'coloured People' - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

'coloured People'

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Cape Town they have a kind of music festival by the "minstrels " - aye like 1000 odd folk

called the Cape Town Koons, who are mainly if not exclusively coloured

Aye, I believe its a New Years Day tradition, or possibly the 2nd? Traditionally that was the only day off that slaves had all year - and to celebrate they held a parade of music and dancing - and making fun of their masters. In order to not get recognised they would 'black up' (even though they were black!) to disguise themselves.

Halle Berry spoke of "women of colour" in her Oscar acceptance speech.

The blackboard thing is nonsense. As another poster says, they simply don't exist anymore.

The daft thing was Ben Cumberbatch was speaking out against the fact that a white lad and a black lad cannot audition for the same part the vast majority of the time.

J

I read this as well. It's probably my lack of contact with 'black' people that leads to me still being ignorant of the potentially offensive nature of the word 'coloured'. The BBC article refers to the term being in common usage until the 1970's. I would go further than that. In the 1980's and 90's, I am fairly sure that using 'coloured' to describe 'black' people was still the 'correct' term. I am now 47, and I can't help feel that 'black' is actually the offensive term ! Again, looks like my ignorance of the issues.

I agree with this (and I am aged 46 ) - I grew up in a multi-culturally diverse inner city area near Glasgow city centre and the Pakistani/Indian kids preferred the term 'coloured' to 'black' when I was about 8-12 years old - it changed in the teens around the start of the '80's to 'black' and can remember vividly the bone crunching football games which we termed the blacks v the honky basteds ...different time different place I suppose and we all got on fine.

On recollection don't know if the terminology had something to do with Alf Garnett's show whatever it was called - and the black & white minstrel show ffs!

I remember growing up and thinking nothing of using the words darkie or chinky, nor did you get much outrage and reaction like you get nowadays. I also remember Abel Xavier was once described as looking like a pint of Guinness by Steve Bruce on the telly. Imagine the outrage if he said that now?

People are to quick to get on their high horse and over sensitive about being PC it's got completely out of control and like living in a nanny state.

Edited by PaulS2014

I remember growing up and thinking nothing of using the words darkie or chinky, nor did you get much outrage and reaction like you get nowadays. I also remember Abel Xavier was once described as looking like a pint of Guinness by Steve Bruce on the telly. Imagine the outrage if he said that now?

People are to quick to get on their high horse and over sensitive about being PC it's got completely out of control and like living in a nanny state.

Agree, too many people jumping on PC brigade bandwagon. I have been called Jock, Scotty, Sweaty, haggis muncher etc and never taken offence.

What I find particularly horrifying about that system of naming people on their degree of interbred 'negro' is that it is a reducing fraction system that presumably just keeps going... "Have you met James, he's 512th negro...Oh really my cousin Sue is 2048th darkie..."

This is known as the art-physics paradox and has resulted in many a punch up in the staff room.

Physics teacher says: White light consist of all the colours of the rainbow. Something that appears white therefore is reflecting all the different colours / wavelengths of light, but something that is red only or mostly reflects the red light. Something which appears black is absorbing all of it (so how do we see it then, should it not be a black hole?)

Art Teacher says: White cannot be mixed in the paintbox, you have to go buy it in a shop. You can however create black by mixing together ALL the colours! So off with your white is all the colours pish.

It's mad. Who is right? No one knows to this day.

I get what your saying Thplinthy, and the paint versus photon absorption thing has always bothered me, but I've always ended up with brown in the paint box mash up myself. Black?!?!

An art teacher told us never to use white or black btw. Nope don't think they were racist either. Maybe colourist? :whistling:

- - - -

Anyway drawing a line under that. I cannot believe the TA is devoid of authoritative opinion on this subject... apart from Brant of course :D