Series Worth Watching - Page 30 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

On 5/14/2019 at 8:19 AM, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Its not really 6 episodes. Episodes 3-6 have a running time of 80 mins. That's just 4 mins short of that standard 42 mins a normal 60 minute show is on for x 2. This season is effectively only 16 minutes short of the standard 10 episode season we have been used to throughout the run of the show.

But that's not really how it works, 6 episodes with one main theme for each episode while having similiar running time, wont get more done than 10 episodes with one main theme.

in one you can finish 6 storylines in the other 10. We've had what essentially filler in a lot of these longer episodes.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:31 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

Game of Thrones is a bit shite this season, the writing hasn’t been that strong since it overtook the books

Do you know (or phart probably will) exactly what 'season' and episode that happens?

edit no spoilers please. 

Edited by thplinth

10 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Do you know (or phart probably will) exactly what 'season' and episode that happens?

edit no spoilers please. 

It's different for each character. Jon snow it is Season 5 episode 10, but in that episode for example Stannis is already passed his book point as is Arya and Dany.

5 minutes ago, phart said:

It's different for each character. Jon snow it is Season 5 episode 10, but in that episode for example Stannis is already passed his book point as is Arya and Dany.

Hmmm... I just watched that wee psycho Joffrey take his last gasping breath the other night (S04E02?)... How long do I have before it pretty much goes 'off piste'? 

Edited by thplinth

32 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hmmm... I just watched that wee psycho Joffrey take his last gasping breath the other night (S04E02?)... How long do I have before it pretty much goes 'off piste'? 

I only started watching after it went past the books, however the reason, in my opinion , is the decision to try and finish it in 13 episodes in season 7 and 8. They had only adapted 3 od the books. the two show runners wanted out and rushed this to the end. HBO was offering them any budget and another 5 seasons if they needed it , but they wanted out and rushed the end.

Season 7 was bad, but you thought well it's building up to season 8 then you realise there is only 1 episode left and you're like WTF happened to the plot and storyline?

10 minutes ago, phart said:

I only started watching after it went past the books, however the reason, in my opinion , is the decision to try and finish it in 13 episodes in season 7 and 8. They had only adapted 3 od the books. the two show runners wanted out and rushed this to the end. HBO was offering them any budget and another 5 seasons if they needed it , but they wanted out and rushed the end.

Season 7 was bad, but you thought well it's building up to season 8 then you realise there is only 1 episode left and you're like WTF happened to the plot and storyline?

How many books are we talking about here? And if the author finishes, one more? You always talked very highly of the books so I'd rather draw a line under the TV series if it is going to get pishola and go back to the start and enjoy the books (assuming this cunt finishes it). 

Crazy they rushed it to a disappointing conclusion. If they had stuck to the integrity of the start of  it, they would have run for 20 'seasons' big audiences no problem.... aging cast maybe? 

36 minutes ago, thplinth said:

How many books are we talking about here? And if the author finishes, one more? You always talked very highly of the books so I'd rather draw a line under the TV series if it is going to get pishola and go back to the start and enjoy the books (assuming this cunt finishes it). 

Crazy they rushed it to a disappointing conclusion. If they had stuck to the integrity of the start of  it, they would have run for 20 'seasons' big audiences no problem.... aging cast maybe? 

no the show runners wanted to leave they had become bored with GOT.

2 more books winds of winter and a dream of spring, the books aren't going to get finished is my guess.

I only got round to watching episode 5 last night. I enjoyed it despite our internet being shite and spoiling the quality of the picture. I found it almost as engaging as the battle. 

There is always a massive risk when good books are dramatised. So much so I rarely watch film adaptations of books I have read. The only films that lived up to books for me was the Lord of the Rings trilogy. And even then I read them 40yrs ago, so may have been more critical if I hadn't forgotten so much of the story by the time the films were made. 

I have never read the Game of Thrones so have nothing to compare it to. I feel this final series is concentrating more on tying things up than shock storylines and I can accept that. However I agree with Vanderark that they are rushing things which is a big downside. I cant give examples without spoiling the story. It is however still head and shoulders above most TV dramatisations. 

Will be interesting to see how this prequel that Jonathan Ross’s wife is writing with George RR Martin will go . I am not building my hopes up...

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I only got round to watching episode 5 last night. I enjoyed it despite our internet being shite and spoiling the quality of the picture. I found it almost as engaging as the battle. 

There is always a massive risk when good books are dramatised. So much so I rarely watch film adaptations of books I have read. The only films that lived up to books for me was the Lord of the Rings trilogy. And even then I read them 40yrs ago, so may have been more critical if I hadn't forgotten so much of the story by the time the films were made. 

I have never read the Game of Thrones so have nothing to compare it to. I feel this final series is concentrating more on tying things up than shock storylines and I can accept that. However I agree with Vanderark that they are rushing things which is a big downside. I cant give examples without spoiling the story. It is however still head and shoulders above most TV dramatisations. 

Will be interesting to see how this prequel that Jonathan Ross’s wife is writing with George RR Martin will go . I am not building my hopes up...

As single episodes they are stunning. Really some of the best shot work ever, the music is amazing as well. The casting has been great as well.

As a continuous story though it is just falling apart at the seams, feels really rushed. Dialogue is terrible in comparison to earlier series.

2 hours ago, phart said:

As single episodes they are stunning. Really some of the best shot work ever, the music is amazing as well. The casting has been great as well.

As a continuous story though it is just falling apart at the seams, feels really rushed. Dialogue is terrible in comparison to earlier series.

That is a fair critique. I am fairly easy to please and the high standard from previous seasons has bought a lot of loyalty from me. 

It most definitely is relying on the cinematography, settings and audience/character bond to see it through to the end. The writing has indeed deteriorated and each new episode seems to lurch forward to the extent I wonder if I have missed an episode. I am not sure how long the final episode is but it is difficult to see how it can be wrapped up in 90 mins or less. 

20 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Rushed. 

That's been what I've thought of this whole season but i was happy enough with how the story ends. I'm definitely not one of the lunatics demanding a remake 🤣🤣

Edited by vanderark14

45 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

So, the end of GOT...............thoughts?

I too am satisfied with how it ends,  but am genuinely sad it has finished. 😢

I rarely feel like this about a TV show. The connection I feel to the characters is weird, but not weird enough to want it re-written. Wtf do people do with their lives ? 

( When they are not watching GoT and talking shite on TAMB  👀

This final series was rushed, without a doubt, which was my main complaint. But the good still outweighed the bad. 

This brief overview sums it up for me. It doesn't  give any spoilers on the final episode. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/game-of-thrones-finale-spoilerfree-review-it-wont-please-everyone-but-this-is-a-satisfying-finale-a4146741.html%3famp

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Pish.

Season has been a disaster from the start.

Not sure I 100% agree. It has been largely pish, but did have some classic moments.

The two big battles, although full of flaws and improbabilities, were pretty spectacular.

If they had only used the earlier episodes better to develop story-lines instead of just being padded out filler, then it might have been better.

The big difference with old GoT and the new GoT was typified last evening. As Jon Snow is getting accompanied along the docks, in old GoT he would have got his throat slit by an Unsullied who was disguised as a Black Watch guard. This all being watched on by an vengeful Greyworm. Instead it was a happy family goodbye with the Snows and producers and writers thinking of numerous spin offs with the cast.

All TV shows suffer it when they get successful. Jumping the Shark.

Everything was great bar the plot holes and pacing. However for me the first thing a story should do is be internally consistent, i.e. make sense, and this last season was nonsensical.

take a tiny bit. Jon meets Greyworm, they argue and Jon goes i'm away to see the queen, walks off and Greyworm continues doing what it was they were arguing about. Cut's to Jon Snow walking up the steps and suddenly greyworm got their before him, did Jon stop to take a shit on the way?? Or the Cave in, the two characters affected could have stood 5 foot to the left and survived. That's the first two scenes i think of last episode both had me going WTF how did that happen.

There's much bigger ones but they require spoilers.

The end has me howling with laughter. Cheers sacrificed for us go take the black while we take the thrones. Wait why is there a nightwatch again? Anyway Greyworm has sailed off you don't need to go now we were just bullshitting him.

I saw 2 waterbottles in the shots as well. Nobody giving a fuck at the end.

EDIT: Forgot my favourite bit was when Arya says "i know a killer when i see one" I know Arya i saw last episode as well, doesn't take Einstein to figure it out.

Edited by phart

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Started watching Chernobyl last night. Only watched 2 episodes so far but thought it was excellent, quite harrowing and tense. 

Not seen it but would make a crazy story, think brexit denial was bad.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Not seen it but would make a crazy story, think brexit denial was bad.

Yes, the denial is clear from the start. Based on what I have seen so far I would definitely recommend it. 

Its a TV dramatisation so there is probably a bit of poetic licence, but it does provide a believable account of the atrocity, its difficult to watch in parts.