Rangers Vs Celtic League Cup Semi-Final - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers Vs Celtic League Cup Semi-Final

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll need to agree to disagree. Rangers have a squad of Premiership players - unfortunately for Rangers their output is less than the sum of their parts. Celtic are a poor side with a large squad of mediocrities - managed by a dud (although I quite like Deila). If Celtic hump Rangers I'll hold my hands up, but I can't see it happening.

All fair enough. I think many people focus too much on the reputation of both the club and the players, as opposed to actually basing views on the performances they give week in week out. They are, quite frankly, shite. That said they have gubbed a couple of premiership teams already this season so maybe at least some of the players have enough professionalism to raise their game for this match. As I mentioned before 7-1 should be tempting, but I just can't see Celtic being so bad as to lose to this Rangers side.

According to the SNP MSP John Mason this is a fixture all of Scotland will be proud of, he even wasted parliamentary time by raising a motion.

Seb Coe.

What a total dobber.

Kenny McDowall reckons the return of the OF game is good for Scottish football.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31032460

I don't, however it might be an idea to come up with a list of things it IS good for. Here are some to start with

Scottish football journalists

Domestic violence

Police overtime

TAMB advertising costs.

*Lights touch paper, stands back*

"The Rangers Supporters Trust wishes to express its concern at what we consider to be a clear attempt by some online elements of the Celtic support to incite trouble ahead of an Old Firm game which already has the potential to be a powder keg fixture.

We, along with the vast majority of the Rangers support, noted with some amusement the recent advert taken out by Celtic supporters in a once respected Sunday newspaper. However, what has followed makes us considerably more uneasy. There is now no question that a hardcore element of the Celtic support are not content with the troubles which have plagued our club over the past few years. For them, Rangers Football Club, and by extension its fans, must cease to exist.

Whether this stems from an inferiority complex amongst part of a generation who had to live through Nine-In-A Row, or whether it is down to a more ingrained bigotry, a fierce football rivalry is not sufficient for these people. We are extremely concerned that the rhetoric and hatred spewed out by the likes of Phil MacGiollabhain, Angela Haggerty, Paul Brennan’s CQN website and others, is a deliberate attempt to try to stoke sectarian fires and incite violence at the upcoming fixture.

One need only view the reaction of some Celtic fans to the recent blog by MacGiollabhain entitled “The Fenian Blood Festival” to see how these people operate. MacGiollabhain himself has never challenged the assertion that he is “tarred with a sickening sectarian brush” and he has willing servants in Miss Haggerty, CQN and several other online Celtic sites. We urge all sane Celtic fans to ignore their bile.

We hope the upcoming fixture will be fiercely contested. We hope, despite being clear underdogs, that Rangers will win. We also hope that fans of both teams will be able to travel to and watch the match safely. We hope that Police Scotland, as well as policing the day effectively, will take careful note of those who continue to try to incite violence at the upcoming fixture. It would be an odd legal system that arrested people for singing songs but ignored hate speech and incitement of violence. Should the worst happen, we hope the full force of the law will be brought to bear not only on the perpetrators of any trouble but also those who encourage it online.

Rangers and our fans have many challenges to face in the months and years ahead. Challenges which are considerably more important to our long term future than this upcoming Old Firm game. We urge Rangers fans to stay safe, behave in a way which can make us all proud of our club and enjoy their day."

To be fair, there's not a lot wrong with that Rangers fans statement, in my humble opinion...

It's an attempt to get their defence in first, before their fans hurl sectarian abuse and assault anything that moves on sunday.

It's an attempt to get their defence in first, before their fans hurl sectarian abuse and assault anything that moves on sunday.

Aye, probably!

But the statement itself, I think, is fine?

Don't really see the news for each set of fans to release 'official' statements, but hey ho

Aye, probably!

But the statement itself, I think, is fine?

Don't really see the news for each set of fans to release 'official' statements, but hey ho

I think the statement is as much a wind-up as the Celtic one the other day.

"Inferiority complex", insinuating that some Celtic fans are insane, "nine-in-a-row".

They then accuse folk of being bigots, before going on to do a piece of pre-emptive whataboutery about themselves singing bigoted songs on Sunday.

Odd comment.

It's a much better statement than the weird "you don't exist" paranoid ramblings in the Herald ad, is it not?

It actually asks all Rangers fans to behave. Good idea in my opinion.

And yet another sweeping generalisation that we are all hooligans. You and your ilk are the biggest problem on this board. Unable or unwilling to see anything other than black or white.

Edited by RenfrewBlue

Odd comment.

It's a much better statement than the weird "you don't exist" paranoid ramblings in the Herald ad, is it not?

It actually asks all Rangers fans to behave. Good idea in my opinion.

And yet another sweeping generalisation that we are all hooligans. You and your ilk are the biggest problem on this board. Unable or unwilling to see anything other than black or white.

I never made any generalisation that all Rangers fans are hooligans.

I'm pretty certain of two things that'll happen on Sunday:

1. Rangers fans (not all but many) will sign bigoted songs.

2. Rangers fans (some, not all) will assault Celtic fans.

If either of the above don't happen, i'll applaud Rangers fans for uncharacteristic good behaviour.

I'm willing to see anything, you just don't like that I draw non-favourable conclusions towards your bigoted club and it's fans.

Can't see past a 3 or 4 goal win for Celtic.

Ideally I'd like to see a 6-0 win or a controversial last minute 1-0 Rangers win.

Purely for seethe value.

Exactly my train of thought. A big win for Celtic or a win for Rangers. Either one would be a chuckle.

Really looking forward to it.