'coloured People' - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

'coloured People'

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm mid 40s and would agree with this Jen. In 80s I was always taught that you referred to black people as coloured and black was the offensive term. My wife just confirmed exact same, said black was very offensive when she was a teen.

When i was growing up, in Ayrshire it was very common for the word 'black' to be used colloquially to describe something as dirty, or clatty. There was never any connection with race or ethnicity when it was used, it was just an alternative term you'd apply to anything or anyone.

Was this was the case in the rest of Scotland? If so, maybe that had something to do with it?

When i was growing up, in Ayrshire it was very common for the word 'black' to be used colloquially to describe something as dirty, or clatty. There was never any connection with race or ethnicity when it was used, it was just an alternative term you'd apply to anything or anyone.

Was this was the case in the rest of Scotland? If so, maybe that had something to do with it?

It's the same in Lanarkshire. Maybe a term in reference to the miners after a shift?

It wasn't uncommon to refer to a mate as a black b*****d if he was a bit honkin'

Edited by BremnerLorimerGray

Having never racially abused anyone, I wouldn't call anyone either of the above :lol:

I've always considered "coloured" an offensive term though.

So which word would you use?

I've personally never liked the term 'coloured' but I hate hypocrisy and I like this politically correct bullshit even less.

Give the guy a break. People are tripping over themselves playing catchup to whatever new set of social rules are out this week.

Whoever is offended by shite like this should maybe be equally offended by everyone who uses such terms; black people especially. The same goes for every outdated phrase or slur against every race, religion or group until language itself is outlawed.

Or we could just get over ourselves...

Spot on!!

It's also not true, in my experience.

I doubt many schools even have blackboards nowadays, whiteboards are the norm now.

I'm pretty sure this is drivel from the Mail which also claimed "Looney left" councils were banning "Baa baa black sheep" etc

Actually it was true for East Ren at least. Chalkboard was to be used. And bah bah black sheep was to be changed to little sheep. Christmas lights were to be festive lights or something like that too.

There's an attendant evolving baggage with which ever wording you opt for.

Current PC language will wind up being pejorative within 20 years.

Not that there's any thing wrong with any PC language.

But take the phrase "colored retard"; and many posters on here would take offense at the r-word but would let "colored" slide.

The irony of course being that 93 out of 100 Scottish proper retards aren't actually offended when people call them "retarded" because they don't "get" the downside of them being useless and aye shiting their pants and having big thick mongo skulls that constantly leak saliva.

But is it a "coloured" or a "black"?

Us Jock Tamsons bairns huvnae got a scooby given there's less than 10k Black people in Scotland, so should we ever have meet one we go "aye, I love you coloreds" like it was a casting session for "Local Hero" in 1982.

Nigel-Quashie-scot-1-vass.jpg

Exactly this. The miners thing appears to be true as well. IIRC it was discussed at length on another thread a couple of years ago reference the black=dirty thing in Ayrshire/Lanarkshire etc.

I was in Vancouver in the mid 90s and was in a coffee shop with my cousins. Both them and the barista were shocked then amused when I asked for a black coffee.

Exactly this. The miners thing appears to be true as well. IIRC it was discussed at length on another thread a couple of years ago reference the black=dirty thing in Ayrshire/Lanarkshire etc.

I was in Vancouver in the mid 90s and was in a coffee shop with my cousins. Both them and the barista were shocked then amused when I asked for a black coffee.

when i grew up the ice cream van sold black men :shocked:

This is known as the art-physics paradox and has resulted in many a punch up in the staff room.

Physics teacher says: White light consist of all the colours of the rainbow. Something that appears white therefore is reflecting all the different colours / wavelengths of light, but something that is red only or mostly reflects the red light. Something which appears black is absorbing all of it (so how do we see it then, should it not be a black hole?)

Art Teacher says: White cannot be mixed in the paintbox, you have to go buy it in a shop. You can however create black by mixing together ALL the colours! So off with your white is all the colours pish.

It's mad. Who is right? No one knows to this day.

Yep, as a kid in the 80's, I remember my dad having this welder working for him who everyone just called Black Bob because he was just constantly covered in dust/dirt.

Guy Gibson I believe

They re made the film dam busters

And renamed the dog digger

Even though it wad historically inaccurate

Edited because title of video was very offensive!

Google "dambusters dog" and it will come up

From a more naive time...

Edited by Goozay

Killie fans still use it to describe there unhigenic neighbours Ayr. Think scumerset park is held together by the dirt

I always used it with the same meaning, like 'black boab' describing the persons personal hygiene or lack of it. When I moved to London I had to stop using it as when I did people thought I was being racist and I had to keep explaining. I have to say I always used the term coloured when describing black people until moving down here.

I remember Alan Hansen using it and Garth Crooks getting the serious hump.