Series Worth Watching - Page 25 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

Just now, DoonTheSlope said:

Me anaw. I’ve been keeping an eye for ages but early 2019 keeps showing

It was around January/February last time it was on 

Only streams I can find don't have English subtitles either.

Apparently it's available on Hulu in the US now though...

On 1/29/2019 at 11:38 AM, stocky said:

Really funny episode last night.....   

also first time ive seen the Indy Ref debated / interacted in a comedy show.....  on the BBC...

Jonathon Watson,( well his character)  who plays a massive Tartan Army /Scotland till i die kinda guy.. is a no voter.....  weve all met those guys....

Worth a wee watch ...

Aye, it was quite a good episode right enough. The last two episodes have been much better than the opening two episodes which were poor.

They finally snuck in an "in joke" about Alex Norton's time on Taggart.

One slight thing was when they had that conversation about a supposed lack of Scottish sporting heroes, they could only come up with Andy Murray, "that snooker player" and Jocky Wilson. I was shouting at the screen "Kenny Dalglish, Jim Watt, Chris Hoy, Denis Law, Benny Lynch, Ken Buchanan, Jim Baxter..." there's lots of them. 

And what with me being an utter sad, sad, sad bastard who really needs to get a life, this bit annoyed me. Colin says he's been to watch Scotland all over Europe (but never seen us win) and names Latvia, where we have actually won both our games played there.

• 3 weeks later...

Two Doors Down ended very well. The odious Cathy finally got her comeuppance :-)) 

When does Still Game come back for the final series ?

Greg Hemphill and Ford Kiernan have both stated that this really will be the end of the road for the TV show. They are going to do one more version of the stage show but after that no more.

You do kind of get the impression seeing them interviewed on the subject, that they are both sick to death of the show and will be glad when it dies.

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Two Doors Down ended very well. The odious Cathy finally got her comeuppance :-)) 

When does Still Game come back for the final series ?

Greg Hemphill and Ford Kiernan have both stated that this really will be the end of the road for the TV show. They are going to do one more version of the stage show but after that no more.

You do kind of get the impression seeing them interviewed on the subject, that they are both sick to death of the show and will be glad when it dies.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the main characters is killed off so they can be definitive about it not coming back.

• 2 months later...

Not really into the posturing alpha male show like Peaky Blinders, etc. Yawn fest.

Comedy is more my pitch:

Santa Clarita diet: A Zombie/suburbia show starring Drew Barrymore. One of the better Netflix comedies.

Plus, if like me you like comedy and musicals, check out "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, also on Netflix. If you watch the promos it looks like a generic cheesy female based comedy, but it gets darker in season 3 (it's where I'm at) and it looks at mental illness from a different angle. Plus It's funny how there hasn't been musical/tv shows before now.

Edited by Chripper

11 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Not really into the posturing alpha male show like Peaky Blinders, etc. Yawn fest.

Comedy is more my pitch:

Santa Clarita diet: A Zombie/suburbia show starring Drew Barrymore. One of the better Netflix comedies.

Plus, if like me you like comedy and musicals, check out "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, also on Netflix. If you watch the promos it looks like a generic cheesy female based comedy, but it gets darker in season 3 (it's where I'm at) and it looks at mental illness from a different angle. Plus It's funny how there hasn't been musical/tv shows before now.

Did you like the wizard of oz ?

6 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Did you like the wizard of oz ?

Oh, I'm sorry, let's just mention posturing male shows.

Did you like Peaky Blinders? How about Narcos and all the glorious drugs?

Oh baby.

I'm definitely more comfortable with my masculinity than most, but thanks for asking. :)

Edited by Chripper

6 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Did you like Peaky Blinders? How about Narcos and all the glorious drugs?

Oh baby.

Never got into peaky blinders ; tried a few times ; do like historical dramas , but lot of those shows suffer from using same film set/street scenes over again

Narcos; Si Patron , thought the mexican one better

tbh typically avoid musicals like the plague ; was an American school band one that was popular few years back, and really struggle finding any comedy i enjoy

2 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Never got into peaky blinders ; tried a few times ; do like historical dramas , but lot of those shows suffer from using same film set/street scenes over again

Narcos; Si Patron , thought the mexican one better

tbh typically avoid musicals like the plague ; was an American school band one that was popular few years back, and really struggle finding any comedy i enjoy

I usually gives most shows a chance, and I did with Peak Blinders, but seriously, a show about Brummie gangsters?! I'd actually be more convince by a gangster version of the chuckle brothers... but peaky blinders is funnier and the chuckle brothers are a whole lot more frightening!

I really don't get all these shows about gangsters and drugs and true life shows about serial killers. I mean, what's wrong the human psyche that we have to quench our thirst on this kind of material?

I've always been a fan of musicals, usually the older ones. I haven't seen "Hamilton" yet, which has a contemporary vibe to it... and contrary to popular belief, straight men can enjoy musicals, too. I think most people in the arts have a natural inclination towards musicals and theatre.

3 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I usually gives most shows a chance, and I did with Peak Blinders, but seriously, a show about Brummie gangsters?! I'd actually be more convince by a gangster version of the chuckle brothers... but peaky blinders is funnier and the chuckle brothers are a whole lot more frightening!

I really don't get all these shows about gangsters and drugs and true life shows about serial killers. I mean, what's wrong the human psyche that we have to quench our thirst on this kind of material?

I've always been a fan of musicals, usually the older ones. I haven't seen "Hamilton" yet, which has a contemporary vibe to it... and contrary to popular belief, straight men can enjoy musicals, too. I think most people in the arts have a natural inclination towards musicals and theatre.

Of course ; the oz bit was an attempt at humour

was actually at a (school) musical last night - but kind of enforced

i saw Chicago with the missus about 20 yrs back in London ; thought it was impressive ; since that saw Carol King musical ( free tix ) recently ; a total “meh”

only decent brummie show would have been Crossroads

11 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Of course ; the oz bit was an attempt at humour

was actually at a (school) musical last night - but kind of enforced

i saw Chicago with the missus about 20 yrs back in London ; thought it was impressive ; since that saw Carol King musical ( free tix ) recently ; a total “meh”

only decent brummie show would have been Crossroads

I know. You'd be surprised by the homophobic comments, though, or maybe you wouldn't. A human mind should experience as much as it can, while it can.

Oh really? High school or younger? If it's younger it's cute, if it's high school it's usually not so.

Ah! Then you're one up on me. Never see Chicago, not even the movie version. Would you recommend it?  Yeah, I've seen the Carol King musical. "Beautiful", right?  I actually kinda liked it, which is rare for me as I don't really like modern musicals. Very few modern musicals earn the title a "classic", and don't even get me started on Cats. *shudder*

:lol:

Edited by Chripper

Junior high school for girls ; not sure what category it falls under

aye thats the one i saw “beautiful”

visit to NY couple years back ; family went to see Matilda by Times Square , meanwhile i took in the shockingly bad “Grimsby” at nearby movie theatre (renamed brothers grimm over the pond )the lengths i go to in Show avoidance...

23 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Junior high school for girls ; not sure what category it falls under

aye thats the one i saw “beautiful”

visit to NY couple years back ; family went to see Matilda by Times Square , meanwhile i took in the shockingly bad “Grimsby” at nearby movie theatre (renamed brothers grimm over the pond )the lengths i go to in Show avoidance...

I used to know the equivalent as my ex girlfriend  was from Seattle. Probably primary school, I think. 

The one thing that sets it apart from the majority of musicals is that it's biographical and that it's actually co-written by the person that the biography is about. I read the novel way before the musical was even a twinkle in their eye.

Oh man, Times Square? Lucky bastard! I'd love to visit New York. Mmmm… never heard of "Grimsby" or "Brothers Grimm", but by the sounds of it I'm glad that they passed me by. lol. You know, for a guy who tenderly mocked me for my love of musicals you've racked up a fair few musical miles yourself! Good for you. 

59 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Only saw matilda film ; loads of times

grimsby was by sacha baron cohen

Nice chatting mate

done work ; off to gym 

thinks Billy Elliot......

Smashing movie, who doesn't love Danny DeVito,

Ahh! "The Brothers Grimsby" it's called here. And yeah, I think about 30 mins of the movie and I checked out. Did they actually make a musical out of it? Bloody hell. I've never been a fan of Sasha Baron Cohen but no other movie made me want to kill before... maybe Thor: Ragnorock (sp?)

You, too. :)

lol! If you bump into Julie Walters you know what you have to do... :P

13 hours ago, Chripper said:

Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy posturing for an hour . Wtf is not to like ? Gtf with yer negativity 😊 

Agree with you on ‘Cats’ , 2 hours of my life I will never get back. And unlike cats I only have 1 life. 

Les Mis on the other hand . Anyone who doesn't shed a tear is already dead. 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy posturing for an hour . Wtf is not to like ? Gtf with yer negativity 😊 

Agree with you on ‘Cats’ , 2 hours of my life I will never get back. And unlike cats I only have 1 life. 

Les Mis on the other hand . Anyone who doesn't shed a tear is already dead. 

For Comedy and Musical, look no further than the Book of Mormon. I know the creators of south park and their humour is not everyones cup of tea but I loved that show. We will Rock You was also brilliant

Peaky Blinders is a brilliant series as is Line of Duty.