Postal Votes - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Postal Votes

Postal votes surely don't get opened now? The deadline for returning hasn't even passed yet!

I know one area where they've checked them, but as Iain says it may just be a sample. Definitely wasn't where I heard the two numbers noted above.

@ stapes

just a prediction, I fear you have peaked too soon and postal votes would be relatively easy to manipulate.

if they don't go with the general consensus give or take a few % I would smell a rat its not rocket sciience

Can the mods advise why I can quote posts ??????

Edited by Newryrep

@ stapes

just a prediction, I fear you have peaked too soon and postal votes would be relatively easy to manipulate.

if they don't go with the general consensus give or take a few % I would smell a rat its not rocket sciience

Can the mods advise why I can quote posts ??????

And we will never know as the postal votes aren't being counted separately they are being dumped in with the rest of the votes on the night.

I hear a lot about Postal vote scams but I'm not sure how big an issue it will be. If the postal votes are being counted on the night we will have observers there watching it. How are they going to get away with it? Don't forget a lot of the folk doing the counting will be YES voters as well. I understand the "dead folk do vote" system that certain parties are renowned for but there is only so much they can get away with on that front.

We have about 700,000 postal votes. Even if they managed to pochal that result from about 50;50 to say 60:40 that would only be about 140,000 votes which might be enough to swing it. But gerrymandering on that scale would need a concerted effort - somebody would blow the whistle on that one. We just need to work even harder to make sure we get another 140,000 YES votes by legitimate means.

Despite the promising polls this isn't over yet. We need to work even harder in the last 2 weeks.

Don't believe the polls, especially when they start telling you what you want to hear.

Many years ago the way I saw them doing it wasn't postal votes but votes that flooded in at the last 10 minutes at a polling station. To do that they would have to have polling staff onside,don't think it could happen now.

I think the polling stations will have to stay open longer as a lot of the "missing million" won't know what to do, daft as that sounds.

I think the polling stations will have to stay open longer as a lot of the "missing million" won't know what to do, daft as that sounds.

Said on the radion this morning that they had issued instructions for polling stations to stay open if there were queues - i.e. so long as you turn up by 10 pm you'll be allowed to vote.

A wee question about postal votes. If someone from my work was going away on holiday and wanted a colleague to deliver their postal vote to a polling station because they don't trust the post, would it be accepted at the polling station?

yes but it must be sealed and in the same counting area.

Said on the radion this morning that they had issued instructions for polling stations to stay open if there were queues - i.e. so long as you turn up by 10 pm you'll be allowed to vote.

yes this is a change in legislation if you are in a queue as the clock strikes 10 you will still be able to vote.

They introduced it for Euro elections but I doubt it happened anywhere far more likely for the referendum.

yes this is a change in legislation if you are in a queue as the clock strikes 10 you will still be able to vote.

They introduced it for Euro elections but I doubt it happened anywhere far more likely for the referendum.

There were problems here in Sheffield at the last General Election - the regulations, I believe, at the time were that if you were inside the polling station at 10pm you could still vote. Certain stations were inviting anyone who was queuing outside into the building at 10pm then locking the door, whereas others were turning away people standing outside.

There were problems here in Sheffield at the last General Election - the regulations, I believe, at the time were that if you were inside the polling station at 10pm you could still vote. Certain stations were inviting anyone who was queuing outside into the building at 10pm then locking the door, whereas others were turning away people standing outside.

Those and other cases were why they changed the law. Previously if you hadn't been issued with a ballot paper before 10pm you couldn't vote- the polls had to close. Many polling station staff took the pragmatic decision to give ballots to those in the queue or delay the close of poll while others adhered to the letter of the law. The law has been updated to sensibly allow those queuing to vote.

They have changed the rules for the referendum. The polling stations will be open for an extra 2 hours in the morning but only for YES voters. And they will be open for an extra 2 hours at night but only for NO voters. So No voters can stay in the pub till eleven o'clock and still have time to vote on the way home. They drew lots to decide which way round it should be. Seems fair enough to me.

They have changed the rules for the referendum. The polling stations will be open for an extra 2 hours in the morning but only for YES voters. And they will be open for an extra 2 hours at night but only for NO voters. So No voters can stay in the pub till eleven o'clock and still have time to vote on the way home. They drew lots to decide which way round it should be. Seems fair enough to me.

I thought the rule for No voters was that instead of doing a physical vote they just had to text the word NO to 1707

We have about 700,000 postal votes. Even if they managed to pochal that result from about 50;50 to say 60:40 that would only be about 140,000 votes which might be enough to swing it. But gerrymandering on that scale would need a concerted effort - somebody would blow the whistle on that one. We just need to work even harder to make sure we get another 140,000 YES votes by legitimate means.

Despite the promising polls this isn't over yet. We need to work even harder in the last 2 weeks.

Don't believe the polls, especially when they start telling you what you want to hear.

How many people would you need to get 140,000 votes rigged and how would you go about it? Since you know it would be so many it would leak.

What about those that live doon soof and have got a postal vote via family/friends/properties they don't live in. How is the 'ordinarily resident' test being monitored? I fear a lot of fraudulent 'no' votes...

Probably just as many Yes ones to be fair...

I tried to register at my parents house, sent off the forms to the electoral registrar any everything........

til a latter arrived at their house, and my faither opened it by mistake - he's a solid No unfortunately, and he phoned the registrar to say that I didn't live there and wasn't eligible to vote! :-))

Probably just as many Yes ones to be fair...

I tried to register at my parents house, sent off the forms to the electoral registrar any everything........

til a latter arrived at their house, and my faither opened it by mistake - he's a solid No unfortunately, and he phoned the registrar to say that I didn't live there and wasn't eligible to vote! :-))

nae phone tehm up and tell them he disnae bide there either - reregister him to your address

I thought the rule for No voters was that instead of doing a physical vote they just had to text the word NO to 1707

Have you not been reading the other threads? In return for getting his preferred referendum wording in the Edinburgh Agreement, Salmond conceded that a non vote counts the same as a No vote. So therefore, if you want to vote No, you don't actually have to do anything. David Cameron has arranged it already. You only have to actually vote if you want a Yes vote.