Two Questions - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1. What do European (and other metric-using) countries call the 18-yard line and 6-yard line? I suppose they could just call the 18-yard box the penalty box or something, but do they use 18 yard and 6 yard in their terminology?

2. Why do Guyana, French Guiana and Surinam not play in CONMEBOL? I guess a colonial thing, where by being, until recently, colonies of Britain, France and Netherlands they were more similar to Caribbean countries and are therefore in CONCACAF for that reason. But don't know. And if that is the case, why no moves to move confederation in recent times? (I think status of French Guiana is still a French overseas territory?? but the others are independent states??)

2. Why do Guyana, French Guiana and Surinam not play in CONMEBOL? I guess a colonial thing, where by being, until recently, colonies of Britain, France and Netherlands they were more similar to Caribbean countries and are therefore in CONCACAF for that reason. But don't know. And if that is the case, why no moves to move confederation in recent times? (I think status of French Guiana is still a French overseas territory?? but the others are independent states??)

I do not think French Guiana are in FIFA as they are oversea's territory of France and only take part in the Gold and Caribbean Cup.

Suspect it will just be because France, Britain and Netherlands had colones in the Caribbean, so will feel stronger ties to them than they would with Brazil, Columbia, Argentina etc.........

Also, given their size and strength when it comes to football, they would no doubt be the whipping boys of South America if they had to play there, rather than play against nations of a similar standard.

On a similar note, Geography does not seem to come into it as few years back New Zealand asked FIFA if they could join CONMEBOL, which (surprise, surprise) got Blatters blessing.... only for the New Zealand FA to scrap the idea in the end.

IIRC France's colonies are considered part of France. And as such actually play in UEFA.

Most of them have the Euro and vote in French presidential elections. One of the reasons that France's colonial breakup was so bloody. They genuinely saw them leaving as an attack on France as a whole.

J

i dont know if they have a name for the line its self, but the 18 yard box is called le surface in french. Not sure about the 6 yard box though...I dont think they actually have a name for it either. They just tend (in my experience) to say how many meters out the shot came from

Edited by yourname

i dont know if they have a name for the line its self, but the 18 yard box is called le surface in french. Not sure about the 6 yard box though...I dont think they actually have a name for it either. They just tend (in my experience) to say how many meters out the shot came from

I should have known but my French is pretty rusty these days so I googled it.

18 yard box or penalty box is : surface de réparation

6 yard box is actually the 6 metres - les 6 metres