Only Me? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a crap first post. Sorry. Just interested.

Round about 40% of people who vote, will be voting No.

I suspect the ratio on here is about 80 Yes to 20% No.

You're far from alone. Plenty good reading on here on the case for Yes though, if you're open minded.

To answer those questions: I hope I am open minded. I have read extensively on the issue, respect everyone's views and not reached my conclusion lightly. This may be unpopular but on the scale of 1 to 10, I am a 1, absolutely opposed to independence.

To answer those questions: I hope I am open minded. I have read extensively on the issue, respect everyone's views and not reached my conclusion lightly. This may be unpopular but on the scale of 1 to 10, I am a 1, absolutely opposed to independence.

Sorry, I'm out.

Certainly, basically I hate nationalism. I hate all the 'them' and 'us' stuff that this referendum has generated. I have friends from all over the UK and just hate the thought of us cutting ourselves off from the rest of Britain. I have always seen the home countries as like four brothers, all with distinct personalities, but with far more in common than differences. We get on each other's nerves, have fierce rivalries, make fun of each other, but, at the end of the day, we would stick up for each other if any of us were threatened. Sad that people want to throw that away. In addition, I don't believe a single word Alex Salmon and Nichola Sturgeon say. I truly believe they are more interested in Scotland becoming independent than Scotland being independent. As Salmond's biographer said, 'It's all about winning with Alex'. They will promise anything to get a Yes vote and have not demonstrated that they have a clear idea of how an independent Scotland would work in practice. It could genuinely be disastrous, and people need to think very carefully before they sign up for such an ill-thought through proposition. And no, I don't believe the statements coming out from the No campaign either but then I don't have to - I have lived in the union for nearly 50 years. I know what it's like. Is rule from Westminster perfect? Absolutely not. There are no end of ways we could improve things but I would rather see us attempt that than go down the independent route.

Edited by phil

Certainly, basically I hate nationalism. I hate all the 'them' and 'us' stuff that this referendum has generated. I have friends from all over the UK and just hate the thought of us cutting ourselves off from the rest of Britain. I have always seen the home countries as like four brothers, all with distinct personalities, but with far more in common than differences. We get on each other's nerves, have fierce rivalries, make fun of each other, but, at the end of the day, we would stick up for each other if any of us were threatened. Sad that people want to throw that away. In addition, I don't believe a single word Alex Salmon and Nichola Sturgeon say. I truly believe they are more interested in Scotland becoming independent than Scotland being independent. As Salmond's biographer said, 'It's all about winning with Alex'. They will promise anything to get a Yes vote and have not demonstrated that they have a clear idea of how an independent Scotland would work in practice. It could genuinely be disastrous, and people need to think very carefully before they sign up for such an ill-thought through proposition. And no, I don't believe the statements coming out from the No campaign either but then I don't have to - I have lived in the union for nearly 50 years. I know what it's like. Is rule from Westminster perfect? Absolutely not. There are no end of ways we could improve things but I would rather see us attempt that than go down the independent route.

Can't agree. I think their priority is not Scotland becoming independent, or Scotland becoming independent, but actually, Scotland becoming independent

This will be open-mindedness in action.

Just curious, what is your view of the Republic of Ireland, the forgotten (half) brother in your analogy?

We want our own political system, not to set sail into the atlantic.