Clark Carlisle - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

With alcohol it depends a lot on the level and strength, but yes next day depression is a common side effect of alcohol (& drugs). I think I've drank 5 or 6 times since I was 21 (26 now). I would just feel extremely drained, down and lethargic for days.

I also hated the worrying (I have extreme anxiety and even when sober I worry about things I may have said) about having maybe said or done something stupid. Sometimes I wouldn't even leave the house due to the worry.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With alcohol it depends a lot on the level and strength, but yes next day depression is a common side effect of alcohol (& drugs). I think I've drank 5 or 6 times since I was 21 (26 now). I would just feel extremely drained, down and lethargic for days.

I also hated the worrying (I have extreme anxiety and even when sober I worry about things I may have said) about having maybe said or done something stupid. Sometimes I wouldn't even leave the house due to the worry.

"The fear" isn't very pleasant.

If i finished up work after the Office night out my whole Christmas and New Year break was wasted with the dread of going back to work and finding out what id been up to - very much the black dog fear

Thing is almost always its a lot of shite and either you did nothing or everybody was just as bad as each other or nobody gives a rats ass ...

Well now 49 and let me tell you once you get older the hangovers last for me a few days and that's not going overboard so now the only time l have a few swallys is when l follow scotland abroad special occasions that sort of thing or couple of beers of a night whilst on holiday can't handle it any more

Well now 49 and let me tell you once you get older the hangovers last for me a few days and that's not going overboard so now the only time l have a few swallys is when l follow scotland abroad special occasions that sort of thing or couple of beers of a night whilst on holiday can't handle it any more

Im 26 (just) and thats how im beginning to feel. Cant handle it at all and usually drunk after about 6 beers Its shite haha.

Aye, I'm 45 and finally easing up on the Don. I'd sooner have a quiet night in these days but still like the odd session once or twice a month. However, you actually appreciate feeling 'normal' again after a three-day hangover. Edited by Charlie Endell

What people think of Clarke Carlisle as a person, pundit etc is another matter, having a go at him for speaking publicly about why he took the decision to try and end it is out of order. What he's done is raise awareness on how low people can get to that they feel the only way out is to end it.

Depression is something that is very often dismissed very quickly, especially with high profile figures with the perception of "how can he be depressed with that amount of money in his account", and it's important to realise that not everyone deals with depression in the same way and people should be encouraging others to talk about it. If people dismiss them or are unwilling to listen etc, that's not going to help. Not everyone has depression but everyone at some point has had some low points and you'll probably find they feel better for talking to someone about it.

Should consider this before having a go at someone for raising awareness.

What about the lorry driver who hit him? Imagine what he must be going through, poor guy has probably struggled to go back to work and must be a seriously difficult time for him. Plus Carlisle has a family but still did this. Selfish p*ick all round IMO.

He may have acted selfishly but if he has depression and his actions were driven by the illness and not his personality then I'd argue that in he suicide attempt he wasn't being a selfish #####.

What people think of Clarke Carlisle as a person, pundit etc is another matter, having a go at him for speaking publicly about why he took the decision to try and end it is out of order. What he's done is raise awareness on how low people can get to that they feel the only way out is to end it.

Depression is something that is very often dismissed very quickly, especially with high profile figures with the perception of "how can he be depressed with that amount of money in his account", and it's important to realise that not everyone deals with depression in the same way and people should be encouraging others to talk about it. If people dismiss them or are unwilling to listen etc, that's not going to help. Not everyone has depression but everyone at some point has had some low points and you'll probably find they feel better for talking to someone about it.

Should consider this before having a go at someone for raising awareness.

Spot on.

Think of Gary Speed and Paul McGrillen to name but two whose reasons for leaving too early appear to have been unexplained to those close to them.

• 4 months later...

:rolleyes:

I know its not as simple as that really, but ig carlisle wanted to take his own life he could have done it in a way which didnt put anyone else in danger for a start.

Not saying suicide is selfish in itself.

I know its not as simple as that really, but ig carlisle wanted to take his own life he could have done it in a way which didnt put anyone else in danger for a start.

Not saying suicide is selfish in itself.

'Selfish ' is exactly what I thought when I read the story today. I can't claim to understand depression (even though my missus thinks I suffer mildly from it at times but I'm too feart to really dig into it tbh) and maybe it's a bit harsh, but Carlisle directly contributed to the guy's death.

If someone is in a mindset that they are able to take their own life then unfortunately some might not be thinking about other people, so calling someone selfish is incredibly harsh

I did acknowledge in my original comment that I was probably being harsh and that I don't claim to understand depression. I'm well aware it's my own ignorance contributing to how I feel about Carlisle's method of attempting to top himself.

I did acknowledge in my original comment that I was probably being harsh and that I don't claim to understand depression. I'm well aware it's my own ignorance contributing to how I feel about Carlisle's method of attempting to top himself.

Not having a go, i work in psych and even for me it's hard not to have that thought right away

If someone is in a mindset that they are able to take their own life then unfortunately some might not be thinking about other people, so calling someone selfish is incredibly harsh

Absolutely. For someone to be so low as to be in the frame of mind to even think about it, never mind actually going ahead with the act means that any rational thinking is long gone.

Iv'e seen too many friends and family suffering horribly from serious mental illness and it makes me sick to the stomach when easy throw-away lines are used to label them. The press are just as bad with some of the mind numbingly ludicrous headlines they publish in cases like this.

Absolutely. For someone to be so low as to be in the frame of mind to even think about it, never mind actually going ahead with the act means that any rational thinking is long gone.

Iv'e seen too many friends and family suffering horribly from serious mental illness and it makes me sick to the stomach when easy throw-away lines are used to label them. The press are just as bad with some of the mind numbingly ludicrous headlines they publish in cases like this.

Alan Brazil comments about Robin Williams were some of the worst