agree it was very good. Thought it got better as it went on.

What I cannot understand is why the police did not link the real rapists DNA to the crime at the time? He was jailed for other attacks only 4 months after the Central Park rape  , surely to god they should  have checked his DNA just to eliminate him   ? 

19 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I finished this the other night, I agree it was very good. Thought it got better as it went on.

What I cannot understand is why the police did not link the real rapists DNA to the crime at the time? He was jailed for other attacks only 4 months after the Central Park rape  , surely to god they should  have checked his DNA just to eliminate him   ? 

I think they had made their minds up on who was guilty and didn't care by that point.  Especially the rape squad wifey. 

31 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I think they had made their minds up on who was guilty and didn't care by that point.  Especially the rape squad wifey. 

She came across as a horrible person.  I see she still wont admit getting it wrong, says they were in collaboration. Wonder what happened to the kind prison guard. 

As an aside, whilst watching it I thought the soundtrack was brilliant so called it up on spotify the next day . After about 4 songs I thought ‘ this is shite’ and switched it off. Its amazing how powerful music can be in a particular setting , yet uninspiring on its own. Its not my kind of music but I thought it was great in the series.