Series Worth Watching - Page 24 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

On 11/14/2018 at 12:00 PM, Fairbairn said:

On that note, I'm about half way through Peaky Blinders.  I'm really enjoying it however I've started to notice that it's very repetitive.  It's pretty much the same thing that seems to happen in just about every episode!

I’ve been watching this flying over and back from Albania. I’m halfway through season 2 now and the more I watch it the tidier Aunt Polly gets. That aulder sultry darker features wifie gets me everytime. 😍

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2018 at 10:41 AM, TDYER63 said:

Watched the first 2 episodes of S2 of The Sinner last night. So far so good. Similar to the first series, with flashbacks and  back stories. 

Currently enjoying season 1. Lots of twists, I highly recommend it👍

13 hours ago, slasher said:

Currently enjoying season 1. Lots of twists, I highly recommend it👍

Thoroughly enjoyed both seasons,  though I personally thought season 1 was slightly better. 

A series to not waste your time watching is the Agatha Christie ABC 3 part murder which finished last night. Absolutely honking.

I have loved Whodunnits since I was a wee girl and David Suchet as Hercule Poirot has been brilliant.

However, IMO the BBCs latest attempt to go a bit weird like The Sinner 1930’s style just didnt work, it was ridiculous. They dragged out a really basic storyline over 3+ hours,  padding it out with attempts at dramatic suspense which just didnt ring true. 

Finally got through the Breaking Bad series... ach what can you say but enjoyable nonsense.

Tried The Sinner... had to bail about half way through S01E03. Was getting on my teats for some reason.

Anyone got anything else worth watching? 

I have the whole series of The Vikings which I am hoping might be like The Last Kingdom (excellent). 

This IPTV is great. Your problem is finding what to watch not how to watch it.

Edited by thplinth

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Finally got through the Breaking Bad series... ach what can you say but enjoyable nonsense.

Tried The Sinner... had to bail about half way through S01E03. Was getting on my teats for some reason.

I have the whole series of The Vikings which I am hoping might be like The Last Kingdom (excellent). 

Braquo ? Brilliant.

Recent Netflix viewing has been Generation War ( German 3 part series about WW2 ) very good. The Innocent Man ( John Grisham only true crime book ) also good and similar to Making a Murderer and The Staircase. Finally, NSU German history X,  another decent 3 part German programme about the NSU terror group.

Fill your boots 

On 12/29/2018 at 11:26 AM, TDYER63 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed both seasons,  though I personally thought season 1 was slightly better. 

A series to not waste your time watching is the Agatha Christie ABC 3 part murder which finished last night. Absolutely honking.

I have loved Whodunnits since I was a wee girl and David Suchet as Hercule Poirot has been brilliant.

However, IMO the BBCs latest attempt to go a bit weird like The Sinner 1930’s style just didnt work, it was ridiculous. They dragged out a really basic storyline over 3+ hours,  padding it out with attempts at dramatic suspense which just didnt ring true. 

Watched the sinner season 1 and 2 yesterday very good, have tried to watch ABC about 3 times and never made it past 30 minutes. Little Drummer Girl is exceptionally bad I’m guessing all la carre’s good books have been done. Hopefully the 3rd season of true detective will be as good as the first and not as bad as the 2nd

5 hours ago, dan cake said:

Watched the sinner season 1 and 2 yesterday very good, have tried to watch ABC about 3 times and never made it past 30 minutes. Little Drummer Girl is exceptionally bad I’m guessing all la carre’s good books have been done. Hopefully the 3rd season of true detective will be as good as the first and not as bad as the 2nd

Dont bother trying for a 4th time, it doesn't improve the longer you watch it. There was a twist at the end , but I was so bored by then I just didnt care.  John Malkovich  just doesnt do it for me in that role.

Had a quick look at the reviews, which seem quite positive. One person said ‘ Another compelling episode. I havent moved or breathed during the last hour of the programme’ .

I felt pretty much the same, but for different reasons. 

Watched the first episode of the BBC’s adaptation of Les Mis. Meh. Is nothing without the music. 

Didnt know there was a new series of True Detective 👍

Watched the first three series of Underbelly a few years back when it was on Sky. Got a streaming service recently and noticed there are several more series. So have picked it up at the fourth series, Razor. It's excellent - reminds me of Boardwalk Empire. 

On 12/30/2018 at 7:34 PM, thplinth said:

I would heartily recommend Travellers if you don't know if it. I genuinely think it is the best programme on just now. Season 3 has just finished and hopefully there will be a season 4. 

2 hours ago, Stapes said:

Watched the first three series of Underbelly a few years back when it was on Sky. Got a streaming service recently and noticed there are several more series. So have picked it up at the fourth series, Razor. It's excellent - reminds me of Boardwalk Empire. 

Wow, Underbelly. Thats a blast from the past. I remember it being really good, even though i cant remember a thing about it. 🙄 I would need to start at the beginning again.

On a different subject I watched a documentary on BBC 4 the other night about the Waco Siege/disaster. I cannot believe I dont remember a thing about it even though it only took place in 1993.  

None of the commune survivors come across as completely sane, though the FBI did not shower themselves in glory either. One guy in particular, Jim McGee , sounded an insensitive bastard.  

A 6 part series comes out later this  month but I am not sure what it will provide that the documentary doesnt. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/5115201/waco-siege-standoff-fbi-david-koresh

Anyone watch Two Doors Down ? I've enjoyed the first two series tremendously but thought the last series was hit and miss and was not too impressed by the first episode of the new series the other night.

Don't know if there's been a change of writers but at times in the last series and this new one they seem to be trying to shift the focus away from Eric and Beth and onto Colin, Cathy, Ian and Gordon.

Joy McAvoy though :wub:

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Not a series as such but finished Manhunt last night and it's well worth a watch.  3 episode mini series based on real life events and hunt for the killer of a young French girl on Twickhenam Green in the early 00's.  Linked to a few other murders including Millie Dowler which most people will be familair with.  I was a bit reluctant to watch it as Martin Clunes plays the lead detective but he's actually really good in it.  Should be able to get it on the STV Player (or whatever it's called).

• 3 weeks later...

Vanished by the lake (walter presents all 4) is well worth a watch if you like scandi style crime  series’s. Two teenagers go missing in France 15 years ago linked to recent teenage disappearance, keeps you guessing right up to last episode with red herrings all over the place

On 1/10/2019 at 2:31 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Anyone watch Two Doors Down ? I've enjoyed the first two series tremendously but thought the last series was hit and miss and was not too impressed by the first episode of the new series the other night.

Don't know if there's been a change of writers but at times in the last series and this new one they seem to be trying to shift the focus away from Eric and Beth and onto Colin, Cathy, Ian and Gordon.

Joy McAvoy though :wub:

Really funny episode last night.....   

also first time ive seen the Indy Ref debated / interacted in a comedy show.....  on the BBC...

Jonathon Watson,( well his character)  who plays a massive Tartan Army /Scotland till i die kinda guy.. is a no voter.....  weve all met those guys....

Worth a wee watch ...

Edited by stocky