Alcohol On Football Buses/trains - What Is The Law - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alcohol On Football Buses/trains - What Is The Law

What is the law on alcohol on football buses, is it just banned on the way to the game or is it a full day ban on matchday?

We are taking a bus to Dublin next year, I assume since we are travelling on a Friday it will be allowed or as we are en route to a football match is it banned?

Getting told different stories

It's banned on the way to/from a Sporting Event in Scotland. On matchday.

It should be fine on a bus trip to Dublin.

I'll have to dig out the exact piece of legislation though, but, I suspect the police will do you for something else if they stop you and don't like the look of your face.

It's banned on the way to/from a Sporting Event in Scotland. On matchday.

It should be fine on a bus trip to Dublin.

I'll have to dig out the exact piece of legislation though, but, I suspect the police will do you for something else if they stop you and don't like the look of your face.

yeah if you could it would be appreciated

I think the letter of the law says that it's illegal on any vehicle hired purely for the purpose of going to a designated event & as far as I know without reading it in detail doesn't specify days; plus allows for events outside the country to be designated. So the trick seems to be to book it as a weekend in Dublin, during which you might take in a football match.

The legislation is here if you have time to read it:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/39/part/II(Scotland specifically)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/57/contents(original UK law)

What is the law on alcohol on football buses, is it just banned on the way to the game or is it a full day ban on matchday?

We are taking a bus to Dublin next year, I assume since we are travelling on a Friday it will be allowed or as we are en route to a football match is it banned?

Getting told different stories

You're not allowed to drink alcohol on a bus whether you are going to a football match or not. Travelling by train in Scotland there is an alcohol ban between the hours of 9pm-10am and at times when there is a large sporting event on at Hampden or Murrayfield.

It's a bit of a sore issue for me this one. I was at a long-distance (& fairly low-profile) away match a couple of seasons back & came out to find that a bottle of fizzy pop I'd had in my bag had leaked everywhere, damaging a load of my stuff. The coach driver told us the Police had been & had "a bit of a nosy around"; so I'm pretty sure they took the top off, had a sniff of it & put it back not fastened properly. I just got laughed at when I (calmly of course) asked the Police in the vicinity what they'd been up to.

Still p*sses me off every time I think about it.

You sure that's right?

There's busses up here specifically designed for boozing on the way to/from (playing) golf. I've also done it before on corporate days out and that.

I'd be interested if there are figures on what is & isn't designated. As far as I know, every (professional) football match is automatically regardless of the risk profile but undoubtedly all sorts of corporate days are fine. In fact I aren't sure how many (if any??) non-football designated events there are where restrictions would apply beyond the vicinity of the ground.

Random police roadblocks on matchdays (seriously).

Aye, but he said any bus, football or not. I've been on quite a few buses where drinking is positively encouraged. It isn't against the law to drink on any bus. Just football busses. Unless the law has been changed very recently, which wouldn't surprise me. It's getting to the stage where you wont be allowed to fart without the government knowing about it.

I don't drive but I travel a lot and sometimes I use a coach/bus.Apart from the stickers saying it is illegal the driver will normally tell the passengers prior to commencing the journey that if you are drinking or drunk you will put off at the next available stop.

Now you utter prowlin wankstains can either choose to believe me or you can go on a bus with a cargo and see how far you get.I couldn't give a feck how you decide to roll TBH.

I don't drive but I travel a lot and sometimes I use a coach/bus.Apart from the stickers saying it is illegal the driver will normally tell the passengers prior to commencing the journey that if you are drinking or drunk you will put off at the next available stop.

Now you utter prowlin wankstains can either choose to believe me or you can go on a bus with a cargo and see how far you get.I couldn't give a feck how you decide to roll TBH.

Are you talking about public buses? I am pretty sure that on private hire buses it is just down to the policy of the bus company. I don't think there is any law banning consumption of alcohol an all buses. If there is then plenty of folk, including bus companies, are ignoring it.

As an example we hire a 50 seater every second year to go from Bath to Cardiff for the Wales v Scotland 6 Nations game.

We are on the lash from the moment it moves from Bath until the time it pulls into Cardiff.

Similarly Madmurphys busses from Zurich to Vaduz in Liechtenstein were a boozy affair as was Vilinus to Kanaus busses.

It seems that there's a problem in Scotland.

J

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/ArtsCultureSport/Sport/SafetyIssues/SportsGrounds/AlcoholControl

Alcohol Controls at Sports Grounds and Events
The controls over the carriage and consumption of alcohol, first introduced in 1980, are set out in Part II of the Criminal Law (Consolidation) (Scotland) Act 1995 ( www.opsi.gov.uk). Section 18 of the 1995 Act empowers the Scottish Ministers to designate sporting events and grounds that are subject to alcohol controls.
The current designations state that FIFA, UEFA and Scottish association professional football matches played at the grounds of clubs in the Scottish Premier League, Scottish Football League, Highland League and at Murrayfield will be subject to alcohol controls.
The controls do not apply to a non-designated event at a designated ground. Events such as concerts, American football, rugby league matches, rugby union club matches are not and never have been designated events.
In June 2007 the Scottish Government de-designated Murrayfield Stadium and other stadia in respect of international men's rugby matches.

No voting toffs can get steaming on a public bus going to watch grown men fondle each other for 80 minutes.