'coloured People' - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

'coloured People'

"David Cameron never mentions it, but the Conservative Party won a by-election in Birmingham, and they sent out little kids with leaflets that said, 'If you want a nigger for a neighbour, vote Liberal or Labour.' And if political correctness has achieved one thing, it's to make the Conservative Party cloak its inherent racism behind more creative language."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coloured was definitely in use when I was growing up. I reckon the fact it just lumps all 'non-whites' together into one homogeneous group is what makes it offensive.

I wonder if anyone gets called a 'hexadecaroon ' anymore.

I always thought a "hexadecaroon" was a six sided delicious coconut biscuit, what with that and donny telling me not to get stressed with yanks using "z" the TAMB clearly is a fountain of knowledge !!!

Coloured was definitely in use when I was growing up. I reckon the fact it just lumps all 'non-whites' together into one homogeneous group is what makes it offensive.

I wonder if anyone gets called a 'hexadecaroon ' anymore.

I think what makes it offensive is that it implies white (also a colour) is the norm and anyone not white is therefore coloured i.e. different. Could be wrong though.

Never called anyone a hexadecaroon but have called Andrew Considine "dodecahedron heid" - due to his apparent lack of ability to head the ball straight.

I've never used the term "coloured" in my puff. It's right up there with "darky", in my book.

I recall many occasions where a person would say " the bla........I mean coloured player" as a way of correcting themselves as not to offend. I did not realise coloured was offensive until recently.

then again I grew up in an age when we used blackboards in school........banning use of the word black in that context is ridiculous beyond belief

then again I grew up in an age when we used blackboards in school........banning use of the word black in that context is ridiculous beyond belief

It's also not true, in my experience.

I doubt many schools even have blackboards nowadays, whiteboards are the norm now.

I think what makes it offensive ....

Isn't this part of the problem?? Linguistically people don't even know what to be offended by. There are many other terms which could have been used rather than this particular turn of phrase if offence was intended.

The insane part of this is that he was highlighting the issue of black colleagues of his finding it difficult to find particular types of roles. This is where the real problem of racism lies, so rather than assisting in shedding some light on this, people are now berating the man for failing to keep up with what the liberal elite have decided is currently a suitable term.

I recall many occasions where a person would say " the bla........I mean coloured player" as a way of correcting themselves as not to offend. I did not realise coloured was offensive until recently.

Agreed, it was blackboards when I was at Primary school(1984-91)...Pathetic that mostly white people were the ones who deemed this term offensive...Fvcking 'No' voters, no doubt.

Agreed, it was blackboards when I was at Primary school(1984-91)...Pathetic that mostly white people were the ones who deemed this term offensive...blinking 'No' voters, no doubt.

I think this is often a bit of a Mail-esque urban myth. I'm sure the odd council or headteacher might have banned it but they are/were few & far between. I think the main reason they stopped using the term blackboard was because they weren't black any more...all flashy, white, internet enabled, smart-pen driven gizmos these days.

I read this as well. It's probably my lack of contact with 'black' people that leads to me still being ignorant of the potentially offensive nature of the word 'coloured'. The BBC article refers to the term being in common usage until the 1970's. I would go further than that. In the 1980's and 90's, I am fairly sure that using 'coloured' to describe 'black' people was still the 'correct' term. I am now 47, and I can't help feel that 'black' is actually the offensive term ! Again, looks like my ignorance of the issues.

Notice as well that the actor boy using the term would be 'coloured' as opposed to 'colored' - the US term, and he was giving the interview in the US media. Right enough, historically, you can see evidence of a time when signs would read 'no coloreds' so understand now the reason it's the way it is over there.

Thing is, who decides what terms are ok or not ?

I'm with you - coloured was definitely the preferred term when I was going up. I still cringe using the word 'black' when referring to someone because it was drummed into me that it was the wrong thing to say.

I think this is often a bit of a Mail-esque urban myth. I'm sure the odd council or headteacher might have banned it but they are/were few & far between. I think the main reason they stopped using the term blackboard was because they weren't black any more...all flashy, white, internet enabled, smart-pen driven gizmos these days.

I'm pretty sure this is drivel from the Mail which also claimed "Looney left" councils were banning "Baa baa black sheep" etc

ok to screw with your minds (this is South Africa remember )

I know coloured folk who take it as an insult at being called black

also have heard coloured folk speaking about "darkies"

coloured is term i hear used daily (although this could even cover indian, malysian and even chinese descent )

"David Cameron never mentions it, but the Conservative Party won a by-election in Birmingham, and they sent out little kids with leaflets that said, 'If you want a nigger for a neighbour, vote Liberal or Labour.' And if political correctness has achieved one thing, it's to make the Conservative Party cloak its inherent racism behind more creative language."

Stewart Lee :)

ok to screw with your minds (this is South Africa remember )

I know coloured folk who take it as an insult at being called black

also have heard coloured folk speaking about "darkies"

coloured is term i hear used daily (although this could even cover indian, malysian and even chinese descent )

And white folk.

I'm with you - coloured was definitely the preferred term when I was going up. I still cringe using the word 'black' when referring to someone because it was drummed into me that it was the wrong thing to say.

I'm mid 40s and would agree with this Jen. In 80s I was always taught that you referred to black people as coloured and black was the offensive term. My wife just confirmed exact same, said black was very offensive when she was a teen.