England Match Thread - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England Match Thread

1320lichtie

Martin is a good player we, we will see the best of him soon im sure. In Gord we trust

I still think Rhodes should be in ahead of Martin. Rhodes has played well and scored in a Scotland jersey and is consistent at club level season after season. Martin is a decent player and had a good year last season but that was the first time he's had a good season in his career.

Few complaints under Strachan as things are going so well, for me, a couple of players not worthy of the squad - Chris Burke is an example and otherwise it's all the most positive it has been in years

Edited by ProudScot

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Rhodes should be in ahead of Martin. Rhodes has played well and scored in a Scotland jersey and is consistent at club level season after season. Martin is a decent player and had a good year last season but that was the first time he's had a good season in his career.

Few complaints under Strachan as things are going so well, for me, a couple of players not worthy of the squad - Chris Burke is an example and otherwise it's all the most positive it has been in years

I'm not a massive fan of Martin but he's the top or second top goal scorer in the championship right now.

That'll be not bad you'll be amongst the atmosphere being beside the English

Canny wait haha.

They originally emailed saying they would reprint it then when I called to arrange pick up they claimed to not have the email and said the police wouldn't allow them to reprint. I'm guessing that's because they aren't using the barcode scanners, which is also stupid.

Canny wait haha.

They originally emailed saying they would reprint it then when I called to arrange pick up they claimed to not have the email and said the police wouldn't allow them to reprint. I'm guessing that's because they aren't using the barcode scanners, which is also stupid.

I actually wish it was me, I reckon it would add to the game..yep I agree.. I thought it was a godsend they weren't using the barcode scanners because of the issues last time - never seemed to help on Friday.

Martin has 10 ( 20 last year) so far, Rhodes 5 (25 last year) mc Cormack, 4 (28 last year) top scorer last year.

Why is he not getting a mention

Because he is not capable of playing as a lone striker. You could maybe play McCormack in one of the wide positions, but I don't think he would be as effective as Anya, Maloney or Naismith. Rhodes or McCormack would only really fit if we changed our whole way of playing, i.e. if we used two central forwards. I don't think they are good enough players to justify that, particularly when the team is functioning well.

I'm amazed at the stick Martin is getting. He did very well the other night, holding the ball up and causing their defenders problems. I don't see how he can be written off without getting a full 90 minutes. We've got 3 lightweight players in behind the striker, so there needs to be a physical presence to allow them to get up the park.

I'm amazed at the stick Martin is getting. He did very well the other night, holding the ball up and causing their defenders problems. I don't see how he can be written off without getting a full 90 minutes. We've got 3 lightweight players in behind the striker, so there needs to be a physical presence to allow them to get up the park.

I don't think he held the ball up once, was on the deck more than on his feet. He looked shattered by the end and isn't anywhere near mobile enough. Love to be proved wrong but don't rate him at all at this level

If we put out a B-team it might look like this:
Chris Martin
Johnny Russell Craig Bryson Graham Dorrans
Darren Fletcher James Morrison
Craig Forsyth Gordon Greer Christophe Berra Steven Whittaker
Craig Gordon
Still pretty good!

Puttin Chris Martin in goal such a good idea? I know Craigie has one hell of a shot on him tho...

Looking at the England squad and from what I've seen - England could play a team something like this:

Forster

Clyne, Cahill, Smalling, Gibbs

Milner, Henderson, Barkley, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Rooney, Berahino

I hope we play something like this:

Gordon

Whittaker, Hanley, Martin, Robinson

Brown, Morrison

Anya, Dorrans, Maloney

Naismith

I don't think he held the ball up once, was on the deck more than on his feet. He looked shattered by the end and isn't anywhere near mobile enough. Love to be proved wrong but don't rate him at all at this level

Agree with pretty much all of that.

Also he missed an absolute sitter.

This 100%. And he's been the same every time he's played. Some people have been giving Fletcher stick but the difference between his hold up/link play and Martin's is night and day. Martin just looks slow and cumbersome every time I see him.

His playing time so far adds up to a grand total of about 100 minutes (half v Nigeria, injury time v Georgia, 20 v Poland and 35 v Ireland).

He's doing much better at the same level of football as Stevie May. Russell isn't the right type of player to play as a lone, hold the ball up striker. If anything it would make more sense to play both him and Martin, as that's what they do for Derby.

100 minutes is a lot more than May and Russell have. In those 100 minutes he has shown that he isn't any better than any other 3rd strikers we've used in the past decade. E.g Makail-Smith, Mackie, Goodwillie, Griffiths etc

I'm not writing him off, far from it. I'm just more interested in seeing how May or Russell get on. We took the risk with Robertson, who's to say the other 2 aren't the next to step up to the plate?

Russell and May are players I feel could go onto great things. I think Martin is at his level in the championship.

Oh and when I said Russell, I assumed you would know I meant behind Naismith.

Edited by Tartan blood

Because he is not capable of playing as a lone striker. You could maybe play McCormack in one of the wide positions, but I don't think he would be as effective as Anya, Maloney or Naismith. Rhodes or McCormack would only really fit if we changed our whole way of playing, i.e. if we used two central forwards. I don't think they are good enough players to justify that, particularly when the team is functioning well.

He has often played as a lone striker. That is rubbish