Postal Votes - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Postal Votes

By post: You can apply to vote by post. You will need to fill in an application form and send it to your local electoral registration office to arrive by 5pm on 3 September. You can get an application form here.

Your local council can send postal ballot papers to your home address or to any other address that you give. Ballot papers can be sent overseas, but you need to think about whether you will have time to receive and return your ballot papers by 10pm on 18 September.

You will be sent your ballot papers ahead of the poll. If they don’t arrive, you can get replacements from your local council up to 5pm on Thursday 18 September.

By proxy: If you can’t go to the polling station and don’t wish to vote by post, you may be able to vote by proxy. This means allowing somebody you trust to vote on your behalf. You will need to fill in an application form and send it to your local electoral registration office to arrive by 5pm on 3 September. You can get an application form here.

When you apply for a proxy vote you have to state why you cannot vote in person. Anyone can be your proxy as long as they will be aged 16 years or over on 18 September 2014 and are a British, Irish, other European Union or qualifying Commonwealth citizen. They must also be willing to vote on your behalf. You will have to tell them how you want to vote.

- See more at: http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/the_independence_referendum/guide_to_voting.aspx#sthash.j6UzBt0Z.dpuf

Do all postal votes go to the same location or will the postal votes for each local authority be included in the result for the local authority from which they originate?

I believe they've started opening them and they appear to be being opened in the county in which they were sent.

No feel a bit like wearing a condom, rather than going to the voting booth, and making your mark ? :-)

& premature

I'd have rather went on the 18th. Unfortunately my mate is getting married in Mexico and I'll be there.

My brother and mother got postal votes a few days ago. They didnt want them, nor did they ask for them. However, they still got them.

The only reason we can think of was that they both asked for postal votes ages ago, and somehow seem to have got them again. Mum called to try to get them to take them back and give them normal votes, but for some reason they wouldnt/couldnt.

By the way, my brother was a staunch No. It came to blows at Christmas (as it always invariably does) after drinks in the Park Bar with comments such as what will our tax system be in 2016, too poor, too small, too stupid etc etc.... My mother, on the otherhand, was born in Iran and always learned towards the SNP, but only voted once.....

Both voted Yes.

My brother and mother got postal votes a few days ago. They didnt want them, nor did they ask for them. However, they still got them.

The only reason we can think of was that they both asked for postal votes ages ago, and somehow seem to have got them again. Mum called to try to get them to take them back and give them normal votes, but for some reason they wouldnt/couldnt.

By the way, my brother was a staunch No. It came to blows at Christmas (as it always invariably does) after drinks in the Park Bar with comments such as what will our tax system be in 2016, too poor, too small, too stupid etc etc.... My mother, on the otherhand, was born in Iran and always learned towards the SNP, but only voted once.....

Both voted Yes.

What a result. Does anyone know a Yes/undecided swaying and voting No? Genuine question.

J

Both voted Yes.

Once you register for a postal vote you stay registered for a postal vote for future elections unless you ask for it to be changed. You don't need to re-register for a postal vote for each election.

Once you register for a postal vote you stay registered for a postal vote for future elections unless you ask for it to be changed. You don't need to re-register for a postal vote for each election.

Ah, that explains it then. They werent happy. Something to be said for actually going to a polling station to vote. Still, 2 more Yes votes, rather than 1 No vote.

Postal votes in Highland are being checked on Monday but it is only a sample they do, to check signatures or D.O.B etc. The rest of the votes aren't opened. They also don't look at the vote and turn the card face down. Although when opening many of them you won't be able to help but notice how they voted so you will be able to do a very rough calculation on the number of votes you see.