Series Worth Watching - Page 26 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy posturing for an hour . Wtf is not to like ? Gtf with yer negativity 😊 

Agree with you on ‘Cats’ , 2 hours of my life I will never get back. And unlike cats I only have 1 life. 

Les Mis on the other hand . Anyone who doesn't shed a tear is already dead. 

:lol: 

I literally have no idea why anyone would write a show about Cats. I think it was a bet that he made with someone one night when they were drunk, the best was to see if he could write a musical about the most random and non-musical type thing on earth, and still make it a worldwide success. Kinda like how they did with "50 Shades", but that was to take the worst fanfic on the net and make it into a global smash.

Agreed on Les Mis.

"Phantom of the Opera" also deserves a mention. I know that people sneer at it, but for me it's got a personal connection, therefore it gets two thumbs up from this guy! :ok::ok:

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

For Comedy and Musical, look no further than the Book of Mormon. I know the creators of south park and their humour is not everyones cup of tea but I loved that show. We will Rock You was also brilliant

Peaky Blinders is a brilliant series as is Line of Duty. 

Saw Book of Mormon on Broadway and it’s one of the best things I’ve ever seen. Not for anyone who is easily offended by....well, anything but I found it hilariously funny. 

Back to TV shows, just finished The Victim. Well worth a watch. I tend to find Kelly McDonald a big wooden, although she gets great reviews in this, but James Harkness was brilliant in it. 

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Saw Book of Mormon on Broadway and it’s one of the best things I’ve ever seen. Not for anyone who is easily offended by....well, anything but I found it hilariously funny. 

Back to TV shows, just finished The Victim. Well worth a watch. I tend to find Kelly McDonald a big wooden, although she gets great reviews in this, but James Harkness was brilliant in it. 

We tried to get tickets for BOM in broadway but it was reaching its peak interest so we didn't get. We went to see it in London and like you I found it hilariously funny, the wife loved it too. We were sat next to an old couple from Philidelphia, the old man loved it and almost wet himself, the old lady was mortified and wanted to leave 😂

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

For Comedy and Musical, look no further than the Book of Mormon. I know the creators of south park and their humour is not everyones cup of tea but I loved that show. We will Rock You was also brilliant

I like South Park, and anything by Queen. Really will need to make an effort to see We will Rock You. 

Agree also on Line of Duty. I have recently binged on Luther as I  never watched it when it was out, but I still prefer Line Of Duty. It just seems a more believable programme, I mean when was the last satanic ritual mass murder in Johnstone ? 

That said, I loved Dexter and it was full of gore, think I liked it because it was tongue in cheek and funny. I was a bit obsessed with it. When it finished I took an unhealthy interested in blood spatter and joined the Michael C Hall fan club. Till my membership was suddenly revoked. 

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I like South Park, and anything by Queen. Really will need to make an effort to see We will Rock You. 

Agree also on Line of Duty. I have recently binged on Luther as I  never watched it when it was out, but I still prefer Line Of Duty. It just seems a more believable programme, I mean when was the last satanic ritual mass murder in Johnstone ? 

That said, I loved Dexter and it was full of gore, think I liked it because it was tongue in cheek and funny. I was a bit obsessed with it. When it finished I took an unhealthy interested in blood spatter and joined the Michael C Hall fan club. Till my membership was suddenly revoked. 

We will rock you is apparently touring again this year

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

No mention of Game of Thrones yet since the new season started

Has everyone gone off it?

Not at all .  I didnt want to post anything in case i mistakenly dropped spoilers. Have enjoyed the first 2 episodes, quiet build up, I liked last weeks episode with a sort of overview of all the characters before the battle. This week should be great. 

10 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Will need to check out Book of Mormon, and totally agree about James Harkness in The Victim. 

24 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

My nephew swears by "The Book of Mormon". He loved it. I'll probably give it a go at some point.

I watched the Mormon episode of South Park, even though I hate the animation as well as the voices on that show. The episode hardly featured the main characters so I liked the episode.

Still on comedy and musicals, "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" did a live production of "The Nightman Cometh" in NY, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, LA and Philadelphia. The LA set, filmed at The Troubadour was included in the season 4 box set.

24 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I literally have no idea why anyone would write a show about Cats. I think it was a bet that he made with someone one night when they were drunk, the best was to see if he could write a musical about the most random and non-musical type thing on earth, and still make it a worldwide success. Kinda like how they did with "50 Shades", but that was to take the worst fanfic on the net and make it into a global smash.

Agreed on Les Mis.

"Phantom of the Opera" also deserves a mention. I know that people sneer at it, but for me it's got a personal connection, therefore it gets two thumbs up from this guy! :ok::ok:

😁

I don't even like real cats so a musical about pretend cats was always going to be a challenge for me. It was shit. Never been interested in that 50 shades stuff. I am more a fluffy dressing gown kinda gal. 

Just now, TDYER63 said:

😁

I don't even like real cats so a musical about pretend cats was always going to be a challenge for me. It was shit. Never been interested in that 50 shades stuff. I am more a fluffy dressing gown kinda gal. 

Maybe it's better drunk or tipsy? The performers would certainly make it a lot more entertaining if they were drunk! Plus bring in a car or two... accidents happen. :P

Oh. Trust me. If you ever get the inclination to stick a fork in your eyes, attempt to read "50 Shades". I got 50 pages into it, I think it was 50, might've bee 30, just seemed like 50... and I was genuinely deliberating between sticking a fork in both my eyes or to put down the book.

Thankfully I still have my eyesight. 

Yeah, I'm more a fluffy dressing gown kinda guy.... :P

7 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Maybe it's better drunk or tipsy? The performers would certainly make it a lot more entertaining if they were drunk! Plus bring in a car or two... accidents happen. :P

Oh. Trust me. If you ever get the inclination to stick a fork in your eyes, attempt to read "50 Shades". I got 50 pages into it, I think it was 50, might've bee 30, just seemed like 50... and I was genuinely deliberating between sticking a fork in both my eyes or to put down the book.

Thankfully I still have my eyesight. 

Yeah, I'm more a fluffy dressing gown kinda guy.... :P

😂😂 watch out, you are gonna have the TAMB cat protection officer suspending you for being offensive to all the cats on the board. 

When you mentioned the 50 shades book I suddenly remembered what book I am currently reading ,  believe it or not it is  ‘ a street cat named Bob’ .

I am no joking. 

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂😂 watch out, you are gonna have the TAMB cat protection officer suspending you for being offensive to all the cats on the board. 

When you mentioned the 50 shades book I suddenly remembered what book I am currently reading ,  believe it or not it is  ‘ a street cat named Bob’ .

I am no joking. 

Pfft! They don't scare me! I have a spray can filled with water and I'm not afraid to use it!

Oh really? That's weird. The weird thing is the "cat", but also we're talking about Musicals with "A Street car named Desire" having its name parodied.

I think cats are begging to talk to us. World domination is next for them...

7 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Pfft! They don't scare me! I have a spray can filled with water and I'm not afraid to use it!

Oh really? That's weird. The weird thing is the "cat", but also we're talking about Musicals with "A Street car named Desire" having its name parodied.

I think cats are begging to talk to us. World domination is next for them...

I’m with you Officer Dibble !!! 

🙄 please don't give the conspiracy theorists any more ammunition, though my mums name was Blanche, she loved cats and I got the book from her 👀 All true. 

Well, I had better get out this fluffy dressing goon and get some housework done. Till the next time Mr Chripper 👍

32 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I’m with you Officer Dibble !!! 

🙄 please don't give the conspiracy theorists any more ammunition, though my mums name was Blanche, she loved cats and I got the book from her 👀 All true. 

Well, I had better get out this fluffy dressing goon and get some housework done. Till the next time Mr Chripper 👍

Oh great, a Top Cat reference. You do know that you're playing into their hands, don't you? Or maybe, just maybe they've gotten to you!! 

Nah. It's nice to feed the conspiracy theorists as it's fun to burst their bubble... or to prove them right! :P   Interesting. I haven't read it, I didn't even know that it was a book, actually, which is kinda embarrassing knowing that I'm a man of  literature. I know that there's a movie, though... not that I've seen it.

Enjoy the cleaning. :)

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

Oh great, a Top Cat reference. You do know that you're playing into their hands, don't you? Or maybe, just maybe they've gotten to you!! 

Nah. It's nice to feed the conspiracy theorists as it's fun to burst their bubble... or to prove them right! :P   Interesting. I haven't read it, I didn't even know that it was a book, actually, which is kinda embarrassing knowing that I'm a man of  literature. I know that there's a movie, though... not that I've seen it.

Enjoy the cleaning. :)

‘Literature’ is stretching it a bit...I hadn't heard of the movie , I read that it was a true story so picked the book up from my mum. I am only 3 chapters in , its okay , no exactly heavy reading . The cat hasnt annoyed me yet. 

3 hours ago, Chripper said:

😂

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

‘Literature’ is stretching it a bit...I hadn't heard of the movie , I read that it was a true story so picked the book up from my mum. I am only 3 chapters in , its okay , no exactly heavy reading . The cat hasnt annoyed me yet. 

Is it any good? I have no idea what it's about. Seeing the cover of the DVD was enough for me.

26 minutes ago, The Ormond said:

😂

It means novels. :)

You could've been nice and added a "Haha" to the right hand corner of the post.

C'mon, I know you want to do it. ;)

39 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Is it any good? I have no idea what it's about. Seeing the cover of the DVD was enough for me. 

I dont want to be too harsh as its a story about a guy whose life was turned around when he met a stray cat, I think its going to have one of these fairytale endings. Would make a good musical...

I doubt I will watch the film , however if the bloke on the front of the book is the main actor I may be tempted to give it a go, for posturing reasons only of course 😍

It is probably like the polar opposite of ‘ The Martian’ . My brain was bursting reading that,  I was having nightmares about having to resit my higher maths 40 yrs on from when i was at school. Toepoke suggested I watch the film instead which was good advice, the film was much easier to understand. 

There are of course probably other differences between cats and Martians. 

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont want to be too harsh as its a story about a guy whose life was turned around when he met a stray cat, I think its going to have one of these fairytale endings. Would make a good musical...

I doubt I will watch the film , however if the bloke on the front of the book is the main actor I may be tempted to give it a go, for posturing reasons only of course 😍

It is probably like the polar opposite of ‘ The Martian’ . My brain was bursting reading that,  I was having nightmares about having to resit my higher maths 40 yrs on from when i was at school. Toepoke suggested I watch the film instead which was good advice, the film was much easier to understand. 

There are of course probably other differences between cats and Martians. 

Do you know what a spoiler alert is?! I didn't know it was about that. :lol:

A cat turned a guy's life around? Was the cat carrying a suitcase full of money? Was the cat really a University teacher and the cat gave the guy personal tuition? Was the cat really a secret millionaire? Was the cat an intergalactic ruler and he gave the guy leadership over Earth? I really hope it's one of those... especially the last one. Sounds like a Twilight Zone story.

lol. Yeah, that's him. To be hones, the cat's better looking... for that's just me posturing. :P

Yikes! A bursting brain?!? Well, on the upside, many people these days don't have a brain to burst, and if they did and it did, the "burst" will be big enough to come out of the ear. :P  Mm... I didn't know that "The Martian" was a book, either. I think I have to update my reading list.

Really? Then I suppose you've never heard of Martian Cats.

15 hours ago, Chripper said:

Do you know what a spoiler alert is?! I didn't know it was about that. :lol:

A cat turned a guy's life around? Was the cat carrying a suitcase full of money? Was the cat really a University teacher and the cat gave the guy personal tuition? Was the cat really a secret millionaire? Was the cat an intergalactic ruler and he gave the guy leadership over Earth? I really hope it's one of those... especially the last one. Sounds like a Twilight Zone story.

lol. Yeah, that's him. To be hones, the cat's better looking... for that's just me posturing. :P

Yikes! A bursting brain?!? Well, on the upside, many people these days don't have a brain to burst, and if they did and it did, the "burst" will be big enough to come out of the ear. :P  Mm... I didn't know that "The Martian" was a book, either. I think I have to update my reading list.

Really? Then I suppose you've never heard of Martian Cats.

😂😂 all these questions, if only I had an unburst brain with which to answer them. People on here usually ignore me or tell me to shut the fuck up. In time you will do the same 😕

The book tells you what the ‘ plotline’ is on the back. 

Thanks for spoiling the excitement for me , I hadnt thought of all those possibilities. On the back cover there is a review quote from the Daily Mail, it says ‘ a heart warming tale with a message of hope’ . So my money is on the cat meeting one of the royal corgis in the park and befriending it. The down and out cat owner is introduced to the Queen and she gives him a job at the palace. A bit like Lady and the Tramp,  but with a dog and cat instead of 2 dogs. There may of course be a copyright issue there, I will need to think about that one 🤫

I was enjoying the Martian , it was quite a funny book, but there was too much technical reference. I read before I go to sleep,  on nights I havent guzzled 1/2 bottle of wine that is , I cant drink and read. It was too heavy for me at that time of night.

All cats look like Martians. Evil wee buggers. 

Apologies to all cat lovers, it is just a personal opinion. I prefer dogs. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

😂😂 all these questions, if only I had an unburst brain with which to answer them. People on here usually ignore me or tell me to shut the fuck up. In time you will do the same 😕

The book tells you what the ‘ plotline’ is on the back. 

Thanks for spoiling the excitement for me , I hadnt thought of all those possibilities. On the back cover there is a review quote from the Daily Mail, it says ‘ a heart warming tale with a message of hope’ . So my money is on the cat meeting one of the royal corgis in the park and befriending it. The down and out cat owner is introduced to the Queen and she gives him a job at the palace. A bit like Lady and the Tramp,  but with a dog and cat instead of 2 dogs. There may of course be a copyright issue there, I will need to think about that one 🤫

I was enjoying the Martian , it was quite a funny book, but there was too much technical reference. I read before I go to sleep,  on nights I havent guzzled 1/2 bottle of wine that is , I cant drink and read. It was too heavy for me at that time of night.

All cats look like Martians. Evil wee buggers. 

Apologies to all cat lovers, it is just a personal opinion. I prefer dogs. 

I know, it's so much more simple answering questions and generally if your brain is still intact. I don't know why that is, I suppose it's just one of life's little conundrums. You'd really think If a brain was burst and the cells were spewed all over the place it would make it more simple to engage your mind, but no. Oh really? Well, the general people in this place ain't brite enuff two hav a proper convo. :P Ew... I  should've done that, I loath text talk. *shudder*

I will, too? How so? I could write till doomsday... whenever that is.

Oh. Does it also tell you that covers are supposed to be an illustration purposes and not for spoilers?

That sounds like a decent idea. I'll put a spin on it... the cat befriends the royal corgi, blah, blah, blah, the guy gets a job at the palace... he then hangs himself as he realizes that all his freedoms and his choices have vanishes in the blink of an eye and that he's such a loser that it takes his feline friend to snare him a job. That might make it a little darker, but I like it, it's kinda got a "Shawshank redemption" vibe to it.

Copyright issues? Nah. I wouldn't worry about that. The author of "Bridget Jones" didn't feel any wrath when she plagiarized "Pride and Prejudice". That one still makes me angry. Fine, write a new spin on the story, but keep the female protagonist as an intelligent woman, not a flake that wears parachute panties.

I think it would have to be technical, to be honest, I mean, it was about **Spoiler alert** an astronaut that got trapped on Mars. It was hardly going to "Spot the Dog". :P

lol. You can say what you want about Cats but they wouldn't tolerate being lead around wearing a collar. No one bosses Cats around! And we'll find that out during the Feline Uprising.

44 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I know, it's so much more simple answering questions and generally if your brain is still intact. I don't know why that is, I suppose it's just one of life's little conundrums. You'd really think If a brain was burst and the cells were spewed all over the place it would make it more simple to engage your mind, but no. Oh really? Well, the general people in this place ain't brite enuff two hav a proper convo. :P Ew... I  should've done that, I loath text talk. *shudder*

I will, too? How so? I could write till doomsday... whenever that is.

Oh. Does it also tell you that covers are supposed to be an illustration purposes and not for spoilers?

That sounds like a decent idea. I'll put a spin on it... the cat befriends the royal corgi, blah, blah, blah, the guy gets a job at the palace... he then hangs himself as he realizes that all his freedoms and his choices have vanishes in the blink of an eye and that he's such a loser that it takes his feline friend to snare him a job. That might make it a little darker, but I like it, it's kinda got a "Shawshank redemption" vibe to it.

Copyright issues? Nah. I wouldn't worry about that. The author of "Bridget Jones" didn't feel any wrath when she plagiarized "Pride and Prejudice". That one still makes me angry. Fine, write a new spin on the story, but keep the female protagonist as an intelligent woman, not a flake that wears parachute panties.

I think it would have to be technical, to be honest, I mean, it was about **Spoiler alert** an astronaut that got trapped on Mars. It was hardly going to "Spot the Dog". :P

lol. You can say what you want about Cats but they wouldn't tolerate being lead around wearing a collar. No one bosses Cats around! And we'll find that out during the Feline Uprising.

I am an acquired taste.  I used to think that it was a compliment when my mum told me. Some people get fed up of me quicker than others, but they all go the same way in the end. Why do you think I spend so much time on here 😽

You have taken this plot line too far, the real thing is never going to live up to this thread and will be a real anti climax. There was no cat in the Shawshank redemption , I dont  think cats are allowed in prison. I will ask Stinkles. 

Bridget Jones stole my dressing gown, I suppose I could counter the copyright claim 🤫

There are no dogs on Mars how could you spot one? Ridiculous suggestion, I am not that stupid. 

In my next life I am gonna be a cat . It may come a bit sooner than I would like 😊

41 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am an acquired taste.  I used to think that it was a compliment when my mum told me. Some people get fed up of me quicker than others, but they all go the same way in the end. Why do you think I spend so much time on here 😽

You have taken this plot line too far, the real thing is never going to live up to this thread and will be a real anti climax. There was no cat in the Shawshank redemption , I dont  think cats are allowed in prison. I will ask Stinkles. 

Bridget Jones stole my dressing gown, I suppose I could counter the copyright claim 🤫

There are no dogs on Mars how could you spot one? Ridiculous suggestion, I am not that stupid. 

In my next life I am gonna be a cat . It may come a bit sooner than I would like 😊

Yeah, well, only about 0.0001% of people can tolerate me, so I'll have you beat on that angle. And it is definitely a compliment. People that are well-liked are usually conformists who don't have an opinion in their empty little heads. Bless them. Nah. I'm sure a couple of people haven't gotten fed up of you.

There is no such thing as "too far" in terms of telling tales. And telling tales of a Cat's talk tells all. I was referring to the prisoner who hanged himself as he couldn't adjust to outside life. And there was a cat in the Shawshank Redemption… it was invisible.

She did? So, she's a thief as well as a poor man's Elizabeth Bennet? 

No. There is a Dog on Mars. It's just difficult to see.

Is that code for "someone is trying to kill me" ? Yikes.