Sectarian Singing - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sectarian Singing

Rangers are not the problem (for a change!) it's Scottish society. Rangers do however seem to have the majority of the singing mentals following them though.

The current situation with the Board and Mike Ashley seems to be exacerbating the situation.

I had hoped this whole "journey" up the divisions would allow us to leave some of the knuckledraggers behind but it's gone the other way instead.

Sorry, but you can't blame Mike Ashley for this.

He wasn't around for the last 50+ years of accepted bigotry from the fans

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't understand why decent people support Rangers. Rangers ARE sectarian, it's not an adjunct, it's the reason the club is and it's been their lifeblood ever since Celtic came along.

This Rangers is the same club as the old Rangers. Same values, same triumphalism, same small minded bigotry. Why support them, unless you're into waving Union Jacks and hating Catholics? There are plenty of other, less toxic football clubs.

Just my opinion, I just don't get it.

Your opinion is wrong. Rangers were formed 15 years before Celtic by some blokes from the Glasgow Rowing Club (I think). The sectarian bile only attached itself to the club about 30 years or so later after the first world war. So hardly the reason for its existence. Too many people think the football teams are the cause. They're not, they are just the most obvious outpouring.

I support Rangers because my Dad did. I didn't understand the sectarian nonsense until I was in my teens as my Dad was an atheist and had no interest in religion. Why should I drop my team because some knuckledraggers support it too? Most of them weren't born when I was following the team. They can off and support another team instead.

Sorry, but you can't blame Mike Ashley for this.

He wasn't around for the last 50+ years of accepted bigotry from the fans

Can you actually read? I'm not blaming Ashley for anything. It's the bampots that are upset by his existence that are the problem. You really should try reading things properly.

Whilst one lot sang about rule britannia, fenians and the pope the other lot were waving fireworks, bottling a kid in a minubus whilst singing the national anthem of another country.

Glasgow's shame - two cheeks of the same a*se.

It's about time the beaks shut the filth down once and for all.

Can you actually read? I'm not blaming Ashley for anything. It's the bampots that are upset by his existence that are the problem. You really should try reading things properly.

The bampots being upset by his existence cause the bigotry?

I'm upset I didn't win the lottery tonight, doesn't mean I'll resort to singing about Fenians.

If you can't see the problem, you're part of it I'm afraid.

I've supported Aberdeen all my life. If the club started allowing bigotry to become part of the culture of the club, which it has at rangers, I wouldn't defend the club, or just say "ach, they're just morons, what can you do!" - I'd try and force my club to act.

Your opinion is wrong. Rangers were formed 15 years before Celtic by some blokes from the Glasgow Rowing Club (I think). The sectarian bile only attached itself to the club about 30 years or so later after the first world war. So hardly the reason for its existence. Too many people think the football teams are the cause. They're not, they are just the most obvious outpouring.

I support Rangers because my Dad did. I didn't understand the sectarian nonsense until I was in my teens as my Dad was an atheist and had no interest in religion. Why should I drop my team because some knuckledraggers support it too? Most of them weren't born when I was following the team. They can badger off and support another team instead.

I'm afraid my opinion - that I can't understand why a decent person with reasonable morals and ethical values would choose to support an institution so stained by sectarianism - can't be "wrong". I don't understand it, it's alien to me.

I'm aware that Rangers were a "normal" team until Celtic turned up - you might put it after the First World War before it became institutionalised if you like. Bear in mind that "normal" institutions in the 1870s and 1880s didn't allow Irish Catholics to become members - the whole of the Scottish establishment was racist and sectarian. Rangers thrived on it where others evolved.

And since the outside world moved on from their strange, hateful view of the world they have perpetuated it. They direct, not reflect.

Edited by adamntg

And every Aberdeen game should be behind closed doors for singing their Ibrox disaster ditty and the vile chants about Ian Durrant?

Or is it just the Of?

What about the sectarian singing at Edinburgh derbies? Put Hibs and Hearts behind closed doors too?

He's nay , he's spent

His house is up for rent

Jimmy Durrant

Jimmy Durrant

That the one ?

Always thought it a catchy little ditty

But SFA to do with little battles fought in Ireland

over 300 years back

Can't beat the mock outrage from the peepul

Most games at Ibrox are like a morgue so hardly the centre of rampant sectarianism singing Last Sunday was like a a bit of retro. Plenty of songs sang that should be taken to task. The club should come out and make a statement but in case you haven't noticed we are little bit dysfunctional at the moment. Having followed the club since 72 I can tell you that things have improved a lot over the last 40 odd years. The club is not sectarian, it does though have an element of bigoted fans that follow them but these people are in the margins. I do not equate 90 minutes of what happened last Sunday in terms of singing with evidence of institutional bigotry at Rangers. Most of these fans will go back to their mixed families, their RC friends, their RC work colleagues and get on with their lives in a perfectly non bigoted manner,.

As for the songs in the grey area then the signing about Ireland is fine by me as long as there is no reference to terrorist or bigoted insults.

Wow, it's Scottish society's fault now.

This is exactly why nothing will ever change because neither side will ever admit they have problems and then deal with those problems.

I can see my interest in the game here weining again if/when Mike Ashley's team make it back to the top.

To answer the op, police Scotland has 17k officers. So you would need every officer in Scotland arresting 2/3 people each to take on an OF crowd. It's just not Practical to attempt to take on my crowd when things aren't physically violent.

Re stopping games, there is enough aggro after an of game without antagonizing people further by stopi g it mid way through and calling it off.

Weeding people out afterwards seems the only solution, but haven't many cases based on CCTV fallen apart as are based on lip reading?

Both clubs have released what shouldn't be sung. Until fans respect that not much can be done

That's a cop out.

Cops could start lifting folk, others would take heed and stop

If it continues, games could be stopped. Or 3-0 losses handed out, or future games played behind closed doors.

There's plenty of punishments available, but the SFA aren't serious (or don't have the balls) to sort it out

The bampots being upset by his existence cause the bigotry?

I'm upset I didn't win the lottery tonight, doesn't mean I'll resort to singing about Fenians.

If you can't see the problem, you're part of it I'm afraid.

I've supported Aberdeen all my life. If the club started allowing bigotry to become part of the culture of the club, which it has at rangers, I wouldn't defend the club, or just say "ach, they're just morons, what can you do!" - I'd try and force my club to act.

Not sure if your twisting of my words is deliberate or because you're so stuck in your opinion.

So here's some simple bullet points for you.

1-There is no excuse for bigotry. None whatsoever.

2-I am not defending Rangers or the fans who sing the nasty songs. They are bigoted filth.

3-If you are serious about tackling bigotry then it has to be in all its forms including racism etc.

4-Focusing on one club will do not good. It gives the false impression that the "other side " are doing nothing wrong.

5-You and a lot of other folk on here seem intent on Rangers. They do have the worst element just now but are not the only ones. Wait till the Northern Ireland friendly. See what percentage off the TA boo when God Save the Queen comes on. There's an ugly anti-English element in the TA that appears to be accepted but is equivalent to bigotry or racism.

6-I'm not blaming Mike Ashley for any of the guff on show last weekend. I am merely observing that 3 years ago, after the first few games, the singing was tailing away. I think everyone assumed there be some at least at the OF game but the other games are now also infected. The rise in the singing seems to be directly linked to the fans disaffection for the board. It's not an excuse, it's an observation only.

Hopefully this makes it easier to understand but feel free to ask about anything you don't get.

That's a cop out.

Cops could start lifting folk, others would take heed and stop

If it continues, games could be stopped. Or 3-0 losses handed out, or future games played behind closed doors.

There's plenty of punishments available, but the SFA aren't serious (or don't have the balls) to sort it out

Finally we agree on something.

The cops are not doing their job properly.

Surely a couple of officers and a camera man could lift folk singing the songs and the film would be the evidence required along with the officers testimony?

Might be a bit simplistic but it would at least be something.

Closed doors games should be used too. Any trouble at games whether it's singing or fighting should be punished appropriately.

Not sure if your twisting of my words is deliberate or because you're so stuck in your opinion.

So here's some simple bullet points for you.

1-There is no excuse for bigotry. None whatsoever.

2-I am not defending Rangers or the fans who sing the nasty songs. They are bigoted filth.

3-If you are serious about tackling bigotry then it has to be in all its forms including racism etc.

4-Focusing on one club will do not good. It gives the false impression that the "other side " are doing nothing wrong.

5-You and a lot of other folk on here seem intent on Rangers. They do have the worst element just now but are not the only ones. Wait till the Northern Ireland friendly. See what percentage off the TA boo when God Save the Queen comes on. There's an ugly anti-English element in the TA that appears to be accepted but is equivalent to bigotry or racism.

6-I'm not blaming Mike Ashley for any of the guff on show last weekend. I am merely observing that 3 years ago, after the first few games, the singing was tailing away. I think everyone assumed there be some at least at the OF game but the other games are now also infected. The rise in the singing seems to be directly linked to the fans disaffection for the board. It's not an excuse, it's an observation only.

Hopefully this makes it easier to understand but feel free to ask about anything you don't get.

Agree with most of that........... but c'mon, I'm not having the booing of GSTQ as equivalent to bigotry or racism!

Jeez, sensitive souls in Aberdeen. Offended by posts on the tamb now! Are people actually offended by this singing or do they just want to get rangers and Celtic in trouble?....

I've heard a lot of songs being sung that I didn't like but I've never felt compelled to complain to the police for the sake of my own personal taste.

I don't really want to take my nephews to games where folk will be singing about being "up to their knees in Fenian blood".

Here's an idea, how about folk stop singing songs of hate. me.

Agree with most of that........... but c'mon, I'm not having the booing of GSTQ as equivalent to bigotry or racism!

Why not? Too close to home?

If calling us sweaty socks isnt allowed then the anti-English nonsense spewed by large numbers in the TA is just the same.

There can be no hypocrisy or we quite simply cannot sort out the sectarian crap.

Seriously, do you see nothing wrong with booing other countries anthems?

And every Aberdeen game should be behind closed doors for singing their Ibrox disaster ditty and the vile chants about Ian Durrant?

Or is it just the Of?

What about the sectarian singing at Edinburgh derbies? Put Hibs and Hearts behind closed doors too?

Interesting. Yourself and a few others seem confused about what's acceptable and what's not. Here's my guide:

Anything racist or sectarian - completely unacceptable, brings the game into severe disrepute and possibly illegal. Deserves the maximum sanction to drive it out.

Anything that celebrates death or injury in a football related setting (i.e. Munich Air Disaster, Ibrox Disaster etc) Unacceptable. Can be addressed within the game, for example clubs issue official statement condemning such songs and warning fans of consequences if there's a repeat. These warnings must be followed through however.

Songs claiming the opposition's supporters all sh@g sheep or that entire towns are illegitimate, unemployed or don't wash - fair game.

Interesting. Yourself and a few others seem confused about what's acceptable and what's not. Here's my guide:

Anything racist or sectarian - completely unacceptable, brings the game into severe disrepute and possibly illegal. Deserves the maximum sanction to drive it out.

Anything that celebrates death or injury in a football related setting (i.e. Munich Air Disaster, Ibrox Disaster etc) Unacceptable. Can be addressed within the game, for example clubs issue official statement condemning such songs and warning fans of consequences if there's a repeat. These warnings must be followed through however.

Songs claiming the opposition's supporters all sh@g sheep or that entire towns are illegitimate, unemployed or don't wash - fair game.

What about songs about child abuse?