Series Worth Watching - Page 22 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

15 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Honourable mention on Amazon Prime to Goliath series 2 and also Looming  Towers, based around the run up to 9/11

Meant to add , the one thing I didnt like about Goliath was the use of H R Pufnstuf  in the weird amputee scenes.

That was one of my favourire childhood TV programmes, shown on a Saturday moring with the Double Deckers and Banana Splits. Dont think I will ever be able to think of it the same way again 🙁

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Meant to add , the one thing I didnt like about Goliath was the use of H R Pufnstuf  in the weird amputee scenes.

That was one of my favourire childhood TV programmes, shown on a Saturday moring with the Double Deckers and Banana Splits. Dont think I will ever be able to think of it the same way again 🙁

That whole amputee, drug lord moonlighting as a surgeon was extremely creepy. And that rich businessman’s amputee filled wank parlour even creepier. Compulsive viewing though 😳 😂

30 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

That whole amputee, drug lord moonlighting as a surgeon was extremely creepy. And that rich businessman’s amputee filled wank parlour even creepier. Compulsive viewing though 😳 😂

That businessman was brilliant, crazy as fook.  Fitting finish as well. 

About 5 episodes into Ozark.  We are continuing to watch it but remain a bit unsure! I really like Jason Bateman - he does dark like nobody else.  Someone told me that there's someone from Trainspotting in it - maybe the preacher?

Enjoyed Goliath.  Although, did think the ending to season 2 was poor (other than the outcome for the businessman which was horrific and creepy).

Has anyone watched Big Little Lies? A little bit "chick flick" in places but have to say i thought it was excellent.

32 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

About 5 episodes into Ozark.  We are continuing to watch it but remain a bit unsure! I really like Jason Bateman - he does dark like nobody else.  Someone told me that there's someone from Trainspotting in it - maybe the preacher?

Did Peter Mullen (Jacob Snell in Ozark) not play Mother Superior in Trainspotting?

On a separate note, how pish is The Bodyguard on BBC at the moment?  The actual storyline is not too bad but Richard Madden must be just about the worst actor I've ever seen and ruins pretty much every scene he's in.  He's that bad that he actually sounds as if he's putting on a bad Scottish accent and he's from Elderslie!!!

On 8/19/2018 at 10:22 PM, Ormond said:

Castle Rock on Hulu. A Stephen King series. Brillant.

It starts off based at Shawshank Prison from the King novel where Tim Robbins starred in the film. 

It's next on my list of series to watch.

Finished Under the Dome and I'm up to date with Mr Mercedes which I'm enjoying.

I'm also looking forward to The Man in the High Castle season 3 which is released on Prime, October 5th.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Did Peter Mullen (Jacob Snell in Ozark) not play Mother Superior in Trainspotting?

On a separate note, how pish is The Bodyguard on BBC at the moment?  The actual storyline is not too bad but Richard Madden must be just about the worst actor I've ever seen and ruins pretty much every scene he's in.  He's that bad that he actually sounds as if he's putting on a bad Scottish accent and he's from Elderslie!!!

The Scottish guy is horrendous. So wooden his next role should really be in a bonfire. Although; Keeley Hawes is (was) a stunner 

Edited by Jim Beem

58 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

The Scottish guy is horrendous. So wooden his next role should really be in a bonfire. Although; Keeley Hawes is (was) a stunner 

🙄, here you go again, I am still catching up , glad I watched episode 4 last night 🙂

Not only is his acting shit he looks totally unconvincing in the role of a bodyguard. Until the end of episode 3 when his hair took a battering he looked  like a model from a Next catalogue. 

Does anyone think Gina McKee has been made to resemble Theresa May?  The way she dresses and hunches over looking uncomfortable is very similar to May. 

44 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

🙄, here you go again, I am still catching up , glad I watched episode 4 last night 🙂

Not only is his acting shit he looks totally unconvincing in the role of a bodyguard. Until the end of episode 3 when his hair took a battering he looked  like a model from a Next catalogue. 

Does anyone think Gina McKee has been made to resemble Theresa May?  The way she dresses and hunches over looking uncomfortable is very similar to May. 

🙈 Never realised I typed that out loud. 😳

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 6:50 PM, Jim Beem said:

I thought series 2 of Ozark was better as well. I gave up on Power, cliched nonsense with some dreadful acting. I suspect you won’t see the end of the series. 50 cent 😂 dearie me.

I binged El Chapo on Netflix which was good, a bit like Narcos. Also watched Sinner on Netflix which I surprisingly enjoyed as it did not look like my thing. 👍

Just finished The Sinner , I enjoyed it too. Second series starts 9 Nov.

Also watching Killing Eve on BBC. Its actually ok . Easy to watch but still entertaining , its a bit quirky ( some may say ‘stupid’) but I find it fairly amusing.

That said, all these programmes with their weird characters and fetishes are beginning to make me feel I am duller than a very dull thing. I think I’m being outrageous if I paint my fingernails different colours  🙄 Maybe  I should start watching Coronation St again.

You were right about Power, I lasted 3 episodes. 

Watched the first episode of National Treasure Kiri the other night. Sarah Lancashire plays a social worker tasked with helping bairns in life. Sarah Lancashire is simply outstanding at acting. I loved her in Happy Valley too where she played a Bobbette.

10 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Just finished The Sinner , I enjoyed it too. Second series starts 9 Nov.

Also watching Killing Eve on BBC. Its actually ok . Easy to watch but still entertaining , its a bit quirky ( some may say ‘stupid’) but I find it fairly amusing.

That said, all these programmes with their weird characters and fetishes are beginning to make me feel I am duller than a very dull thing. I think I’m being outrageous if I paint my fingernails different colours  🙄 Maybe  I should start watching Coronation St again.

You were right about Power, I lasted 3 episodes. 

Never knew there was a second series of Sinner.  👍 Power is just terrible 😂

Dont fancy that Killing Eve for some reason.

Not sure if its been mentioned but ‘The Truth about the Harry Quebert affair’ on Sky is quite good. 

11 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Never knew there was a second series of Sinner.  👍 Power is just terrible 😂

Dont fancy that Killing Eve for some reason.

Not sure if its been mentioned but ‘The Truth about the Harry Quebert affair’ on Sky is quite good. 

I dont have Sky. Infact I dont even have Netflix, I just piggy back off my daughters boyfriend’s family subscription 😙

Dont even mention streaming from some obscure website, if it doesnt come with a remote and an idiot’s guide I am lost. 

Watched episodes 4 and 5 of Killing Eve last night, didnt enjoy them as much as the first 3. The spoofiness ( is that a word ?) which I previously found funny  is now wearing a bit thin. And that was with almost a bottle of wine to help me along. 

On 9/18/2018 at 9:13 AM, SMcoolJ said:

Enjoyed Goliath.  Although, did think the ending to season 2 was poor (other than the outcome for the businessman which was horrific and creepy).

Has anyone watched Big Little Lies? A little bit "chick flick" in places but have to say i thought it was excellent.

Ozark in first season is slow then punches you in the face last couple of episodes.  Thought second season was excellent picking up exactly at end of first.

On 9/18/2018 at 9:47 AM, Fairbairn said:

Most of these BBC dramas that they hype up and advertise to within an inch of their life are utter muck, all so predictable and deliberately dramatic. There is never anything subtle about them, it's all about cliff hangers so that Terry and Moira in accounts discuss it over the water cooler in the morning, absolute lowest denominator crap.

In fact, off the top of my head just now but I don't think the BBC have made any genuinely decent dramas since probably series two or three of Line of Duty.

17 hours ago, Mox said:

Most of these BBC dramas that they hype up and advertise to within an inch of their life are utter muck, all so predictable and deliberately dramatic. There is never anything subtle about them, it's all about cliff hangers so that Terry and Moira in accounts discuss it over the water cooler in the morning, absolute lowest denominator crap.

In fact, off the top of my head just now but I don't think the BBC have made any genuinely decent dramas since probably series two or three of Line of Duty.

I'm quite enjoying Killing Eve at the moment.  There was also another BBC drama recently, sure it was set in Scotland, called The Replacement that was quite good.

18 hours ago, Mox said:

it is the same guy who did Line of Duty who is behind Bodyguard - you can see that in the pacing, the dialogue and the ever more outlandish yet contrived incidents that occur. Good UK TV is quite rare in my opinion and if the BBC happen to show something that catches on, then they will promote it across all their outlets to within an inch of its life. Funny, you never see them discussing a great show on Sky with such verve on Good Morning Scotland......

I am amazed at how popular The Bodyguard has been. Heard on the radio that it is the 5th most watched TV programme in about the last 15 years, only being beaten by The X Factor in its heyday and the odd episode of Coronation St.

I really must be missing something , I found it average at best. Some of the acting was shit, and I dont just mean the scottish guy. 

After really enjoying the first 3 series of Better Call Saul, this last one is a bit disappointing.

Not saying its shite or that but I think I'm finding it rambling too much. Not much cohesion between the sub-plots.

It will have to be a humdinger of a final series episode next week to pull everything together.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 6:48 PM, Mitre said:

After really enjoying the first 3 series of Better Call Saul, this last one is a bit disappointing.

Not saying its shite or that but I think I'm finding it rambling too much. Not much cohesion between the sub-plots.

It will have to be a humdinger of a final series episode next week to pull everything together.

I cant believe that last episode was the end of the series. Very poor finish. I liked the episode with the letter writing , thought it was funny, but agree the whole series has been a bit rambling. Think they are dragging it out too much. Surely the next series has to wrap it up.