Sectarian Singing - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sectarian Singing

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, they are, but using a broad brush approach to paint all supporters of a particular club in the same colour, and using offensive slurs to do so is also pretty despicable isn't it?

No, what I said was completely true and I have data to back up my assumptions .

@StewartMRegan: @weehairy @mrewanmurray What's your suggestion to address thousands of people chanting inappropriate songs then? Police cannot arrest them.

Easy, stop the game and threaten them with abondonment and a 3-0 defeat. Fkin gutless.

And right on cue .........

Bear in mind Aberdeen fans don't sing those songs every game they play in but you horrible inbred bigoted murdering wife beating kents do

They do sing those songs though and that is my point. You can't just whine about one set of fans "cos they're the wurst so they ur " and it suits your agenda. Everyone has to be treated the same.

Sadly too many people have blinkers on.

Your reply is interesting too. It shows your bias against Rangers and their fans. I have never sung those songs, never struck any woman ever, and I'm not a racist as my friends of multiple ethnicities shows. Oh and I'm an atheist, so I find religion a boring topic and don't discriminate based on that either. Basically I'm a normal guy.

You've assumed differently making you a bigot.

Just so it's clear I'd be happy for Rangers to be made to play behind closed doors for the sectarian pish but I'd expect others to be punished in exactly the same way for the same offence. Can you say the same?

Problem is the Scottish Govt have not listed what songs are offensive

That's a complete cop out!

Admittedly there are grey areas, which fans of both sides of the old firm are happy to exploit (as are other fans).

"We hate celtic, Fenian barstards"

"No Pope of Rome"

"The famine song"

"Upto our kness in Fenian blood"

"Who's the Fenian in the black"

Are not in that grey area.

Because some songs are in the grey area, doesn't make the bad ones ok, or mean we should just give up.

Actively discourage what's in the grey area, while taking decisive action on the black and white bigotry would be my course of action.

I'm not singling out Rangers, I just am more aware of their songs, and as I said 20 pages ago, I don't have a degree in irish political history to decipher what the celtic fans are singing about.

They are perhaps better at playing in the grey area?

Whereas there seemed a bit of a "fu(k it" type defiance to the Rangers support.

On a slight tangent.

The reaction to Kim Sears outburst at the Australian open seems to be one of mild amusement at the pretty, middle class girl letting out a few swearies at the Tennis.

If she shouted that at an SPFL game, she'd be getting a football banning order and charged under The Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act.

:lol:

On a slight tangent.

The reaction to Kim Sears outburst at the Australian open seems to be one of mild amusement at the pretty, middle class girl letting out a few swearies at the Tennis.

If she shouted that at an SPFL game, she'd be getting a football banning order and charged under The Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act.

:lol:

And this in my view is a huge part of the problem. I'm not making excuses for any bigoted or racist behaviour both of which are deplorable, but the general treatment and near criminalisation of football fans attending matches must have some bearing on their behaviour surely? Treat people like animals and they will behave as such. Like I say it's not excusing unacceptable behaviour but might go some way to explaining the lack of willingness to accept that their behaviour is unacceptable and needs to change.

This applies to all kinds of poor behaviour and not just sectarian.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

The Whataboutery by Rangers fans on here is quite frankly offensive in itself.

Jeez, sensitive souls in Aberdeen. Offended by posts on the tamb now! Are people actually offended by this singing or do they just want to get rangers and Celtic in trouble?....

I've heard a lot of songs being sung that I didn't like but I've never felt compelled to complain to the police for the sake of my own personal taste.

Edited by bruce778

Jeez, sensitive souls in Aberdeen. Offended by posts on the tamb now! Are people actually offended by this singing or do they just want to get rangers and Celtic in trouble?....

I've heard a lot of songs being sung that I didn't like but I've never felt compelled to complain to the police for the sake of my own personal taste.

Why not?

A topical and reasonable thread on Sectarianism is turned into an attack on something which is not sectarian and not prevalent. It was an attempt to smokescreen a bigger and more common issue.

There is supposed to be legislation and guidelines in place by the SFA/SPFL as well Police Scotland to deal with this but there seems to be a reluctance to use either.

These have presumably been brought in for a reason but seem pointless if only used very selectively. UEFA seem to have no problem bringing sanctions against clubs for racism so it should follow that the same can apply in Scotland.

Sectarianism is a blight on our society which seems to continue to hang around. Tackling Racism seems to be well ahead of the game when compared to Sectarianism.

I know some folk think just let anything go but surely we're past that?

I haven't personally complained either to the police either but that doesn't mean that efforts should not be made to tackle sectarianism in Scotland. All too often that sectarianism manifests itself at football.

Mate in your role as the ambassador for whataboutery you tried to equate 50 odd guys singing a distasteful song a couple of times donkeys ago to a 100+ years of ingrained bigotry.C'mon tae .......

Call it whataboutery all you like. That's the refuge of those with no actual argument.

100+ years is also just not accurate. Try googling for the truth, just don't trust Wikipedia.

And from personal experience it was quite a lot more than 50 guys at the games I attended. Maybe you as your teams apologist for their scum element can try the truth rather than your seemingly endless garbage.

I'm an Aberdeen fan, I'm not catholic, but I feel offended, and embarrassed by my compatriots singing songs about sending 'Fenians' 'home'

Call it whataboutery all you like. That's the refuge of those with no actual argument.

100+ years is also just not accurate. Try googling for the truth, just don't trust Wikipedia.

And from personal experience it was quite a lot more than 50 guys at the games I attended. Maybe you as your teams apologist for their scum element can try the truth rather than your seemingly endless garbage.

You don't half talk some amount of shite mate.

Edited by TartanJon

I'm an Aberdeen fan, I'm not catholic, but I feel offended, and embarrassed by my compatriots singing songs about sending 'Fenians' 'home'

Where do you draw the line? Can we agree that monkey noises and bananas are beyond the pale, aye? Or is everything, sectarian, racist or whatever ok?

That's a complete cop out!

Admittedly there are grey areas, which fans of both sides of the old firm are happy to exploit (as are other fans).

"We hate celtic, Fenian barstards"

"No Pope of Rome"

"The famine song"

"Upto our kness in Fenian blood"

"Who's the Fenian in the black"

Are not in that grey area.

Because some songs are in the grey area, doesn't make the bad ones ok, or mean we should just give up.

Actively discourage what's in the grey area, while taking decisive action on the black and white bigotry would be my course of action.

I'm not singling out Rangers, I just am more aware of their songs, and as I said 20 pages ago, I don't have a degree in irish political history to decipher what the celtic fans are singing about.

They are perhaps better at playing in the grey area?

Whereas there seemed a bit of a "fu(k it" type defiance to the Rangers support.

you are not singling rangers fans out aye right then! ya fecking joke!

Rangers are only being singled out because they are far and away the worst offenders and deserve to be singled out. If we keep pretending that other teams are as bad nothing will change.

Rangers are the problem.

Rangers are not the problem (for a change!) it's Scottish society. Rangers do however seem to have the majority of the singing mentals following them though.

The current situation with the Board and Mike Ashley seems to be exacerbating the situation.

I had hoped this whole "journey" up the divisions would allow us to leave some of the knuckledraggers behind but it's gone the other way instead.

Rangers are only being singled out because they are far and away the worst offenders and deserve to be singled out. If we keep pretending that other teams are as bad nothing will change.

Rangers are the problem.

what i have never been able to understand is that if it is just a minority singing the vile sectarian nonsense, why the decent Rangers fans don't just drown out the noise with acceptable Rangers songs?

Funny, I was thinking the same about you.

I didn't say it though as again, it's the retort of someone with no rational argument.

It's been proven on here you talk pure shite.You made a complete kent of yourself the other day on a another thread and have the brass neck to still come back on posting .FYR I'm not debating with a feckin idiot.

what i have never been able to understand is that if it is just a minority singing the vile sectarian nonsense, why the decent Rangers fans don't just drown out the noise with acceptable Rangers songs?

Personally, I don't understand why decent people support Rangers. Rangers ARE sectarian, it's not an adjunct, it's the reason the club is and it's been their lifeblood ever since Celtic came along.

This Rangers is the same club as the old Rangers. Same values, same triumphalism, same small minded bigotry. Why support them, unless you're into waving Union Jacks and hating Catholics? There are plenty of other, less toxic football clubs.

Just my opinion, I just don't get it.

Personally, I don't understand why decent people support Rangers. Rangers ARE sectarian, it's not an adjunct, it's the reason the club is and it's been their lifeblood ever since Celtic came along.

This Rangers is the same club as the old Rangers. Same values, same triumphalism, same small minded bigotry. Why support them, unless you're into waving Union Jacks and hating Catholics? There are plenty of other, less toxic football clubs.

Just my opinion, I just don't get it.

I've raised this before Adam. I don't get it how there are obviously decent guys on this board but also decent people everywhere that support rangers, and yet the club is a perpetual source of vile hatred and sectarianism. The excuse\ reason I am given is that "I have always supported rangers and they are my club"... " oh and by the way I don't like all that stuff". As I say I don't get it.

It's been proven on here you talk pure shite.You made a complete kent of yourself the other day on a another thread and have the brass neck to still come back on posting .FYR I'm not debating with a feckin idiot.

I made a mistake and I should stop posting? I think we can all see who's the idiot.

We weren't debating because you hadn't backed up any of your stupid assertions. ?