"prospects" That Never Quite Made It. - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"prospects" That Never Quite Made It.

JagDude

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbie Foy, youngster at Liverpool must be up there.

Mark Burchill, he was raved up, but turned out to be very average.

Michael Stewart could get a mention.

Burchills cruciate ligament after he signed for Portsmouth knackered him.

I think this list should only really include youngsters tipped for the top who never got there. Granted players like Riordan and O'Connor suffered massive falls from grace but they do have Scotland caps as do Durrant, Jess, Forrest and a few others mentioned here so they all did briefly make it (so to speak). I think this list should only really include players touted for great things but never represented Scotland at full level to any great degree. In that list in recent times I'd put:-

Robbie Foy

John Fleck

Stephen Smith

Andrew Driver

Ross Turnbull

Michael Stewart

Fraser Fyvie

Michael Stewart has Scotland caps.

Going further back, Britain's first £100,000 teenage player Tommy Craig when he moved form Aberdeen to Sheffield Wednesday in the late 60's. His only cap came in the 70's when he was with Aston Villa. Perhaps Ian Wallace £1 million pound player from Coventry to Nottingham Forest in the 70's and only a handful of caps . . but he really was mince.

Certainly was not mince. We had a lot of competition for places then, around half a dozen in the English Div. 1.

Certainly was not mince. We had a lot of competition for places then, around half a dozen in the English Div. 1.

Funny enough I wrote a whole article about that for the #2 of Scotland Epistles, Bullshit & Thistles which comes out in early February based on the 78-79 season football cards and the Scots in the English First Division particularly those that never got a cap including twice European Cup Winning Captain John McGovern.

the ultimate in terms of to what extent they were hyped versus what they ended up doing in the game has to be either eoin jess or john fleck. in fairness to fleck we can only judge him after his career is over.

so jess it is.

had a decent career with aberdeen, coventry, nott forest, bradford and northampton.

but who can forget the hype around the late 80s/ early 90s. the best thing since dalglish was the cry if i remember and some on his performances particularly against rangers were sublime, even as late as when gazza was there (league cup semi as i recall around 95). the skill and vision he showed in his early 20s was of someone beyond his years. should he have moved to serie A when given the chance? probably.

if he had continued his progress from a youngster then he should have 70 - 80 caps. seem to recall him making an early appearance for scotland against italy at home (the nil-all draw with alan mclaren marking the best player in europe out of the game), he played well and nearly 'won' a penalty towards then end.

but he simply did not get close to hitting the heights he might have.

i had a kind of boy-crush on jess back then, thought he was the greatest thing ever, so my view is probably tainted somewhat.

but jess it is for me, oh what might have been

booth ended up having a far better career than him.

Greg Cameron youngest ever DUFC player I think at16 before Souttar came along. Recall he scored hat trick from midfield at Aberdeen at 18 and then just completely disappeared

He didn't play for years then randomly was playing for Brechin in a game I watched last year!

Surprised nobody's mentioned Derek Ferguson. Saw him a few times for Scotland U18's and he was unbelievable. Nobody on the park could get anywhere near him, one touch and 3 opponents would be trailing in his wake. Potentially phenomenal that guy. What a waste.

Bagshaw :-)) you must be an aberdeen fan (he was at my school)

IIRC it was Steve Patterson that said he was going to be massive, and closest I think he got to action was a couple of bench moments.

Met his uncle at a number of Aberdeen and Scotland games who said I met him once, but all I recall was this 12 year old kid drinking cola in the background at a prematch pub session once LOL

Edited by wanderer

A wee bit self indulgent here, but I would have to say, Me

I was a lightning fast full back (At 15 I could run 100m in under 11.5 sec), that tackled harder than a fecking truck, and was not that shabby at passing a ball.

I was S Form with the Jags, and St Mirren where interested in taking me on trial, however all that changed when my school teached decided for reasons known only to him, that I would be a better keeper than fullback (Despite the fact that leauge team had signed me as a fullback, another one wanted to sign me as a full back), so I became a goalie and everybody lost interest in me.

And if anybody is interested in what happened to that dick of a teacher, well he is now managing Rangers, so thanks for feck all Mr McDowall, and I hope you get the bullet along with the board.

Rant over

Kenny Mcdowal was your teacher. Story and a half.