Sectarian Singing - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sectarian Singing

What about songs about child abuse?

Jeezo! The Old Firm really is a poisonous cesspit!

Would depend on the context. If it slanders an individual or is celebrating the abuse it could fit into the first category. Either way its unacceptable.

What do you think?

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about Aberdeen fans.

And while you were thinking about Aberdeen fans were you also thinking that songs about child abuse are just as bad as sectarian songs?

Doesn't seem to matter either way as the SFA don't seem bothered either way.

Carry on with yer sectarian singin Fellas!

DEAL!

that would cut out those songs (which I don't think have been sung for years anyway) from Pittodrie for good.

Great idea - and every time the OF sing their hate, they have to play behind closed doors too

Agree completely

They do sing those songs though and that is my point. You can't just whine about one set of fans "cos they're the wurst so they ur " and it suits your agenda. Everyone has to be treated the same.

Sadly too many people have blinkers on.

Your reply is interesting too. It shows your bias against Rangers and their fans. I have never sung those songs, never struck any woman ever, and I'm not a racist as my friends of multiple ethnicities shows. Oh and I'm an atheist, so I find religion a boring topic and don't discriminate based on that either. Basically I'm a normal guy.

You've assumed differently making you a bigot.

Just so it's clear I'd be happy for Rangers to be made to play behind closed doors for the sectarian pish but I'd expect others to be punished in exactly the same way for the same offence. Can you say the same?

Ignored the above post I see. In your desperate attempts to deflect.

I agree with Maq - we have a deal. We should be condemning all such abuse and tackling it. However you would prefer to point at others rather than just doing so

And while you were thinking about Aberdeen fans were you also thinking that songs about child abuse are just as bad as sectarian songs?

Is that your getout? "We don't sing sectarian songs, we just sing about child abuse".

Carry on with yer sectarian singin Fellas!

I've never sang a sectarian song in my puff!!! :ok:

Is that your get out?

I don't we'll get anyone on this board admitting to singing offensive songs sectarian or otherwise.

The fact remains that 2 clubs in particular have a significant problem with sectarianism and no amount of whataboutery or claiming 'its just for the 90 minutes' makes it any less of an issue.

Is that your getout? "We don't sing sectarian songs, we just sing about child abuse".

You're confused.

There's a quite a bit of confusion from Old Firm fans on this thread. Confusion, deflection and whataboutery.

I am not now nor have I ever been an Aberdeen fan.

And just so there's no further confusion: singing sectarian somgs is unacceptable and if your club is found guilty of it you should play your next match behind closed doors.

The child abuse songs are in extremely poor taste, arguably to the point of being offensive (and therefor illegal).

They do mostly play in the grey area though, eg "Jimmy saville, he's one of your own," doesn't actually mention it, it's just implied.

Either way it's in extremely poor taste, and nothing to do with football.

The child abuse songs are in extremely poor taste, arguably to the point of being offensive (and therefor illegal).

They do mostly play in the grey area though, eg "Jimmy saville, he's one of your own," doesn't actually mention it, it's just implied.

I agree with that.

No place for it.

I would also chip with Dundee Utd fans singing 'he does what he wants' in support of Goodwillie and Aberdeen fans (and other teams) replying with singing "you know she said no".

I know nothing came of the case but for f*ck sake using and glorifying an alleged sex attack to score points at a match is very poor. Both chants were equally bad.

I agree with that.

No place for it.

I would also chip with Dundee Utd fans singing 'he does what he wants' in support of Goodwillie and Aberdeen fans (and other teams) replying with singing "you know she said no".

I know nothing came of the case but for f*ck sake using and glorifying an alleged sex attack to score points at a match is very poor. Both chants were equally bad.

Agreed. Toe-curling stuff from United fans. Songs for the hard of thinking.

That's a cop out.

Cops could start lifting folk, others would take heed and stop

If it continues, games could be stopped. Or 3-0 losses handed out, or future games played behind closed doors.

There's plenty of punishments available, but the SFA aren't serious (or don't have the balls) to sort it out

:ok:

Ignored the above post I see. In your desperate attempts to deflect.

I agree with Maq - we have a deal. We should be condemning all such abuse and tackling it. However you would prefer to point at others rather than just doing so

Just you ignore my later post so you can have a wee pop, no problem.

No deflection here, just a realistic attitude that it's not all Rangers fans. Some people on here though just can't accept that. I'd say they were the ones deflecting.

In case you can't find my later post, or are too blinkered I condemned all bigotry and agreed that currently the Rangers fans are particularly bad.

I know a Rangers fan who doesn't sing sectarian songs. I did hear 20,000+ singing them at Hampden last week however. And you're right that Rangers fans are currently the worst, where "currently" covers the last 40 years that I've watched football for.

Can anyone remember a time when a club other than Rangers sang more sectarian songs? Genuine question?

Is that your get out?

I don't we'll get anyone on this board admitting to singing offensive songs sectarian or otherwise.

The fact remains that 2 clubs in particular have a significant problem with sectarianism and no amount of whataboutery or claiming 'its just for the 90 minutes' makes it any less of an issue.

I have. When I was younger,pished and never knew what i know now. You think it's funny at the time,but the cold light of day,its a waste of fukkin breath.

I'm not proud of it,and if I heard the bairn pick any of it up,he would get a boot up the arse.

how about ; your granny is safe - good humour , or poor taste , offensive to grannies ; young men who are in relationships with grannies , and young kids asking their embarrassed parents ; why is their granny safe ; and what has rooney to do with it ?

cannot stomach the sectarian bile ; but the over sanitizing of the game since 90s also puts me off

how about ; your granny is safe - good humour , or poor taste , offensive to grannies ; young men who are in relationships with grannies , and young kids asking their embarrassed parents ; why is their granny safe ; and what has rooney to do with it ?

cannot stomach the sectarian bile ; but the over sanitizing of the game since 90s also puts me off

And this is why the law is so difficult to word.

Some would say it's all offensive so should be banned and others like yourself don't agree.

Some songs are obviously bigoted but others dance along the lines.