Craig Murray - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he'd be great as an independent anyway, as that is what he is. Single minded and not really wanting to be in a team. Which is perfectly OK but don't use a political party as your vehicle then. Simple.

I like the guy and he could stir up some shit at Westminster but not sure any party would want that under their banner.

As far as I'm aware, he wasn't selected by the SNP, and has spat the dummy out.

The story is:

I was asked at assessment whether, as part of a Westminster deal with another party, I would agree to vote for the bedroom tax if instructed by the Party. I replied “No.” End of SNP political career.

I'm sure the question the question itself is hypothetical... But suspending good candidates because they wouldn't toe party line in a "broadchurch". Poor.

The story is:

I was asked at assessment whether, as part of a Westminster deal with another party, I would agree to vote for the bedroom tax if instructed by the Party. I replied “No.” End of SNP political career.

I'm sure the question the question itself is hypothetical... But suspending good candidates because they wouldn't toe party line in a "broadchurch". Poor.

Totally agree. The problem with modern politics. I'd have taken him in a minute.

mmmm, don't think that question was asked.. but the general line of questioning could well be correct.....

Shame, he would have made good news stories in wee Doogies backyard, but SNP willnae win here,,, prob 3rd safest Labour seat in country..

mmmm, don't think that question was asked.. but the general line of questioning could well be correct.....

Shame, he would have made good news stories in wee Doogies backyard, but SNP willnae win here,,, prob 3rd safest Labour seat in country..

Why don't you think it was asked?

Don't see why having a party full of free thinkers of decent calibre is so threatening...

What I find sinister is hundreds of elected 'representatives' all being told how to vote by a 'whip'.

What a load of utter shit.

Party politics is a huge part of the problem.

Let's unclench and see what happens... explore new ground.

Flora & Thplinth are right, and I believe 100% that that particular question was asked. Most parties want drones not thinkers, that particular question would have weeded out anyone with a grain of integrity.

The candidate I know who is looking to stand in my constituency was asked the same question but regarding Trident renewal, he of course answered No. He hasn't heard back but has been put on edge by today.

Modern politics :(

Plant? Or exposing the "SNP is a broadchurch" as a lie.

I'm undecided, but can quite believe his reasoning.

Plant - I have little doubt. No one is going to tell me he doesn't understand how politics works.

I have always been uncomfortable with him

Some of his stuff is pretty interesting, but there was absolutely no way he would be selected to be a candidate.

I can't recall the exact words, but he called No voters something like "repugnant'' straight after the Indyref. I was raw too, but I'm not a potential MP - the Hootsman and so on would lap him up and probably find more demons in there which Murphy would lap up with his patronising bull.

Agree though that we don't want MPs to be party whipped into submission.

His rejection letter, the bolded bit of jargon is the reason. In other words make his thinking subservient to the party leadership a lot of whom would not be elected.

"Craig
Thanks for coming along to the Assessment Day on 6 December and apologies for not being able to get back to you before now.
I’m afraid to say that the Panel did not feel able to recommend you for approval as a potential parliamentary candidate at this time. While you showed excellent qualities, you could not give a full commitment on group discipline issues, and for that reason the Panel could not recommend approval.
There is scope to appeal this decision, and if you wish to do so then contact my colleague Susan Ruddick – (email address deleted) – who will be able to put that process in train.
Best wishes
Ian
Ian McCann
Corporate Governance and Compliance Manager
Scottish National Party"

"All I have is “you could not give a full commitment on group discipline issues”, and the only question to which I gave an answer that could possibly be interpreted that way, was the one above on the bedroom tax. There was, incidentally, no corresponding question designed to test the loyalty of right wing people."

Italics mine.

Edited by phart

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul" Ghandi

Edited by phart

There is something just a bit funny about him............but I am not going to pass the phart/thplinth test justifying the gut feeling I have had about him since he appeared in the scene....

Edited by Lamia

Gut feelings pass no tests, but it doesn't mean they are wrong.

Political plants exist in almost all movements as evidenced by the police plants in even small environmental groups and more recently anti-fracking groups. Plants exist, security services will be dying to get someone inside the SNP, if they don't already. I find it an entirely plausible situation I was just inquiring if there was perhaps a particular event or something read that was the father of the thought.

Also remember you used to be annoyed that folk couldn't mention you without FE... seems people have more in common than first thought eh?