Rangers Vs Celtic League Cup Semi-Final - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers Vs Celtic League Cup Semi-Final

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly who gives a shit.2 absolutely abysmal teams who will play out shocking game of football against a backdrop of violence and aggravation.haven't missed this fixture and wouldn't in the future.

*Lights touch paper, stands back*

"The Rangers Supporters Trust wishes to express its concern at what we consider to be a clear attempt by some online elements of the Celtic support to incite trouble ahead of an Old Firm game which already has the potential to be a powder keg fixture.

We, along with the vast majority of the Rangers support, noted with some amusement the recent advert taken out by Celtic supporters in a once respected Sunday newspaper. However, what has followed makes us considerably more uneasy. There is now no question that a hardcore element of the Celtic support are not content with the troubles which have plagued our club over the past few years. For them, Rangers Football Club, and by extension its fans, must cease to exist.

Whether this stems from an inferiority complex amongst part of a generation who had to live through Nine-In-A Row, or whether it is down to a more ingrained bigotry, a fierce football rivalry is not sufficient for these people. We are extremely concerned that the rhetoric and hatred spewed out by the likes of Phil MacGiollabhain, Angela Haggerty, Paul Brennans CQN website and others, is a deliberate attempt to try to stoke sectarian fires and incite violence at the upcoming fixture.

One need only view the reaction of some Celtic fans to the recent blog by MacGiollabhain entitled The Fenian Blood Festival to see how these people operate. MacGiollabhain himself has never challenged the assertion that he is tarred with a sickening sectarian brush and he has willing servants in Miss Haggerty, CQN and several other online Celtic sites. We urge all sane Celtic fans to ignore their bile.

We hope the upcoming fixture will be fiercely contested. We hope, despite being clear underdogs, that Rangers will win. We also hope that fans of both teams will be able to travel to and watch the match safely. We hope that Police Scotland, as well as policing the day effectively, will take careful note of those who continue to try to incite violence at the upcoming fixture. It would be an odd legal system that arrested people for singing songs but ignored hate speech and incitement of violence. Should the worst happen, we hope the full force of the law will be brought to bear not only on the perpetrators of any trouble but also those who encourage it online.

Rangers and our fans have many challenges to face in the months and years ahead. Challenges which are considerably more important to our long term future than this upcoming Old Firm game. We urge Rangers fans to stay safe, behave in a way which can make us all proud of our club and enjoy their day."

Rangers fans lecturing on bigotry? Seriously?

Celtic statement was a joke but instead of ignoring it, Rangers release their own?

Odd lot old firm fans.

Rangers fans lecturing on bigotry? Seriously?

Celtic statement was a joke but instead of ignoring it, Rangers release their own?

Odd lot old firm fans.

To be fair I don't really think the statement is in relation to the advert more the constant stream of pish coming from Phil and Haggerty. Does till smack of hypocrisy though.

To be fair I don't really think the statement is in relation to the advert more the constant stream of pish coming from Phil and Haggerty. Does till smack of hypocrisy though.

I've managed to live my whole life without reading one Phil Mac ghoblin (I know that's spelt wrong) article and don't even know who this Heggarty guy is.

They're non-entities, so why pay any attention to them?

I've managed to live my whole life without reading one Phil Mac ghoblin (I know that's spelt wrong) article and don't even know who this Heggarty guy is.

They're non-entities, so why pay any attention to them?

In theory I agree but there does come a point where something needs to be said. Phil is just an obsessed weirdo (regardless of the veracity of what he's saying) but Haggerty in particular (a "she" by the way) is a right nasty piece of work.

In theory I agree but there does come a point where something needs to be said. Phil is just an obsessed weirdo (regardless of the veracity of what he's saying) but Haggerty in particular (a "she" by the way) is a right nasty piece of work.

But who are they?

Are they just online bloggers?

Who cares what they say?

If it was stuff being said about Rangers in the msm that they felt was wrong or unfair, I'd understand, but if it's just Internet bampots, who cares?

There is a bit of irony in the article talking about websites full of hate! I presume the author has never been on Rangers media?

:lol:

But who are they?

Are they just online bloggers?

Who cares what they say?

If it was stuff being said about Rangers in the msm that they felt was wrong or unfair, I'd understand, but if it's just Internet bampots, who cares?

There is a bit of irony in the article talking about websites full of hate! I presume the author has never been on Rangers media?

:lol:

If the author is who I think it is then he's quite critical of RM.

If they're preaching hate then I'd have thought formal complaints to the police would be more effective. Rather than releasing a statement.