'coloured People' - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

'coloured People'

I see Benedict Cumbersnatch has had to apologise for using the term 'coloured' when talking about the lack of diversity in the film industry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31001027

Must say, I didn't realise the term was deemed to be so offensive, but apparently it is, particularly in the states

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30999175

What should he have said? Black actors?!

Even the American national body aiming to secure equal rights is called NAACP (National Association for the advancement of Coloured People)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this as well. It's probably my lack of contact with 'black' people that leads to me still being ignorant of the potentially offensive nature of the word 'coloured'. The BBC article refers to the term being in common usage until the 1970's. I would go further than that. In the 1980's and 90's, I am fairly sure that using 'coloured' to describe 'black' people was still the 'correct' term. I am now 47, and I can't help feel that 'black' is actually the offensive term ! Again, looks like my ignorance of the issues.

Notice as well that the actor boy using the term would be 'coloured' as opposed to 'colored' - the US term, and he was giving the interview in the US media. Right enough, historically, you can see evidence of a time when signs would read 'no coloreds' so understand now the reason it's the way it is over there.

Thing is, who decides what terms are ok or not ?

The Guardian has typically being going over the score about this, with some totally ridiculous articles. Most missing the point that he was actually commenting about the lack of acting opportunities for those who are not white ( hope this is not deemed offensive)

According to this woman the correct title is "people of colour" - whatever that is

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/27/benedict-cumberbatch-apology-coloured-people

I've never used the term "coloured" in my puff. It's right up there with "darky", in my book.

I'm 36 and don't remember a time when 'coloured' was acceptable.

I'm showing my ignorance then. Not that I ever use the term (can't think of a time when I'd be speaking generally about groupings of black people), but I thought 'coloured' was acceptable. Glad to find out that i'm wrong before I used the term incorrectly.

I certainly didn't see it as an insult. So are you both saying the correct term would just be 'black'?

And, again, showing my ignorance, why would the NAACP have the term in their name? Rather than NAABP?!

I don't recall 'coloured' being in common usage here in the past - only really heard it watching American TV programmes. 'Darky', however, was used all of the time and ever since that term was accepted as being offensive, some people (my parents included) have used 'coloured' instead - mistakenly believing it to be PC.

It's quite possible 'black' could be deemed offensive in the near future - isn't it already so in the US?

I only knew it wasn't the correct term as someone in football (I thought it was Souness?) caused a stir by using it.

Like others I didn't realise it was offensive, before then.

I think context is far more important than the choice of word, although obviously knowing it may be offensive I wouldn't now choose that word.

It's slightly ironic the guys getting a hard time considering the context, but it's a poor choice of word, and you deserve a hard time if you're calked Benedict Cumberbatch!

I only knew it wasn't the correct term as someone in football (I thought it was Souness?) caused a stir by using it.

Like others I didn't realise it was offensive, before then.

I think context is far more important than the choice of word, although obviously knowing it may be offensive I wouldn't now choose that word.

It's slightly ironic the guys getting a hard time considering the context, but it's a poor choice of word, and you deserve a hard time if you're calked Benedict Cumberbatch!

Think it was Hansen.

I've never used the term "coloured" in my puff. It's right up there with "darky", in my book.

As someone pointed out it might be out of favour but if you were looking to insult someone you certainly wouldnt call them "coloured" so it might be out of fashion but I doubt it was ever used in an offensive way

As someone pointed out it might be out of favour but if you were looking to insult someone you certainly wouldnt call them "coloured" so it might be out of fashion but I doubt it was ever used in an offensive way

Having never racially abused anyone, I wouldn't call anyone either of the above :lol:

I've always considered "coloured" an offensive term though.

Having never racially abused anyone, I wouldn't call anyone either of the above :lol:

I've always considered "coloured" an offensive term though.

Try an use it in an offensive way,, a racial abuser :-) would call someone a Black xxxxxx but a coloured xxxxx !! I dont see it. It was just a word that was acceptable and now isnt, another that springs to mind would be half-caste which presumably was originally used for mixed caste indians and migrated across to mean people of mixed race not necessarily meant to be offensive, just words of their time.

I've personally never liked the term 'coloured' but I hate hypocrisy and I like this politically correct bullshit even less.

Give the guy a break. People are tripping over themselves playing catchup to whatever new set of social rules are out this week.

Whoever is offended by shite like this should maybe be equally offended by everyone who uses such terms; black people especially. The same goes for every outdated phrase or slur against every race, religion or group until language itself is outlawed.

Or we could just get over ourselves...

I've personally never liked the term 'coloured' but I hate hypocrisy and I like this politically correct bullshit even less.

Give the guy a break. People are tripping over themselves playing catchup to whatever new set of social rules are out this week.

Whoever is offended by shite like this should maybe be equally offended by everyone who uses such terms; black people especially. The same goes for every outdated phrase or slur against every race, religion or group until language itself is outlawed.

Or we could just get over ourselves...

Sums it up nicely ....

Colonial racial categories[edit]

During colonial times the local population unofficially described different mixtures resulting from the union of Black African people with people of other ethnic origins as:

• Mulatto: Black and White parents.
  • Morisco: Mulatto and White parents, although in the early phase of Spanish colonization the term "morisco" also denoted a Muslim who had converted to Catholicism.
  • Albino: Morisco and White parents.
  • Quadroon: one-quarter Black ancestry/three-quarter White ancestry.
  • Octoroon: one-eighth Black ancestry/seven-eighth White ancestry.
  • Tercerón: White/Mulatto mixed, an octoroon.
  • Quinterón: fifth-generation Black ancestry/one parent who is an octoroon and one White parent.
  • Hexadecaroon: sixth-generation Black ancestry.
  • Zambo: Black/Amerindian mixed.
  • Zambo Prieto: Black/Amerindian mixed with predominant Black.

Socially, ancestors in one of these categories were a stain in the family tree. These classifications, and others common in the colonial culture such as "mestizo" or cholo, were used to stigmatize people and prevent their social advancement. In some cases, well-known historical personalities were found in this situation; figures such as Bernardo de Monteagudo and Bernardino Rivadavia, were described as "mulatto".

Coloured was definitely in use when I was growing up. I reckon the fact it just lumps all 'non-whites' together into one homogeneous group is what makes it offensive.

I wonder if anyone gets called a 'hexadecaroon ' anymore.

Coloured was definitely in use when I was growing up. I reckon the fact it just lumps all 'non-whites' together into one homogeneous group is what makes it offensive.

Aye, I can see that actually.

However, BC was talking specifically about the lack of diversity in UK films, i.e. everybody is white. So he is talking about the lack of non-white people - difficult (for me and my wee brain!) to see what other term he could/should have used.

I certainly don't think it would have went down well if had said "the lack of non-white actors"! And rightly so.

He should have phrased his sentence better, but I don't think he was being racist?

Edited by Maq

Thought this would turn into a multi pager with the PC brigade on here, people need to chill out,dont think i have ever heard any complaints from Caucasian people being referered to "white boy"

Have you ever heard the phrase "white boy" being used?! :blink:

Thought this would turn into a multi pager with the PC brigade on here, people need to chill out,dont think i have ever heard any complaints from Caucasian people being referered to "white boy"

Have you ever been in a situation where you're in an ethnic minority and been called a "white boy"?

Nah, thought not.

White people haven't been persecuted or discriminated against to the same extent though.

I reckon that makes a difference

Edited by ParisInAKilt